1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

alferman guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ron y, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron y

ron y TS Member

QUESTION,,,wHAT ARE THE HIGH POINTS AND BAD OF AN ALFERMAN GUN,,AND WHO SELLS THEM? THANKS RON

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I can,t disagree with anything Big Papa said but there is more . The ALfermann guns are built very well . The wood is better then most high end guns at a lower cost and the cost of a new ALfermann is less then any gun in it,s class . The only down side for me is the weight the gun is heavy . I can,t handle the weight most are 10 lb. or more . As for the trigger it,s very good and it,s fast . If you shoot a release your in luck A release trigger for the ALfermann does not cost an arm and a leg and is one of the best .

ALF

3. hilger

hilger TS Member

THE ALFERMAN gun is as GOOD as you can get! Larry and Gary are first-class gentelmen and were exceptionally helpful after the sale. And then, there is Merlin. He was very honest and a great guy to do business with. My experience with this company was very positive and professional.

Kenny Hilger

4. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Been shooting a Alfermann single since June of 2000. I agree with all the posters above. I like the weight of the gun. Seems just rite for me. Weight is a killer of recoil. I took the trip to Wenigs for stock fitting. A great experience. I also own the model twin. Wish I had more time to shoot and enjoy one of the finest guns made.

I would never think of sending my barrel to be tuned. These guns turn targets in side out the way they come.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Merlyn - good ole boy, honest and someone you can do bus with easily

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I've had mine for 9 years. The quality and service are unsurpassed. Most of the guns are on the heavy side...10+ lbs. The type and cut of the wood make considerable difference. Consider, however, recoil reduction devices are not needed so there's no added weight there. I shot for many years from middle yardage with some fine guns, Ljutic, Perazzi, but with the Alfermann I went to 27 yds. and it's the only gun I've ever broken perfect scores with.

Buz

7. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I bought #44 used early this year. When I say "used", it was essentially a new gun as far as I could tell. I had Ken Rucker put on a Bumpbuster, and shortly after I got it had Gary Alfermann convert the trigger to a release.

It's the first non mass market shotgun I've owned, and the third I've used extensively for trap. I started years ago with an 870 TB, and never progressed past the 22 with it. I switched to a 682 about eight years ago, and got as far back as the 24 with it, and also got much better at doubles. A year and a half ago I turned down a reduction to the 21, and then asked for an increase to the 25 so I could shoot with friends at the SW Grand. I did earn a half yard during the summer for a 96, but finished the year with an 87.7 average, pretty consistent with the two years before. Although my average this year is about the same, I am now on 27 yards shooting the Alfermann, and my average since getting there is over 90.

I'm not a huge fan of patterning and counting pellets. If the truth be known, every time I have looked at a 40-yard pattern I've wondered how we break any targets at all. However my impression from shooting targets is that for the most part I'm crushing a lot more targets than most people I shoot with, and I've had squadmates make remarks to that effect. When the gun is pointed correctly the target breaks hard; when it's not, I miss. There are very few chippy, chunky breaks from 27 yards. From 16 yards it's even more pronounced. For me the gun is smooth with very little recoil, the trigger is smooth and consistent, and the only maintenance issue was the stock bolt working loose once. The wood supplied is gorgeous, and the price I paid for the gun was very fair. I don't see myself switching. I only wish I could raise the money to buy the twin offered on another thread here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alferman trap guns

alfermann locking bolt