1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant E3 Powder - good or not/

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sharktown, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharktown

sharktown Member

I have been shooting with Clays for a number of years now and really like it - easy metering and burns clean but recently it's harder to come by. Alliant E3 seems like it's more available.
    My question is how does the E3 compare with Clays? I'm not a competition shooter and mainly shoot from 16yd and occasionaly 20yd once a week. Is the E3 powder a good substitute for Clays or is there a better one?

Guy

2. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

Try Alliant Titewad. Clean burning, meters well and lots of loads on the Alliant site. Seems to work best at 1145 fps for 11/8 oz loads and makes great 1180 1 oz loads. My favorite is 17g, Titewad, 1 oz 8's, target 12 wad, STS case, and Fiocchi primers. Really smokes the birds from both the 16 and 22.

....Paul

3. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I shoot E3 exclusively in my 12 ga loads. I think it meters better and burns cleaner than any other powder I've ever used. Garrett

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

E3 is hard to beat for standard loads. It is a little fast for Caps, but is supreme for 24 and 28 gram loads.

5. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use 17.2 grains of E3 with a Downrange Jammer XL-1 wad, 1 oz of 7.5 shot and a Winchester 209 primer. Very clean burning powder.
    Fred Wiedemann

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

E3 is an excellent powder. Clay Dot is a direct replacement for Clays. Can't go wrong with either powder.

Pat Ireland

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

E3 seems to be fine in my one oz loads.

Titewad is made by Hodgdon, by the way, not Alliant. If I were loading Clays before, I think I'd try Clay Dot.

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

IMO, e3 is the best powder you're going to find for 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz and lighter loads. The price tag usually scares people away, but if they'd sit down and figure things out by shell rather than jug, they'd find e3 is less expensive than just about everything other than Promo. I'm on my 5th or 6th 8 lb jug of e3, and I plan on sticking with it as long as it's around.

~Michael

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a significant preference for e3 over Clays, or Clay Dot. It does all standard loads well. IMO it's too fast for 3 Dram 1 1/8oz and super handicap, but for anything slower or smaller, it's the king.

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I really like E-3 for 1 oz. loads. I am on my 5th or 6th 8 pond jug. I shoot all year and E-3 works well in winter.

For 1 1/8 oz loads, I like Green Dot. Shoots soft and hits hard.

For 1 1/4 oz. loads, Herco is the man.

I used to load up to 40 grains of Blue Dot for 1 1/2 oz loads but I gave up the heavy stuff.

Match your powder's burning rate to the weight of the shot and you will be well satisfied. One size fits all is for sweat pants.

I have never used Unique but I hear it makes a dandy 1 1/8 oz load if you are looking for over 1200 fps.

Alliant powders are all made in the USA and I do not have a problem finding any of their powders.

Ed Ward

11. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I like E3. When loaded to the same velocity as Clays, the charge will be 0.5-1.0 grains lighter - You save a little powder per shot. Plus it is usually 3-5$ cheaper per 8 lbs. than Clays. I have a jug on order after testing it with a chrono. Low residue. It seems to take a few less swabs to get the barrel really clean. Great for 7/8oz., 1 oz. and I'd take 1 1/8oz. up to 1200fps with it. If you can get E3 for the same price or cheaper than Clays, buy as much of it as you can afford to shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant e3
alliant e3 powder
alliant e3 powder in stock

alliant e3 powder review

alliant e3 powder reviews
e 3 powder

e3 powder

e3 powder review