1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Allem Release Trigger Roller vs Reg. Difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RioVistaBob, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RioVistaBob

RioVistaBob Member

I thinking about getting an Allem Roller release for my TM1. Can someone tell me the difference in feel from the roller to the regular type in a release. With a release is it worth the upgrade?

thanks
    Bob

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I find mine to be more crisp and "certain" than all of my previous non-roller releases. But perhaps the benefit of being able to change the release speed by simply changing rollers or changing to a pull trigger by removing the roller is even more important.

Ed

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Ed, did you get extra rollers with yours?

I've just gotten an Allem Roller release for my Perazzi and it's nice, but so far I don't think it's any better than the standard one.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ya set the trigger and let it go. If you shoot a 5.5 lb. set with a 2.5 lb. letoff that's what the release triggersmith adjusts it to. Put a new hammer spring in each year and the trigger usually returns to spec. If a release trigger needs constant adjustment find another gunsmith or scrap the gun.

About the only good thing about a roller release is your ability to return it back to pull when you sell the gun!!

5. RioVistaBob

RioVistaBob Member

I like that you can change it back and forth. Good selling point but the bad is you can't keep the trigger for another gun.

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

'dawg,

Have you shot one of John-boys roller releases yet, or are you just sayin'?

JR

7. oleolliedawg

Tried 'em Jon and can't see any real difference. What's important with a release is a crisp positive set and letoff set to your personal needed weight. Actual letoff is not important as long as it goes off when you want it. I know guys with releases in BT-99's for over 25 years without ever needing so called adjustments and still shooting fine. All that's ever needed in a Krieghoff release is a periodic hammer spring replacement and a drop of lube(please don't tell Dieter I said that)!!

8. AveragEd

Who said Allem's Roller Releases require periodic adjustment? They in fact probably require less than other designs.

If you prefer older technology, then by all means buy it. But every release trigger shooter who has tried my releases likes them and many have liked them better than theirs. If you think about two flat pieces of metal sliding on one another compared to one of them having a roller, the design makes a lot of sense - less friction, less need for lubrication and less wear, thus less periodic "adjusting."

I dropped off and picked my gun up at Allem's. John Jr. had installed the release in my last gun and knew how fast I like a release, so he put #2 rollers in this gun. He then had me shoot at 25 pairs of doubles (very poorly) with John Sr. to make sure I was satisfied. I was told that if I felt I wanted the speed changed later on, they would send me different rollers but I am very happy with them as is. Since they had an opportunity to change my rollers while I was there if I had wanted them to, I didn't get extras and don't know if they send more than one roller to customers who ship their guns there for trigger work.

No offense ment Andy, but your dislike for the Allems is common knowledge.

Ed

9. oleolliedawg

Sorry Ed. I shoot an Allem release in my K-80 and am pleased with it. I've already pulled a few out of Beretta 682's to convert back to pulls and found no real advantage over others except ease of conversion which I liked. I will add our best friend Carl, agrees with that assessment.

By the way, that's why we recommend periodic lubrication. That's what lubrication does.

The last time I took wifes' K-80 to Krieghoff while Norbert Haussman was #1 at Krieghoff he took one look at the unamed release, (OK, we know who I mean), shook his head and said "scrap-I will build her a release"-no, it wasn't a roller release!!

10. AveragEd

Lubrication makes them easier to convert back to pull??? I obviously missed something there but that's okay.

Ed

11. perazzi mx2000

perazzi mx2000 TS Member

Iam a fan of PG triggers...

12. oleolliedawg

Ed, I see you know little about release construction. Maybe a few years working in a Krieghoff warranty repair center would increase your knowlege!!

13. oleolliedawg

"Authorized Dealer". K-International is the warranty repair center-big difference. There are many authorized dealers!!

14. oleolliedawg

No, but they generally only award one per state. Not my rule-Krieghoff's.

I'm sure you're aware there are also several sub-dealers in western PA.

I'm also sure you know K-International maintains the finest repair facility in the US specializing in Krieghoff products with many full time factory trained gunsmiths in their employ. The rest of us knowlegable individuals recognize Norbert Haussman, former service chief, as the standard by which K-gunsmiths are judged!!

15. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Have owned both... Is it a better design, Yes... Is it a $150 advantage over the old allem release, NO... I was just as satisfied with the original.

Sportalluring

16. oleolliedawg

SPORTALLURING, thank you as that is exactly what I've been saying. Personally, I like the concept but it has no influence on shootability or the need to remove and replace unless you've got more money than brains!!

17. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Dawg... Maybe we have helped Rio with his decision... thanks!

Sportalluring

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would be possible to have a roller on the top of the hook and have that roll into a notch on the hammer instead of having the hook grab the pin?

19. AveragEd

Some folks resist advances in technology. Andy probably thinks the Internet is just a passing fad.

But it is odd that Allems didn't give me any instruction for the frequent lubrication their Roller Release triggers apparently require.

Ed

20. oleolliedawg

Ed, probably not. That's part of the lifetime guarantee with "charged for" tuneups.

Technology fear-heck no-that's why I shoot a Krieghoff!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.