1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alfermann Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

Can anyone tell me which Alfermann is most sought after in general terms. The Silver Dollar Special or the standard gun. What , if anything is the difference between the two models.
    Thanks
    Doug

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

Mac thanks for the information. I have one of each and they are both have brushed silver receivers

Great guns.
    Doug

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Goggle would put anything on their site if you paid them enough. The Alfermann is a well-designed and good looking shotgun that to me has only one fault -- they weigh more than 10 pounds which can partially be attributed to the beautiful wood typicall use.

The Blaser hasn't been around long enough to compare it to the other quality shotguns.

I think if you took a Remington 3200, a Kolar and a Blaser and put them into a magic blender the result might be a pretty good shotgun.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think the Alf is the best looking gun made today. Blazer?? Thats a bunch of hype for nothing IMO

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a early gun and the rib is on the barrel I have seen other Alfermanns with a rib back on the receiver the owner called it the Mohegan rib as it looks like a mohegan style hair cut. I think the SD specials had this rib.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How would we consider the Bill Cole compared to the Alfermann and to the Kolar Combo?

(I'd like to have some of each and display them in the hallway to my living room that affords a view from the mountains to the oceans overlooking Malibu. Home under construction, 6000 square feet and six car garage. Ray Kappe design. Then I woke up.)

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

mac1, thanks for the very interesting post. The Alfermann gun looks beautiful. I also remember Bill Cole as a fine and honest gentleman, talented and humble. I had the pleasure of meeting him and speaking with him during the last year of his life. Knowing that he also admired the Alfermann product speaks very highly of the Alfermann.

I am curious why you think you and the Kolar did not bond.

Regards,

David

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Mine was #149. We tied for high score in Grand Amer Handicap (fat guy from Jersy took shootoff). I sold it because I also had that stupid Silver Seitz (big mistake, sold wrong gun). AJ

10. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have had both and to be honest I prefer the Alfermann. I'm not sure how they do it but to handle and shoot the Alfermann it feels lighter than the Seitz. The only way to really feel how much heavier it is is to pick up one than the other. Both are about as good as it gets in a single barrel trap. And the service from both shops is also top notch.

--- Chip King ---

11. OLD ONE EYE

I shoot a Cole it just works for me better than any other gun I tried. Just shot it right from the first day I got it love at first shot broke a 92 in caps first time out. It was used and shot a lot so I sent it to Bill he went threw the gun and replace some parts in the forarm went over the rest of the gun and was such a fair and generous person I wish I had the chance to thank him personally/ He even sent me one of his Cole hats. This is the crazy part I purchased a Alfermann as a back up gun and when I got it I like it very much but could not shoot it as well as the Cole took me 3 months to dial that gun in just this week I had the stock cut to match the exact dimensions as the Cole and bingo now they shoot as twins I am elated I bought both used but tell all my friends I just want to live long enough to shoot these 2 guns till they fall apart. Cole # 49 Alfermann # 11

12. Butler

Butler TS Member

there is no comparing the trigger of a Alfermann to the trigger of a Cole gun, and there are only two components in a trap gun, the barrel and the trigger
    Jim Butler

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have had both and to be honest I prefer the Alfermann. I'm not sure how they do it but to handle and shoot the Alfermann it feels lighter than the Seitz. The only way to really feel how much heavier it is is to pick up one than the other. Both are about as good as it gets in a single barrel trap. And the service from both shops is also top notch.

--- Chip King ---

14. OLD ONE EYE

I shoot a Cole it just works for me better than any other gun I tried. Just shot it right from the first day I got it love at first shot broke a 92 in caps first time out. It was used and shot a lot so I sent it to Bill he went threw the gun and replace some parts in the forarm went over the rest of the gun and was such a fair and generous person I wish I had the chance to thank him personally/ He even sent me one of his Cole hats. This is the crazy part I purchased a Alfermann as a back up gun and when I got it I like it very much but could not shoot it as well as the Cole took me 3 months to dial that gun in just this week I had the stock cut to match the exact dimensions as the Cole and bingo now they shoot as twins I am elated I bought both used but tell all my friends I just want to live long enough to shoot these 2 guns till they fall apart. Cole # 49 Alfermann # 11

15. Butler

Butler TS Member

there is no comparing the trigger of a Alfermann to the trigger of a Cole gun, and there are only two components in a trap gun, the barrel and the trigger
    Jim Butler

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi Old One Eye; I must suggest that our Bill Cole guns are related; I own number 48. Love it. Also have a Kolar that seems so much like the Cole, same stock dimension and POI, got lucky. But the Kolar is lighter and quicker and I need that right now due to healing shoulder and a strained back muscle.

Both are beautiful; one day when I get a chance, I'd like to take an Alfermann for a spin..if I see one I can try at a major shoot. Trigger? Oh, I shoot a release, and asked Bill Cole to set mine up with a "slow" release that makes it easy to control. I do note that the Cole trigger's hammer does move a pretty big distance compared to some other guns. Whether this is of any consequence, I doubt it if it is consistent. I shoot a release and asked Bill Cole to set it up to be "slow" so it would not be overly sensitive. He did.

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

Chango2 If you make it to Virginia you are more than welcome to take my Alfermann for a spin. I shoot a release also but have the parts and 2 hex wrenches to set it up as a pull either.

--- Chip King ---

18. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Mac, in answer to your question, since Jimmy is at the Spring Grand. Yes he still Shoots in Billings, Great Falls, Anaconda and will be in Helena this year to shoot the Montana State Shoot in July and will undoubtably go to Anaconda after to shoot the Western Zone.

Rick in MT

19. OLD ONE EYE

Mac I shoot in MT in the summer shot the state shoot once and the western zone this year, I have a place in Driggs ID and shoot ID Utah and MT and WY if there is a place close to me hope to meet up one day. Buddy

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, so nice to hear opinions from at least five people whom I've heard from before...and thanks Chip King re. that kind offer to test drive your Alfermann. Haven't been in Virginia since '82 when I was visiting relatives who then lived in D.C.

Curious: How does one open and close the Alfermann? Is it tiring or different like a Ljutic can be if things are a bit balky?

Darn, I shouldn't ask too much about the Alfermann, then I'll look around for stuff to trade off to get one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alfermann parts

alfermann shotgun

alfermann shotguns

alfermann silver dollar
alfermann silver dollar trap gun
silver dollar spicial alfermann
silver seitz hat