1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alliant 20/28 Powder - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bob_K, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I got some of the new Alliant 20/28 powder and it really looks promising. It is a small flake powder, smaller than Unique, and it meters exceptionally well thru my PC powder baffle. Powder drops are consistently spot on. Using a load of 12.8 gr in an STS 28 ga once fired hull, STS primer, PT 28 wad, and 3/4 oz of shot, the first thing I noticed was how sweet the load went together. Beautiful crimps with no adjustments on my MEC 9000H. Looks like factory (or better).

Went to the range and shot a couple of rounds of Skeet: 24/25 with the miss purely mine, then 25 straight.

I reloaded the fifty fired cases tonight and the first thing I had to do was confirm these were the cases I had already reloaded once. This powder is so clean you sure can't tell from the (twice) fired cases. I had to take a second look! They look just like factory once fired.

I already load Alliant powders in all my other gauges. This powder will be my choice for the 28 gauge to make me 100% Alliant.

Good Powders, Alliant! All I need now is some load data for Winchester AA old style 28 ga hulls, Red Duster wads, and a WW or CCI primer. (I'm sitting on 5K old style hulls that have been reloaded only once.)

2. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

May I ask where you were able to purchase the powder? City and state or website please. I am in Northern Nevada and it hasn't reached us yet.

Thank you.

3. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

Also Mr Bob_k, would be willing to sell some of those 28 ga hulls?

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

A club member had some one pound containers of the powder, marked Lot 001. I traded him some PROMO for some. No, I was not a beta tester, nor am I in the employ of Alliant. Heck, I don't even own any Alliant stock. I just like their powders.

I have an order in for an 8 lb container to CAC Associates with my club's clay bird order. I'll find out tomorrow (Friday - late) if they have it in stock and what the price is.

You know, after reading Peter Lynch's book, "One Up on Wall Street" maybe I should buy some Alliant stock. They have good products and competitive prices. Lynch says invest in what you know.

Paul of Alliant: I am willing to work for Alliant if you need help testing powders. I come cheap...some powder, a few bags of shot. Ok, I said cheap; forget the shot.

TheGentleman: Sell my old style WW AA 28 ga hulls? Sorry, don't think so.

5. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

I read Mr. Lynch's book as well. I agree, Alliant might be almost as good as the mutual funds I have with petroleum and metals.

I was just curious about the powder, it looks promising to me.

I understand your reluctance to sell the 28's. Thank you anyway.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

My order from CAC Associates included the 8# keg of 20/28 I ordered. The price was the same as the price for Alliant 410 or 2400 powder.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am fairly new at loading the 28 gauge but I am not getting very good life out the STS hulls. The plastic around crimp section becomes brittle and cracks after a couple of loadings and I am wondering if this is due to the powder I have been using (Universal Clays). The WW HS hulls seem to be more forgiving. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.