1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

All or most of us older shooters teethed on

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

All of us older shooters TEETHED on Model 12s, Rem 870s and 1100s, they were plentiful and lesss expensive, and we broke very good scores with them, and some of us still shoot them, and very well. And they used to be all you saw on the trapline. Some had model 31s and very few Ithaca grade 4s and rarer grade 5s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I believe they still keep up with all the latest and greatest of what is on the market today. I think its just more of a statis symbol more than anything and their is nothing wrong with that.
    We all know that a BMW and Caddy cost more than a Ford or Chevy but to many its just to say ( LOOK WHAT I GOT TO SHOOT WITH ).
    Like I have a Iphone and you have a jitterbug.

3. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

An 870 or 1100 is nothing to be ashamed of...Rudy Etchen never needed anything more than his 870 and he was able to run 100 straights with it...in DOUBLES!!!
    Leo Harrison might still be shooting his 1100s if they weren't stolen. There's an old saying that applies here:

It's not the WAND...it's the MAGICIAN

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

at the club, we occasionally , bring up the conversation of mdl 12's ect--new or young shooters just have no clue what we are talking about!!--i grew up in that era, of racks full of 12's & 870's and dearly long for those years --GEES i'm glad my dad took me to those meat shoots!!!!

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Model 12's kick like a mule compared to this newfangled stuff. Nevertheless, a New American trap stock or PFS for mine, when available, might be in my budget. Us oldtimers still believe we've headed in the wrong direction!!

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shot a Mod 31 fpr many years and would still be if I could handle the recoil

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I started with a Citori field and went to a 1100 trap as that was what I could afford in the mid 80's. Bill

8. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Back in the early 60's when I started,all I could afford as I had a wife and two youngsters was an old single barrel winchester ,$18.00 is what I paid for it ,It had a plastic stock and kicked like a mule ,But it would break targets ,,Wish I had kept it ,I sure it would be worth more now as collectable,MX8Dave

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well I figure since I don't break good scores, I might as well do it with a nice gun since a nice feeling machine is part of the pleasure of shooting on the weekend. Heck, best "first tilme with gun score" I ever broke was a 95/100 at the 16 with an old 870 TB single shot trap. Shot the gun once and only once, that day. Shows how "smart" I am!!!

David

10. GBR

GBR Member

I started with an LC Smith double side X side. Now I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

back then 870's and 1100's were the new gun

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I added a Bishop roll over stock, a C.Smith dual spring trigger and enough weight to my old squirrel gun mod 12 to tame the felt recoil. I lost it to a thief for about 9 years and got it back! It now sports an adjustable recoil reduction stock and it's the shotgun I will fire my last ATA targets with when that time comes. Then my grandson gets his turn with it.

Hap

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I started with my Sears/Winchester single barrel 30" full at age 14,...could only dream of 12's 870's etc. When I got back into it I got a plain barreled 870 at a local department store (Cooks)for $119.00 and thought I was king of the line because the old Wingmaster was so nice and shiny...I was happy shooting 20's and 21's because I only shot 2 rounds a week for fun...whe I got the first 99 Plus I was hooked for good

14. KRE

KRE TS Member

Started with a 870, shooting 4th hole targets, at the Dade City rod an Gun Club. an loved it. Shot every Wed night there, an Friday nights we would hit the Hillsboro River GC. My friend Jim Hughs from Zepherhills Fl. and I hit the Dollar on Sat or Sunday every weekend. Miss shooting at Skyway and Cigar City as well.

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The handicap champion @ the 2010 NC State Shoot uses an 870 pump with a fixed full choke. Nuff said.

Phil Berkowitz

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I added a Bishop roll over stock, a C.Smith dual spring trigger and enough weight to my old squirrel gun mod 12 to tame the felt recoil. I lost it to a thief for about 9 years and got it back! It now sports an adjustable recoil reduction stock and it's the shotgun I will fire my last ATA targets with when that time comes. Then my grandson gets his turn with it.

Hap

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I started with my Sears/Winchester single barrel 30" full at age 14,...could only dream of 12's 870's etc. When I got back into it I got a plain barreled 870 at a local department store (Cooks)for $119.00 and thought I was king of the line because the old Wingmaster was so nice and shiny...I was happy shooting 20's and 21's because I only shot 2 rounds a week for fun...whe I got the first 99 Plus I was hooked for good

18. KRE

KRE TS Member

Started with a 870, shooting 4th hole targets, at the Dade City rod an Gun Club. an loved it. Shot every Wed night there, an Friday nights we would hit the Hillsboro River GC. My friend Jim Hughs from Zepherhills Fl. and I hit the Dollar on Sat or Sunday every weekend. Miss shooting at Skyway and Cigar City as well.

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The handicap champion @ the 2010 NC State Shoot uses an 870 pump with a fixed full choke. Nuff said.

Phil Berkowitz

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

cubancigar2000-- How did the recoil issue affect you with the 31??? I seem to remember you saying you also shot an 870??? I have shot both & still am shooting a 31TC, (40+ yrs.) recoil seems the same to me. I do shoot only a 7\8oz. load most of the time but do shoot some 1&1\8oz. which DO have more recoil. Have you tried an 870 Comp or an 1100 or lighter loads??? Hate to see someone have to give up shooting. (especially someone intelligent enough to shoot Remmys) (chuckle) Good luck in your shooting & pending move to Az. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.