1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ALL LJUTIC SHOOTERS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ljutic148, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic148

ljutic148 Member

To all Ljutic shooters,

how much do you like your Ljutic? my grandpa bought me one in august and i have hit a lot of mid to high 90's. i love this gun and comment back on how you like yours. also has anything ever broken on it? Comment back

wyatt

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Wyatt,

I've owned my Ljutic mono gun for about 3 years and just love the thing.

I've had the glue come loose (that holds the comb bracket in place)on a hot day and the comb came out of it's groove. I took it home and re-glued it back in place and haven't had a problem since. That was 1 1/2 years ago.

I've had to replace some 1/8" diameters pins in the trigger mechanism that get worn out after about 2 years of shooting. The hammer rotates on those pins and the pin will get a flat spot on it. Takes about 10 minutes to replace the pins.

I've also replaced my hammer spring (they will wear out after a couple of years of shooting) and should be replaced regularly.

That's about it. Nothing really has broken, just gets worn out after about 20,000 rounds. Enjoy your Ljutic. Easiest gun on the market to work on.

Kevin

3. ljutic148

ljutic148 Member

thanks kevin

when we first bought it nadine ljutic sent us a complete spring set that i am going to replace this winter

wyatt

4. ljutic148

ljutic148 Member

thanks kevin

when we first bought it nadine ljutic sent us a complete spring set that i am going to replace this winter

wyatt

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

IMO, they are wonderful guns. But nobody, nobody, has made a gun that lasts like the valvetrain of a simple pushrod Chevy V-8. Imagine if the valve springs were shot after 20K revolutions! Engine good for, say, ten minutes?

It's all relative.

I suppose I could get a "troll" award if I'd start a thread: "All trapguns are relative junk compared to other machines."...Nah, I won't do that, I am sure the strength of scale has something to do with spring and pin life along with very high shock loads upon firing? Any engineers out there?

6. biff

biff Active Member

Chango2, Huh? Biff

7. JTEA

JTEA Member

The best thing you can do to maintain your Ljutic at peak performance is to get a good trigger pull gauge and check your trigger now and then. Monogun triggers have a great deal of pressure on the hammer pin and will eventually wear out of round. Several years ago Mark @ Joel Etchen's had one which wore down without him realizing it. He was "pre-firing" (New word?) at targets and even set off his gun once or twice. He checked the trigger and it had gone down to 2 + lbs. without his knowledge. The pins wear into an oval shape. For all Ljutic owners; give him a call if you wonder about the veracity. I used to change mine when I subtle changes.

A PA State Champion finally switched guns as he stated that the trigger pull was never the same. I have found that proper cleaning and occasional pin replacement prevents all these problems. My current One-Touch Mono is as fine as any I have owned, a bit different in that the rib adjusts, of course, but also the barrel is lighter and the gun is quicker than most Ljutics of the past. It had a few months use, a plus since Roy @ High Grade Shooters allowed me to test shoot a few rounds before I bought it. I got it home and found the trigger pull to be over 5 lbs. - cured by a good cleaning - now a steady 3 1/4 lb. pull. In cleaning it, I felt something a little uneven in the firing pin action, it kind of caught something inside. The floating pin is new to Ljutic, and was new to me. I disassembled it and found 3 metal shavings from the threading process. (the third piece broke off the end thread when I was cleaning it with a Q-tip)I cleaned it up it it's a real gem. The first owner may have been unhappy with it due to a couple small maintenance items. I feel lucky to have found it.

I have owned an X73, several Monoguns, LTX, a few Dyno-kics and the current One-touch. Don't forget to change the springs, especially on the Dyno-kics. I used to change the large one every year to maintain lock time. I once had a firing pin break in the 1990's, Nadine said they had a metal problem in that batch.

Best wishes with your Ljutic, JT

8. Bucko43

JTEA,

Where would one find a "good trigger pull gage"?

And how much do they cost?

Thanks,

Kevin

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I moved up to A class since getting mine and I am selling every other trapgun I own.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

It's my sign on name...it's my go to gun for singles and 'caps...and I've owned it and shot it since '83....it got me into AA singles briefly and took me from the 23 to the 27 yard line....hell yes, I like my Ljutic X73.

11. JTEA

JTEA Member

Trigger pull gauges:

Here's a couple @ Cabelas - not the best prices, but examples of the simple and expensive:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&selectedPerPage=&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&_D%3Asort=+&sort=all&Ntt=trigger+pull+gauge&Go.x=19&Go.y=6&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

Or just go to Cabelas and type trigger pull gauge in their search. I would check Brownell's or Midway or Southwest Shooters - perhaps Cheaper Than Dirt. You want one that goes up to about 8 lbs. I would not get a 25 lb. spring version. Also very important for handguns, many of which now may come in with too heavy a spring job. (supposed safety issues - not great for shooting)

I have a couple spring loaded versions I use for all my guns. They vary a little, one goes higher than the other so it's spring is heavier. Use a good snap cap as well, one with a spring loaded insert will last for years.

JT

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I've had my Ljutic since 07 and love it. When I got the gun the first place I shot at had a Ljutic owner who has had his since the late 60's and he told me I will miss a lot of extreme lefts and rights tightening up on the trigger getting ready to shoot. He was right. Don't tighten up just wait til you are ready and pull the trigger and your target will turn to dust. I like my gun and wish I had the resources to use it every day. Dan

13. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have never broken anything on my Ljutic's but I suppose I should have a set of springs and a spare firing pin. Do any of the dealers sell a kit? Does anyone on here have one for sale?. Glenn

14. JTEA

JTEA Member

I should have added; when I have bought a previously owned gun I always contacted Ljutic to give them the serial # and my info.. Nadine and even the new owner, Craig, will give you a quick reply and info. on dimensions, back-bore, choke etc. May help if you decide to set up another gun in the future.

I always saw it as a secondary means of proof of ownership and value should you have to file an insurance claim.

JT

15. Bucko43

Glenn,

If you need Ljutic parts, contact Phillip at 210-313-5988.

He's a gunsmith in Minnesota and sells stuff like hammer springs and firing pins cheap. Much cheaper than the factory. He's a great guy to work with and very trusting.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.