1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*********ALL CHIPS AND NO SMOKE**********

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

try 1 1/4 oz and report back

bill

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Could be the choke you're using. Go to a patterning board check the pattern density and where the gun is shooting in relation to where you're aiming. If all of the above are fine then it might be an inconsistancy in your aiming point on the line.

Eric

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Take your adjustable comb and start playing with it. Raise it until you are clearly breaking the tops off of targets. Lower it until you are breaking the bottoms. Side to side a bit but how the gun lines up is most important for cast. Just dial it in. When you are in the center of em' you will start to see a lot of smoke. Jake

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

goose2- Something is wrong with either your pattern or where you are shooting your pattern. You can test your pattern on paper. Most likely you will find that it is OK. Next, try your best to shoot over the top of 25 birds. Don't try to hit the birds, just try to shoot over them. You might be very surprised at the results.

Don't get too wrapped up in the idea that you can tell if you are shooting high or low by the way a bird breaks. If you are actually shooting low and hitting the targets with the open pattern fringe you would expect to hit the upper part of many of the birds and this can cause the target chips to move down. Chips moving up or down will not tell you as much as many believe.

Pat Ireland

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've got the same problem with my new gun. I see smoke only when I move past the target a little (lead). But my brain wants to shoot it sooner. I plan on adjusting the rib down one notch to raise the pattern and keep shooting the same way, same hold points etc. If I need a second notch I will go there. I'm going to keep this simple and change one thing at a time shooting lots of targets in between changes.

Have tested the pattern at 12 yards to check left right alignment and found the choke was shooting to the left. Second choke had a 'leak'. Pattern looked like a tear drop with the point at the bottom. Third choke is dead on horizontally and round. Now I tweak the vertical poi via practice. Tear drop choke had blow by on one side.

Regards, Joe

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Adjustable comb? try lowest position, then highest. work from there. It can take sometime to get what you are after. It could just be the fact that you are alsways around the outer edges of your pattern. I find a lot of times I try to go to fast. Try this. Call for pull then say to your self as you get your eyes on the bird. I SEE YOU. then bang. For me I get smashed/smoked targets on right hand birds but left hand birds are seldom smoked. More of a swing thing I emagine. Im LH so swings to my R are more connected and smooth. As LH swing I know I push the gun with the forearm hand more than I should.

7. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

Go pattern your gun

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It could be the gun, it could be the choke, it could be your shells, it could be you, it could be the targets(smokeless targets), do you understand what I am saying? HMB

9. joe kuhn

hmb has a point. You've got to eliminate some things. Shoot at some cardboard from 12 yards. I've always been told to set up a bench, but I never do. I shoot once at each dot and eliminate any that I know were off, based on what I saw when I shot. 4 - 8 times and you have a good idea where it shoots horizontally.

The reason it's only at 12 yards is because it's easy to find the center of a small pattern.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Your POI is off height wise or possibley side to side or both.

Your gun doesn't fit properly and you move into different shooting positions with it thus verying impact.

To little amount of constriction.

Poor quality ammo.

Incidently what type of gun and choke are you using? Shells?

11. joe kuhn

After reading your initial post again I'm wondering if you're shooting a tad low or a tad high. It sounds like you're pretty consistent. If you have an adjustable rib you can tweak that, else the comb, as mentioned above. Let us know what you find out.

I moved my rib down 1 notch and I like it. Conditions were windy today, so I'm leaving it there for a while. Shooting with a wind to our backs was the closest it's ever come to shooting wobble, so I'm holding my conclusions until I've had a chance to do some more shooting.

This is one of the things I like about shooting. There's a visual, reaction part and there's some trouble shooting. It's a nice mix and it's really up to the individual. Some never change anything.

12. joe kuhn

You might consider yourself done at the pattern board. In my opinion you have just one more thing to do and that is to change something to move your pattern up or down while shooting real targets. I believe you'll know that you've gone the wrong way pretty quickly with some shooting. If you do go the wrong way, you'll be missing and getting 2 and 3 pieces so you can switch back the other direction beyond you're starting point. I bet you're almost done and I also bet you're shooting slightly low.

Get 'em.

BTW, I shoot at a club that throws really hard targets and nobody gets smoke there. It's just not as much fun.

Joe

13. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

You need to pattern your gun find the right choke load combination, it is obvious you are chipping away and not centering your hits.

Berettaman7

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

goose2:

One way to quickly find out if it is a problem with yourself and/or your gun is to use a proven combination that will absolutely smoke targets,

Locate either an older Remington 870 TB or a BT 99 with a fixed full choke. Load either gun with Federal Paper 3 dram 8’s and stand on post 3 at 16 yards. Shoot instinctively.

If you can’t bring smoke, the problem is with you or your gun. Get an 870 or a BT99 and possibly some coaching.

Also, be sure that you have a good visual of the target before you swing. Let the target rise above your barrel before you move to the target. See the target and then shoot the target.

Ed Ward

15. joe kuhn

Try adding a washer to each of your adj comb posts. If you don't have an adjustable comb then you need to get one. Or maybe you have an adj rib?

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Goose2 How did you make out with you gun. Did you pattern it yet?

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get the gun fitted properly...then go to patterning board.

Curt

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As pointed out above it could be many things. I'm going assume that you/your gun/your choke have smoked targets in the past and now your getting chips but you are getting good scores. That tells me the pattern is on target well enough but it is low density or has holes. That happens to me when the choke tube is foulded excessively or when using promo ammo that has low shot weight at high velocity. Start with the easy stuff and work from there.

When I want smoke from the 16 I go with my pet 1 OZ #8 shells @ 1,200 fps and a clean IMod tube in a clean barrel. Talk about a confidence builder!

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Ok. If you think the gun shoots to the left on a stright away target move the comb in if you are right handed or out if you are left handed. Also check to see that you are not canting the gun. This is easy to do with a unsingle gun. You my think the gun is stright up and down but the barrel my be to your left and the sights my look stright. But the rib my not be flat. This is how you check to see if the gun is held flat stright up and down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.