1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant e3

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Peak chamber pressure is reached by e3 about 4 10/1000 of a second faster than it is reached by Green Dot. I find it difficult to accept the idea that a person can shoot a round with one load and then 15 minutes later shoot a round with another shell and distinguish a difference of a few 10/1000 of a second between the shells.

I do like both e3 and Green Dot. My experience with e3 is limited. I do load quite a lot of Green Dot.

Pat Ireland

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

e3 is a bit more expensive per pound but it also loads more shells per pound. A little arithmetic will show it is not more expensive per shell.

Pat Ireland

3. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have Been using Red Dot for all of my Trap shooting life. Talk about a fast powder. Not only that but I shoot it through a Reminngton 870. This is supposed to be known as a kicker. I use 16 Grains of R.D. for 16's and 17 Grains for Hndycps. Both loads are 1 oz. shot and Claybuster Wads 1100-12. That puts the kick down and smokes dem birds. Have shot other powders but to me R.D. has my vote of confidence. Rich (inPeoria,Az.)

4. frank t

frank t TS Member

I've reloaded it since it came out. I use it in the winter time because it is absolutely reliable with any primer. As pointed out above it is slightly more expensive then other powders but because you use such small amounts it is cost effective. I believe it has the exact same burn rate as red dot and the red dot data can be used interchangeably with it. However the density is different so the bushings will not be the same. Terrific with 1 oz loads. 1250 to 1290 fps. Great Powder. By the way I thought recoil depends on the amount of the powder used not the burn rate. The amount of e3 used is less than other powders.

Frank T

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I'd double check how much powder you're actually using. With the components you listed, and the amount of powder you say you're using, that should at most be a 2 3/4 dram load. I use around 16 grains of e3 with Winchester hulls, primers and wads for a 2 3/4 dram load, and the recoil is the same as I'd expect from any 2 3/4 dram load.

At the 3 dram level, e3 does start to get a bit kicky for my taste over the course of 100 birds, so I use Green Dot or WST for the heavier loads.

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.