1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ALLIANT 410 POWDER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by peddler, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peddler

peddler Member

I am loading Old style AA- 410 hulls both with Silver and Black AA on the cases. I am using 11.8 grains of 410 powder and either a WAA 41 or a CB 5050 wad and not getting a good closure on the case ( shot on the outside of the case ).
    Doses anyone have a sugestion for this loading issue. their just seems to be to much shot for the above mentioned wads.

Thanks

Jon

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

As the shotgun case gets smaller (12 to 20 to 28 to 410), how things stackup gets very critical. A simple wad change could solve the problem. I would suggest the PC Orange 410 wad. I've had good success with them in the old CF hulls. Gamaliel has them. ...Bob_K...

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Check the wieght on the shot charge. Ten percent over one half ounce is max legal. Jeff

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm using 11.5 of 410 with those components in the silver lettered AAcfs and everything fits. Dunno if .3 of a grain makes a difference. I don't remember if I have the true 1/2 ounce bar in or the full NSSA max bar.

I get an occasional black lettered AAcf and everything just fits. If I have a lot of black lettered hulls I'd considered get some PC wads.

5. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

As what bigbore suggested. The siver lettered are alittle longer than the black lettered ones. I still load the silver hulls with Winchester 296, and 225 grains of hard 9's, and have plenty of room.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I am with Bob K on this if you are loading the black lettered CF AA's the PC orange wad is needed.

The silver lettered are longer and the wads you are using will usually work fine.

Bob Lawless

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Funny you should ask; I just received a note from Ben at Alliant on this and he recommended 11.5 to 11.7 gr in the CF case. Try the reduction and see if things fit.

Did you chrono any of the ones you loaded? How fast are they?

I am not up on the wad numbers; is that the old style wad or the new HS type?

The latter may be a tighter fit

regards

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too say check your shot drop!!! 218.8 is a standard drop and 229 is max period. I have loaded with both the 5050 claybuster and the PC wads. For old style hull I would have to say go with the PC wad as well. The wad fingers are abit shorter and will allow a small percentage more shot if you need the room in the black letters hulls. I used the PC's in all 3 types of hulls with no problems at all. Now I use the HS only and the 5050 at this time. Everything loaded with Hll0/296. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

9. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

410 hulls can vary in length even in the same brand. Keep a variety of different wads so you can get the right wad heighth. Bob

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Just checked. When I was loading black lettered AA410cfs I was throwing a true 1/2 ounce of shot, not the NSSA max. I can get the NSSA max to fit in silver lettered cases. No real difference in scores between true 1/2 ounce and NSSA max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.