1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant American Select -- ? / opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Apr 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys I'm not hard up for powder by any means. I'd like to think I have enough to get through this shortage or until things settle down some. But, like most others who knows when that will be. Especially when primer and powder limits are in place where I buy my supplies.

For the most part I load (2) 12 ga. loads one with Clays and one with Green Dot.

It appears that 8 pounders of Clays and Clay Dot has dried up and my dealer. The price of Clays has gotten out of hand anyway, so I'm not that heart broken. I liked the going price of Clay Dot. Huge savings. Thought I'd Buy another today. Didn't happen, sold out. Pondered over an 8 pounder of American Select but didn't pull the trigger on it.

I guess my question is, are you guys satisfied with your results with American Select? It appears to have a variety of recipies for both AA's and Remington Hulls. My components match up real well with relativly low pressures. Just fishing for a few opinions. I'm not opposed to trying something different or at least having a good powder for my own stock. Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Am Sel is one of my favorite powders. I use it for bunker loads and my handicap loads. It also works well for 1oz loads as long as you keep the speed at 1200fps or more. It is super clean, meters well and provides consistent SDs when I chrono my loads. My only complaint is it is sometimes hard to get.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I'm gonna pick up an 8 pounder. I can only hope it will be there for me. I used alot of Red Dot years ago (never had an issue with it, actually liked it) but, switched over to Clays when all the rant and rave started years ago about it. Green Dot I use for handicap/sporting clay loads and is very user friendly with all components.

The only Alliant powder I've heard negative comments about has been the Promo powder. I wasn't told that is was rejected powder but, It was a subpar powder and could be marketed as a cheap inconsistant powder. Not sure if this the truth but, there has to be a reason it is very cheap in the full scheme.

4. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I shot a couple 50 srt8`s with AMselect,
    it was originally touted to do such things.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It doesn't like cooler weather (40 & below) with Remington Primers, although Rem is a moot point anyway.

best....mike

6. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

It'a all I used.

Very clean.

Adios, Dirk

7. Don S

Don S Member

During the last shortage, when I couldn't get 700X, I used American Select. No problems. Very similar results.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Very Good Powder for loads 1 ounce and less.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I think I'll grab it tomorrow. It fits my components well for 16 yd. targets and skeet loads. A no brainer for a quality powder. Who knows when Clays or Clay Dot will come around. I have a one jug limit per purchase, 4 or 8 pounder. Maybe they'll let me buy it tomorrow over the phone and keep it until Saturday pich-up.

Winchester Hull
    Amer. Sel. 18.0 gr.
    Win. 209 Primer
    AA wad
    7 1/2 - 8 shot

Winchester Hull
    Amer. Sel. 18.5 gr.
    Win. 209 Primer
    Windjammer Wad
    8 1/2 shot

Remington STS
    Amer. Sel. 18.5 gr.
    Win. 209 Primer
    Fig. 8 Wad
    7 1/2 - 8 shot

1145 FPS ~ 8100/9400 psi

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Those are good loads, Spanky. You should be pleased with them. You can go up to ~20gr for a nice back fence load. Although, when it got to this point, I switched to International Clays, which, I believe, is in plentiful supply, and somewhat more versatile, especially with the Winchester primers and wad selections you've made.

best... mike

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have tried it in light one ounce loads and stopped because of so much unburned powder in the barrel. It's not a fast burning powder. I assume that is what zzt is referring to about keeping the speed over 1200.

12. wlc

wlc Member

I switched from Reddot to AmSel because I heard that it was a little cleaner.
    I really have not seen much difference but it works well in 1 oz loads with about 17.5 gr and 1-1/8 with about 18.5. These are in Rem hulls and fig 8(clones). I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Reddot though.

13. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I shot about 20 pounds of it 6-7 years ago when a local store got a huge amount when buying out another vendor. I liked it for 1 1/8 oz loads but found it to leave more unburned powder than I liked if the pressure was low. The results on the target, pattern and shoulder were fine. It was cleaner than the red dot I shot, but I use International now which is cleaner. If I had the chance at it at a great price I would not hesitate to shoot it again.

14. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

It is a good powder. It needs about 1 grain more than Red Dot for a similiar load. Slower than Red Dot but not quite as slow as Green Dot.

15. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

"Slower than Red Dot but not quite as slow as Green Dot." Perfect description Gregg.

I have loaded allot of AM Select and I luv it. Very clean always available. Loaded thousands of 9MM cartridges as well. Great powder.

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If I can get 8, 12, or 16 pounds of it I'll probably be set for a long time. I use Green Dot and 20/28 as well. In a panic I bought an 8 pounder of Clay Dot the other month when Clays way not availiable. Ihave not loaded with it yet.

I will not dis Clays. I like it but, it is scarce at times and not sure if the price difference is all that and a bag of chips when it comes to powders. I've used alot of Red Dot at one time and I thought it was great powder also. I'll probably just stick to Alliant products. They have a wide variety of it for target, hunting loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant american select

alliant american select powder in stock