1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

All the Grands ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

If I read the ATA website correctly, there are eleven Grands and Satellite Grands each year.

Grand American

Dixie

Spring

Southern

Southwestern

Empire

Great Lakes

Heartland

Western

Northeastern

Autumn

Figure targets and shotshells for shooting all of them is about $20,000.

Does not include travel expense.

None of the Grands overlap in dates, but some would require a private jet to get from a last day shoot-off at one to the prelim opening at the next.

How many folks shoot all of them every year ?

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

IMO there is only ONE Grand!

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

H1, I think you miss the point. The Satellite Grands _are_ spread out, that's for sure. That's their intent.

Flung out across the continental US, they let members enjoy a "big shoot" a lot closer than the Grand American or other really large events. They are a step up in competition from many (but not all) State Shoots and offer All-American points to shooters who would like to try for them without the trek across the country.

Although there must be people with the money, I wonder how anyone could have the energy to make them all!

Neil

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Everyone underestimates the value of a good travel agent (Leo has me) We usually make it to 7 on the list.

5. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

We can only do what we can,What are dreams made of.

Joe Woods/Ontario

6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Figure two weeks per tournament including the prelims...

Twenty-two weeks dedicated to the shoots themselves...

Time for reloading shells...

Practice time...

$3,000 per week for travel using commercial air travel...

$66,000 + $20,000 = $86,000...

Will need a private jet on three occasions...

Round up to $100,000...

Throw in a normal 70+ hour work week regardless of shooting time...

Does this go on the "bucket list" ?

7. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Just 6 numbers away from becoming a professional trap shooter. Lol

8. trapwife

Hammer1, your numbers are inflated. With the exception of the Grand American, we typically only spend one week at each satelite grand. We drive, so no airfare, but plenty of fuel. We stay on a camper, so no motel bills. If we can't get from one shoot to another, we pick and choose so we go where we can. I'm sure for some who have a job, have family responsibilies, etc, shooting this much sounds like great fun. It is our JOB and just like any other job, it becomes WORK. One big difference, we can travel, work all week and a paycheck is not a sure thing.

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Karla & Leo,

We appreciate everything you do for the trap community and sport.

Can't imagine all the effort y'all have continuously put in over so many years.

Hope there is "pay" in this life as well as beyond in addition to the cash winnings.

Y'all are an inspiration to many.

I learned a whole lot more than just trap shooting during the time I spent with Leo at the two clinics in Casa Grande.

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Karla, I envy you two. Most of us will never have near the talent to shoot for a living. Yes it is work,but it sure has to beat punching a time clock in a 90 degree + factory for 8 hours a day. You guys must do OK or you would not be doing it for all these years. It is always enjoyable to talk to you and Leo.

Best wishes Clyde

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nice thing about punching a clock in a 72° factory 40 hrs a week, is that steady paycheck Leo doesn't get....

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"One big difference, we can travel, work all week and a paycheck is not a sure thing."

Actually, that is something many of us have in common.

All private sector businesses are competing for customers and even extremely successful ones don't always win every time.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would never debate any issue about surity and pay checks but I would consider it a safe bet that Leo is going to get something even if it don't cover all of the expenses every time ... He has earned the right to a pay check and does his "Job" quite well ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. 548

548 Guest

We need Ken Burns to do a documentary on the Harrison family. Follow them around for a year. Document the trials and triumphs. Show us how a hobby turned business works. Every aspect, from winnings to losses to sponsorships to clinics.

I kid you not, I would buy that video.

15. trapwife

Not sure if that video would sell very well, most of the big blockbusters are "R" rated and we are a long way from that! We are basically pretty common, boring, everyday folks. It would be a short movie!
    On one thing we agree, when shooting stops being fun, we will find something else to do. Shooting is where are friends are and has been our lifestyle for many years. I would miss it.
    The payoffs aren't what they used to be, but we just do what we can, when we can. Clinics do help cover travel expenses and we meet the nicest people!

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

How many of y'all have attended all the satellite Grands and the Grand American ?