1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

All Around O/U

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Mates, A few weeks ago I shot in a charity event which included rounds of 16 yd.and 24yd. trap and skeet. One of the inexperienced shooters on my squad shot pretty well and enjoyed himself. Well, he just called me this morning to ask about buying a gun to shoot casual trap and skeet and possibly sporting. He wants something he can use for all.

He was looking at a Superposed (possibly a salt gun) skeet gun for $1,700. I explained that such a gun would not be very effective at trap and was questionable for sporters. I also told him I thought the price was high. I told him he needs an adjustable comb and interchangeable chokes for starters. He wants me to help him find a gun.

Well, I am a Perazzi guy but I don't think he wants to spend the 3 to 4 grand necessary to find a used P gun to fill the bill. So, in the under 2,000 range what do you all think. I don't mind watching for a good used gun at a good price. In fact, to me that's part of the fun. Suggestions? Regards, Jake

2. emm2

emm2 Member

Any Browning. Cynergy or citori. Shane

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Cynergy or a Beretta 391 parallel target.

Jerbear

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The Citori XS Special or XS Skeet are both terrific all around guns....the special even gives the buyer a choice of hi or low rib type

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jake, I would not dis the Superposed. A Lightning Broadway in 32" is a superb gun. You do not absolutely need an adjustable stock. You can send the gun down to Briley and have him put tubes in both barrels for $350. I'd much rather do that than buy any later Browning. BTW, $1700 is too high for a salt gun unless it was factory reconditioned in Belgium.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Your friend would be best served by a Sporting-type gun or a modern skeet gun.
    It's a lot easier to break trap targets with a sporting gun and to break sporting targets with a trap gun.
    Trap guns are very specialized, made for shooting ONE type of target only.
    Skeet and sporting guns are made to shoot ALL types of clay targets; rising, falling, incoming, outgoing, crossing, etc.
    Trap guns are made to shoot one type of target: rising/outgoing.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

If he is looking for an O/U I would steer him towards a sporting clay model gun because of both the stock dimensions but also the rib on the barrel.

Most trap stock dimensions have very little if any at all drop in the stock and usually have a monte carlo raised comb in the stock and a most sporting clay guns have a very slight drop in the comb of the stock and are more of a straight comb where a skeet stock usually has a good drop in the comb. A good overall all stock if he is planning on shooting all clay target sports would be to go with a sporting clays gun

Now concerning the rib most trap and sporting clay guns have a wider rib than skeet and a wider rib would be prefered for all around use so once again a sporting clay gun would be best.

The other thing to consider is most skeet guns are only 28" or shorter barrels which is alright for sporting clay but a little short for all around trap. Most sporting clay guns are 30" or 32" barrels which is fine for skeet and good for sporting clay or trap. Once again the sporting clay gun works best for it all.

Now regarding brands for an O/U there are those that will say Browning or Winchester but if he is looking for a good quality O/U that will not break the bank I would steer him towards the 686 White Onyx by Berreta, not the Black Onyx or Onyx Pro but the White Onyx which is there basic sporting clay gun and depending on where he gets it from can be had from anywhere from $1750 to $1900 brand new including a hard case which does not come with a Browning.

If he would want to go with a semi-auto I would suggest the Berreta Urika-2 Parellel Comb gun with either the 30" or the 32" barrel as well.

Overall I would suggest Berreta ... no matter what I would suggest Berreta over Browning. I have heard many more stories about Browning service issues and very very few about Berreta and that says allot about the companies when your talking about the same ballpark priced guns.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Geez Lumper ... what a bunch of good advice that was, whats wrong with ya? Normally it would be a bunch of worthless hooie crap from ya but not this time ... what wrong with ya cause that was actually pretty useful information and suggestions ... are ya sure ya aint actually a shooter of some sort and ya know your stuff?

9. Terry Patterson

Terry Patterson TS Member

Lumper, off your meds again?

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Matter of fact ... yes I am, I aint shot very much lately and I'm have med withdrawls.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I have a Winchester 101 with Briley chokes and a Hissem adjustable comb. Solid piece of equipment, can shoot any game. He should be able to duplicate for less than $1500.00

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... just another thought ... if he is new to this sport there is nothing more thrilling than buying your first NEW gun ... there will be many deals out there for used guns but there is nothing like buying your first NEW gun.

