1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant e3, clay dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ColBuckShot, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Would like help from exp. reloaders. What is the differance between e3 and Clay Dot, how do they compare with Red Dot.
    Im using 12 ga, AA hulls and WAA12 wads, 1 1/8, wanting to reach 1,200 fps.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, I don't reload AA components, but I have used a lot of all three of the powders you mentioned.

Red Dot is more linear, more forgiving and dirtier. Clay Dot is cleaner, shoots more consistently over a chrono, and is $3 a jug cheaper than red Dot. e3 is cleaner yet and is very consistent, even in the cold.

At this exact moment, I like e3 first, then Clay Dot, the Red Dot for 1oz loads.

For 1 1/8 oz loads @ 1200fps, the only one I would use is Red Dot. And even then that's more pressure than I'm comfortable with. I prefer American Select for my 1 1/8oz loads, or Green Dot.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Above is a link to the only chart I can locate that includes all 3 powders as numbers 11, 13 and 14.

You didn't indicate which primer you were using and that's actually the most important information to me. Although these powders are close to each other in "burn rate" each of them will respond to the same primer differently and the pressures they will generate may be vastly different than their relative burn rates would indicate. Looking for comparisons among these three powders can be misleading.

Morgan

4. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Capt Morgan: the above link?
    Im using Win 209, would appriciate the help.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

So sorry...

I'm in the process of having my own most-used loads tested for pressure and velocity and I'm finding that the interaction of primer and powder is a lot more complicated than I suspected it would be when just looking at loading data.

I'm also finding that the lack of data for Clay Dot powder can cause problems. The results I got with Clay Dot powder loaded to Clays data was much different than what the data suggested it should have been. I've decided that every formula I load using Clay Dot powder will be sent for pressure/velocity tests before I start using it to put rounds downrange.

Morgan

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Col:

I began using E3 this summer after using IMR 700X for over 20 years. I love E3 in that it is very consistent, very clean and stable as the temperatures drop. I load it in STS and Federal Gold Medal hulls for 1 oz. of 8's at 1180 fps.

The Alliant web site has a fair amount of loads for E3 in STS, AA and Federal GM hulls.

All I know about Clay Dot is that it is Alliant's version of Clays. If you like Clays and want to buy a USA made product, I guess you would like Clay Dot.

To me, E# is a super clean Red Dot. Red Dot, 700X and E3 have the same burn rate according to the Alliant web site.

I went with E3 because it is Alliant's latest and greatest powder for 12 gauge target loads if you consider Clay Dot to be a copy of Clays.

E3, Red Dot, Clay Dot, 700X and Clays are all great powders. IMO, E3 is the best of breed for its burn rate for 1 oz. loads.

For 1 1/8 oz 1145 fps loads, I plan to switch from 700 X to Alliant Green Dot due many good comments I have heard about great performance by Green Dot in STS hulls using the Remington 209P primer and Fig 8/TGT 12 wad.

7. ColBuckShot

ColBuckShot TS Member

Is the general consenus that a slower powder like American Select or Green Dot is better for 1 1/8 and a faster powder is better for 1 oz.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

for 1 1/8oz loads @1145/1150fps I would not hesitate to use any of the powders you listed. I still prefer American Select for those loads, but I use a recipe that generates 9000psi to keep everything consistent. Green Dot is too slow for consistency at these speeds unless it is warm.

You specified 1200fps loads. I want a little headroom pressurewise, to accommodate the normal variation of pressures generated by "identical" loads. That puts fast powders out of the picture, except for Red Dot.

Since I stopped using PB, my all time favorite 1 1/8oz loads are:

STS hull, W209 primer, 19.1gr Green Dot, Fig-8 wad, 1 1/8oz West Coast magnum shot for 1150fps.

Substitute 18.5gr American Select for the Green Dot and you have my current favorite.

Bump the Green Dot load to 20gr and the Am Sel load to just under 20gr and you have 1200fps.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt- Your current favorite load (18.5gr American Select)is also my favorite.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot burn rate