1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ALFERMAN Owners ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I bought #44 from this site about three months ago. It has beautiful wood, and has been much admired at my club. It is a fixed full and absolutely grinds up the targets when I am on them, even from the fence. I've developed a "dive into the gun" flinch that costs me maybe two or three birds per hundred, especially in handicap, so decided to try a release. I sent the gun back to Gary Alfermann for conversion, and he also updated to the new type trigger. I've only tried it on snapcaps so far (I just got it back midweek), and my impression is that the new trigger is very fast. I'll try it out at the club later this afternoon.

I like the balance, and have not shot it enough to comment on the reliability, although the mechanism seems very simple and robust. On the All-American issue, I think I remember reading that Frank Hoppe shoots one, but my memory is notoriously faulty.

2. old tex

old tex TS Member

Top quality, with excellent release trigger.
    Best imaginable customer service.
    Hoppe shoots one.
    Merlyn is their "agent" and he is the best guy to deal with in the business IMO.
    unc

3. jrb

jrb Member

Don't forget about Karrol Hillebrand. Also a respective list of Alfermann shooters on the Missouri All State team! Plus quite a few great shooters in Missouri who do not shoot enough targets to qualify but are very tough to beat!

J. R. Brock

4. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

For my information, what is the "new trigger" and how do you tell if the gun has the new version? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

5. tcr1146

Evidently, no one knows!? Tom Rhoads

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Tom, call Gary Alfermann for an explanation, (636) 239-6978. When I first called him he told me they had changed the trigger somewhere around my serial number, and that the new one was faster.

Anyway, I was a little anxious about how things would work out, having never shot a release before today except for one round with a borrowed gun years ago. My first round today was from the 27, with the skies gray and spitting snow. I hit 22 hard, and the three I missed were straightaways that I quick-released on. The next round from 27 was a 21. I then did two from 16 with a 23 (again two straightaways, quick release) and a 25. Later rounds included a 24 from 24 and 23 from 25. If I didn't move before I saw the bird I was usually on them, and when I was on them the targets were crushed. I think I'll be happy with the gun and the release. I'll certainly give it a fair test at the SW grand in a little over a week.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides All Americans Hoppe and Hillebrand (2008 Spring Grand Singles Champ) shooting them, Overstreet and Buxman do.

8. tcr1146

Thanks Pocatello! Tom Rhoads

9. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Tom, the differences are a little hard to describe. Pictures would show you much better, but take the trigger group out and on a release...if you see a long release hook, it's the old style. If it's the new one the hammer only cocks 15 deg., the hammer spring is between the top of the hammer and the vertical portion at the back of the trigger housing. These are just some points to identify which one you're looking at. I think most of the old style triggers have been converted. I have owned/shot Spears, Bowen, Allem, Timney, Seitz, and several others. IMHO the Alfermann trigger is superior. I've shot mine for nine years (over 100k rds.) and the trigger hasn't changed one iota, no tune-ups...just bang, bang, bang. Being fair, I had two minor problems that the Alfermanns dealt with promptly and to my total satisfaction.

Buz

10. alf174

alf174 Member

The last SBT I'll ever buy and it paid for itself in '04.

11. Kent

Kent TS Member

Number179 here. It has not made me an All American, (nothing will) but since May of 2002 it has kept me from trading guns off four or five times each season.

After over 50,000 registered targets it has been flawless. I have missed a few but it wasn’t the guns fault.

It did get me 2/3 rds of my AA27 AA pin and hope to get my Grand Slam pin with it someday.

It will out last me on the trap line I am sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.