With what your describing that he is asking about he should be able to get NEW for $1500 to $2000 with all the chokes and everything he will need to start him on his journey of clay target sport shooting.

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

You can't even hardly get a good all-round sling shot these days for under $2,000. My advice would be to opt for one of the better older guns in this case....maybe a Browning Special Edition Trap[which is good for skeet and clays as well], or some other O/U like a used SKB, etc.

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

before you make your buy decision go look at CDNN - they have some excellent deals on sporting guns. you will have no problem getting a NEW gun within your budget.

the browning cynergy sporting with adj comb and 30" barrels is right there at $2k and the winchester select energy with adj comb and 30" barrels is only $1289.

those two would make outstanding all around shotguns.

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Give me an old K-32- 30 or 32 inch ,with screw ins . Jeff

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'm going to half to agree with Mike on this one. I bought an older 682 with 30" sporting barrels (screw in chokes) and it has a parallel stock on it. This gun shoots very well and I use it for trap, skeet (full set of Kolar AAA tubes), and sporting. I may invest in a set of 32" barrels on down the line, but for right now it'll do as is!

ec90t

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I agree with zzt.....the Superposed is a great gun....I have been shooting my ST-100 (a low production volume version built from 1979-81 with no side ribs and adjustable POI) since buying it new in 1980. It is my doubles gun and is a great shooter. Superbly made and undervalued in todays market. At around $1500-2000 they are a bargain considering a new Broning Superposed from the custom shop is over $15K. Most of the ST-100's, if you can find one, had very nice wood on them, plus mechanical triggers. JMHO

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I may as well put in MY .02. I DID buy two fixed stock Cynergy Sporter 30" guns. The last two CDNN had. I have had a most pleasurable break in cruise with one of them. It shoots a little better than 60/40 for me. I have shot excellent scores in Trap, Skeet, and Bunker with only a choke change. I ran a 50 straight the first time I shot Skeet with it. I shot a 97 at 16's the first time. I shot a 46 at ATA dubs the first time. (cold, rainy, windy day) Shot a 47 (23, 24) on the ATA 27 the same cold, rainy, windy day. Shot a 96 on our ABT field. Same gun, SK/SK chokes for Skeet, F/F for everything else. I used 24 gram loads on everything but Caps. The gun handles recoil so well I was able to shoot three dram standard Trap loads without flinching, and even enjoyed shooting these heavy loads so easily.

My Skeet gun shoots around 60/40. My Trap Unsingle shoots around 70/30. I am used to floating the bird in all games. The Browning's POI works for me.

As far as Beretta VS Browning. I formerly performed warranty service and repair for Browning, and was factory trained. I am a Beretta Armorer, and was also factory trained. I work on both of them. THEY ARE BOTH FINE FIREARMS. They both give a minimum of trouble. The Citori likes firing pins and mainsprings regularly. The Beretta seems to limp along on these same parts for a long time. Parts, when required, are inexpensive. Factory repairs are seldom required, but take a long time for either maker.

The Winchester Select IS A HYBRID BERETTA. This says volumes about the design of the Beretta. The Browning Citori is a pretty faithful copy of the old Superposed design from many decades ago. This says a lot about John B's original design.

Which one fits you best? THIS should be the deciding factor in the purchase. As one with an average build (5'11", 175 lb), the Browning fits me very well, be it Citori or Cynergy. The Beretta is a little lighter and seems to have more recoil. YMMV

As far as the Cynergy, having shot one, I would buy again even if near retail.

The Sporter I have is truly, for me, a "do-all" gun. It was bought as a backup. My Krieghoff is having anxiety attacks because I have not shot it since I bought "little brother" for a backup. ;^)

Buy the Cynergy with confidence, it is all Browning.

19. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

DB Bill had a nice 680 Beretta combo listed sometime back for 2300.00. This would give him a skeet gun, sporting gun and a single barrel for trap. I owned 3 of them and they worked for all sports very well. Also, this gun was fixed choked from the factory. Great gun for the money,hope this helps, Roy

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ads/support/pdf/05_194_wfa_selecttrap.pdf The winchester select for its price is looking better and better for a do all gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.