1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alfermann vs. Ljutic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ryan_687, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to TS as of today. A lot of interesting topics and useful information throughout the website. Always enjoy reading the threads. Now for my first post. What is the difference between an alfermann and ljutic. I'm up to date with my ljutic knowledge, but would like some info on alfermann. I've shot a club members ljutic multiple times and really like the feel of the gun. The mono gun was well balanced, had fast lock up time, and was simple. Only three moving parts in the L trigger. Is the quality and craftsmanship of the A gun comparable to a ljutic? Also, the ljutic customer service is great. I've talked with Craig at ljutic a few times and he was very helpful. Any info on the alfermann and how to get in contact with them would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Chev or Ford? Vanilla or Chocolate?

Ryan, every piece of information you will now receive here will be very subjective on this subject.

I am sure both guns are great. I own a Ljutic, and I have shot an Afermann borrowed from a guy at my club. I could not tell you if one is better then the other. I can only tell you which one I liked and shot the best. Would that information be of value to you? I kind of doubt it.

Many who will post after me will tell you the features and benefits of both guns. Will that information be of value to you. I don't know.

The only way to tell if any gun is the right gun for you is to shoot it, see how it feels and see how you perform.

I do not own a Ford or a Chevy. But I think they are both great car brands.

I drive a Porsche 911 and shoot a Krieghoff.

But if I could only own one trap gun, it would be a Mono Gun.

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Have known the Ljutic Family for Many Years..Have and currently Own a Mono Gun Set. Years ago had the Good Fortune to Meet The Alferman Brothers and purchase one of there First Production Run Guns at The Old Grand. Both Guns and Family are Fabulous for our Sport. You can't go Wrong with Either Gun...It's just a Matter of Choice..A Test Drive will Help you make up your Mind. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

4. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Amen to both comments...I have owned two Ljutics..still have 1774...I also own Alfermann #271....outstanding guns.....it's a matter of choice...However, my main squeeze...is #271

Dave E.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I shot a Ljutic for 19 years and my Alfermann now for 12 years. The Ljutic is lighter and the Alfermann has the better trigger(subjective opinion), but I'm intimately familiar with both. I've spoken to Nadine at the Grand and have had a personal relationship with the Alfermann twins. You can't go wrong dealing with either.

Buz

6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I own a Ljutic mono and an Alf. I will ALWAYS grab the Alf. The trigger is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior in the ALF to the Ljutic.

7. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I've shot Ljutics, and really enjoy them, but I own and shoot an Alfermann. Dealing with Gary Alfermann was a pleasure. He really wants the people who own his guns to be happy - how unusual in today's world.

8. ryan_687

ryan_687 TS Member

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. The info was very helpful. Is there any contact number for alfermann? I would like to see which guns are available for purchase. Do the alfermanns retail for less than the ljutics if bought new? I've been doing some research and its hard to find alfermanns that are for sale. Does alfermann offer an adjustable rib?

Thanks,
    Ryan

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

There are three of them for sale below.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Alferman and Ljutic were both reluctant to put out an adjustable rib, The first Ljutic Adj Rib was the ARS and it was a flop to the shooters, then the One Touch that was designed on a napkin was well accepted.

Alferman spent a little more time on their's and was abetter choice, it did cost both of them sales due to late decisions of what the shooters wanted and those sales went to the KX-5, Brownings, Beretta, which built what shooters wanted.

I honestly think the Ljutic could be built a lot cheaper by design and machining required to build them.

The trigger pins in the Ljutic is a weak point, They break, they are too small In My Opinion for the stress of the hammer, had one break yesterday, good thing I had spares.

Pat Mcarthy gave Ljutic an Idea for their pull trigger which they are adopting
    it is the PM trigger, it is the same design as the release trigger but without
    the release hook, It has the sear that the release has, and drastically helped the Ljutic Pull Trigger, Trigger pull is more consistant now.

Now the choice is yours, Shoot both, then check trigger pull with Trigger Pull Gauge.

It can be installed on old triggers but requires the trigger housing nto be milled out for the sear. This is minor machining on a CNC Mill, but overpriced by Ljutic, they want to sell you a new trigger housing.

It takes a new design pull trigger itself, it is a release w/o hook.
    2 pcs required, Sear and Trigger Ljutic wants $150-165 for the sear and $265 for the trigger. They are asking $600 for the modification.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Stl Flyn

How do Alfermann's open? Do you pull the trigger guard back or something. Seems like the only thing I can see that would release the barrel.

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

buy a K-80, it puts both those you mention to shame

13. NSXER

NSXER Active Member

Alfermanns:

Moneymaker aftermarket adjustable rib on the left; Factory AR on the right.

Trigger guard pulls back to open.

Clean design & great trigger!

P1000302.jpg?t=1312549559

Ljutic One touch Mono:

Ljutic.jpg?t=1312550416

Steve W

WA State

14. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I really like the wood on the Alfermann on the right Steve.

15. Stl Flyn

Steve,

Nice display, but I would be so nervous about those guns falling that I would feel sick! If one would go, they both would be down.

16. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Steve....a man after my own heart!

scissors.gif

17. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

These guys know their stuff; just keep an open mind and try to shoot a case through both, then pick the one you like....

After I bought my Ljutics, the search was over for me. I didn't need anything else for my singles and handicap gun. I did, however, just purchase a used MX3 Combo that I will use for my doubles gun. I'm rather new to this sport (it's my third year), and next year will be my first shooting doubles with the Perazz. My first year I shot singles; my second year had me shooting skeet and singles; my third year has me shooting singles and handicap (I dumped skeet). Next year I'm going to shoot the big three: singles, handicap, and doubles. As far as guns, I couldn't want more than the Ljutics and the Perazz MX3.....Cya

18. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Not knowing where the original poster lives makes this harder but here goes..
    Merlyn of *MERLYN'S TRAPGUNS* is the world distributor for the Alferman line. He travels to a lot of large shoots and has them on display and available for a customer to try out. A great guy who is easy to deal with and stands behind his products. He is currently at the Grand. After that mostly local shoots in Eastern Missouri till the Missouri Fall Handicap... He will be there also.. If you are from the midwest he lives near highway 70 west of St.Charles county, Missouri.... Good luck deciding on which gun to choose, I don't think you would be disappointed with either...

Gery

19. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you can handle a 10+ pound trap then the choice is easy if you're looking for quality gear --- the Alfermann.

Do a search on trapshooter's and you will find several for sale at very nice prices....there was one for less than $5,000 that appeared to be in great shape and a tremedous bargain.

20. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i love alfermanns they are great guns and you never see a ugly wood on the guns, the best wood i think comes from alfermann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aftermarket ljutic trigger

alfermann trap guns

alfermann vs ljutic
is a ljutic release trigger housing different than a pull trigger housing