1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

All American Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lucky hunter, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I may have the rare opportunity to be a Junior All American this year. My question is that i know that i need 3000 singles, 2000 caps and 1000 doubles, but is that in one year or in a span of 2 years?

Thanks

Kyle

2. Carl Chadwell

Carl Chadwell TS Member

One Target Year which runs from September through August.

peace.

3. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Also make sure you meet the 3 state Championship target requirement.

Above link has all the rules

good luck and shoot well

4. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

wow thats a lot of targets in 1 yr. Thanks for the responces but i will not be able 2 get that many targets in.

LH (Kyle)

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its not for everyone. You not only have to shoot that many targets but you have to shoot them very good. You have to earn all those All American Points. The top point recievers in each category are your teams. They all have to meet those minimum requirements. Most that make the AA Teams shoot far more than the minimum.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I commend you on the confidence of youth.

7. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I already have about 300 points and i havn't shot all winter. According to shootata.com last yr the junior on the last spot on the team had 335 points.

I just don't see how any junior could aford $1000 worth of shooting a year.

Maybe its just me but i think the requrements are kind of high.

Kyle

8. grntitan

Actually the last spot on the 2010 Team was Preston Crandell with 892. I believe only the top ten are considered the Team. I could be wrong though.

Don't be discouraged though. The vast majority of those Junior shooters are not shooting a $1000 worth a year. Its a far greater dollar amount than that and i'm sure their parents are eating that bill. Just say'n........................

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Kyle,

Everyone on that list is considered an All American (per Kathy), but there are 2 teams that are recognized by the ATA and honored in Trap and Field etc.

Check your points right now and sit down with your parents to discuss whether or not you can attend a few of these shoots and win.

The Grand, Satellite Grands, OH State, PA State, MO State, Cardinal Classic, or Buckeye.

You should also attend and win at your state and zone shoots. If you live in one of those states, then you have an advantage and should consider it in your decision.

You count your points from the 7 best shoots during the year and with a few exceptions most shooters attend more than that to get their points.

Here are your minimum target requirements:
    3,000 singles, 2,000 handicap, 1,000 doubles

FYI - last year was anomaly and a few juniors were cut from the team for disciplinary reasons.

At $32 a 100 for targets it's a lot more than $1000 especially when you add in travel and 2 weeks at the Grand.

Breakem All
    TNCoach

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

To get your totals you don't have to shoot $32 targets. Many small clubs throw targets for under $20, no points but you hone your skills and get your target count. Get a rule book and read Section XI, subA, sub 1 for the out of state requirements.

Also remember that Juniors shoot for reduced fees at most clubs and major events so your target costs just got cut in half even at the big shoots.

Stay positive and you can do it.

Don

11. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

Thanks for the replys. I just don't think it will happen this year.

Maybe in the future

Kyle

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Be wary. The future might be 65 and veteran!!!

BIGDON is right though. Get targets at local clubs for less$. Find the 3 states closest to compete in. Limit your shooting to the weekend championship events at the big shoots etc... and win!!!

Good luck

13. lucky hunter

lucky hunter Member

I have the 3 states covered...(Michigan, Ohio and Illinois). My problem is getting all of the targets in. I live in Michigan and if i shot our whole state shoot, the weekend of the Great Lakes Grand, a summer shoot in mason and another little shoot at my club...i would still be almost 500 targets short and thats if i shot ALL of the events at every shoot.

Thanks and shoot well

Kyle

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You have to weight weather the "glory" justifies the time and expense. You will get a few "high fives" and that's about it.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Kyle,

I think it's an admirable goal to go after. It's not just the prestige of being an All American. It also shows a single minded dedication to a goal. Even if other people don't know what an ATA All American is, they can appreciate the effort it takes to be one. This will help you in future endeavors.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Kyle,

Do not let anyone discourage you. If you live near SE MI you can shoot ATA targets for free at my home club (Birmingham Gun Club). I will pay for them and give you shells (Top Guns) for the 500 targets you need. Come to our Zone shoot!

I have shot with Andrew; so he and his dad know who I am. PM me if you are interested, or I will be at the GLG if you want to drop by. I think I will be in space A5. It will be the Fuzion Toy Hauler 5th wheel on the front row.

MAKE THE DARN TEAM. Most have no chance of doing so.

Andrew needs the competition!

Don Verna

17. grntitan

Who tried discourage him? The truth is the truth. It will be a steep endeavor both cost and time wise. I hope this young man does make the team but he needs to know(as well as his parents) what it is really gonna cost. Its not just price of targets but ammo, hotels, meals, etc. etc. You also have to win.

I know quite well the parents of one of the 2010 Junior Team All American. I have also been told how much it changed their whole families lives making it happen. Just say'n.......................

18. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There are 2400 targets available at the Grand. Then there's the Cardinal classic the week after.

There's the Central Zone shoot at Brittany Shooting Park, Bunker Hill, IL the weekend before the Grand. Shoot that and then travel down to Sparta for the Grand and you'll have more than 3,000 targets right there.

All of the shoots I've mentioned are All American qualifying shoots.

Good Luck.

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've heard many a shooter here say it costs a dollar a target to go to a shoot away from your home!!! Might just be more today!!! Let Kyle add up the cost/time factor and make his own choice. Best of Luck to you Kyle!!! Break-em all. Jeff

20. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

My recent trip to San Antonio for the Southwestern Grand cost $1.15 per target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.