1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Alcan Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

How many shooters out there can remember reloading with these primers. I was pretty young at the time but reloaded them when I was a teenager. I never remember having a bad one, not once. How did they compare price wise with the rem's and Win's back then. Does anyone remember. Also how did you like them. Any special memories for any of you. Thanks for looking. Break-em all. Jeff
  2. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

Jeff: I just received 8 trays, 100 primers per tray, from a duck hunter who has given up reloading. I have loaded and shot about 100 of them. The covers say Alcan "Max-Fire" 220 primers, manufactured in the U.S.A. by Smith & Wesson - Fiocchi, Inc., Alton, Illinois 62002. Here is the sad part. The sales price listed on 5 of the trays is $.95 per 100, and $1.00 per 100 on the other 3 trays. Don't we wish we could get primers at that price today?
  3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Alcan Primers and some Card and Fiber wads bring back some memories. I still have a few boxes of each item stashed somewhere right next to some brand new Remington RXP Primed Hulls. I won't even disclose what's on the price tags I have on some powder, primers, and wads, not to mention old bags of shot. They were purchased sometime B.C. (Before Carter) :)
  4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

I loaded plenty back in the 60's!!
  6. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

I loved those old Max Fires. They used to come in a little tin and there were always over a hundred in there. We use to load just the primer in a casing and put a penny on the barrel and shoot it out of sight. Now that was a primer. Ahh the good old days with Win. Mark 5's and card and filler wads.
  7. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The local Coast To Coast hardware store had an Alcan Reloading Center. Everything you ever needed for reloading rifle, pistol and shotgun. I still have a few bags of Alcan Max-Flight wads. One size plastic wad and you could add the filler card to make anything from 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz . I can also remember waiting for the spring reloading sale at Gander Mountain in Wilmot Wisconsin. 3 bags of shot for $10.00
  8. dshot

dshot Member

Yes I do, and I loved the wads, they shot great, wished I could still get the wads.
  9. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

BT-99MAX: What reloading data are you using? I found 1k Alcans in my closet but was unsure of reloading data. Comparable to Fed 290A? Never forget settling a primer argument amongst reloaders with the 50cent piece atop the barrel, at night, under a street light---40 years ago!!!!
  10. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

Obiously thats FEDERAL 209A!!
  11. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

Larry: I used my regular load. l7.5 grains of American Select, Winchester WT-12 Wad in the old style one piece Winchester tapered hull and 1-1/8 ounces of 7-1/2 West Coast hard shot. I didn't have any loading data for the Alcan's and I couldn't tell any difference in recoil or speed when I shot them. Barry mentions above that Alcans are a hotter primer so as always, never take anyone's loading data unless you have published information.
  12. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

wow, things have some full circle,,,,people were even shooting fiocchi primers 40 yrs ago LOL
  13. Raymond D. Stromecki

Raymond D. Stromecki TS Member

Yes, I also loaded shells with the nitro card, the filler wads and the alcan primers. And I also "Remember Mom Ma" from the Maxwell commercial. Cray
  14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

I used Alcan primers till they were no more. I don't ever recall having a dud shell with those either! Hap
  15. pyrdek

pyrdek Active Member

Ah! Alcan 220 MaxFire, 31.0 Gr AL-7(Alcan powder), Win AA case, 1 1/4 Oz. #4 (Lead) shot, Flite-Max 4 wad = dead duck (IF I DID MY PART!). At least it worked well back in the days when you could use lead shot.

I still have about three or four bags of Flite-Max wads, E (no wads in the shot cup - good for 1 1/2 oz.) to Flite-Max 5 or maybe 6. These were the lighter loads. I also have some Alcan shells (empty), Quick-Serts (just a piece of plastic cut like a butterfly shape) shot used with fiber wads (some of you younger shooters can look in the history books to see what a fiber wad is but they were bio-degradeable long before somebody invented "ecology"), some PGS (Power Gas Seal over powder) wads. I think I cut my teeth on Alcan stuff. I think I even have four or five hundred of the Max-Fires left.

I still have some of the AL-7 powder. I finished up the last of my AL-5 a year or two ago loading for the .44 Mag.

As others pointed out, the Max-Fire was HOT, HOT, HOT!!! Even Federals did not match up.
  16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

We used the Win. primers and the alcan's with the same shot bar. Back then their was no powder bushings for the mec's. You set up and reloaded same components, but we did switch primers with the alcan's. I never loaded any Alcan's that came in a round tin. The one's we used to use came just like the Win. in a plastic box with 10 primers in a row with 10 rows. They might have been a little hotter than the Win. but I never noticed any differance at my age, I was just Happy to be Shooting at all.
    Yes It would be great if we could roll back the prices of components to the ones back then. Maybe I could get my Dad to buy all the components again. HA-HA-HA.
    Were the Alcan's a discount type of primer back then?? I don't know. It sounds as if they were much bigger in reloading than I ever knew. Jeff
  17. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

The alcans made a neat barrel flash at night and also out the breech in 1100s as I remember. It is my understanding that the company was started by Homer Clark Jr. , and Winchester did not take kindly to the upstart company providing components to reload their shells. Loved the max-flite wads.

Perhaps someone older than myself can expound on this.
    It was a long time ago, and both me and my model 12 were much younger.

ed.
  18. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Moderator Staff Member

When I was a kid I would load Alcan primers, Alcan fiber wads, Red dot powder into Winchester paper hulls with my Dad's old Mec 250. The Mec had a paper hull electric iron fastened to the side of it. It would take me half the night to load up 500 shells. Todd
  19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

Notice also that the Alcan primer is called the 220. It was a bit larger than the 209's. Once you used the Alcan 220 all the other smaller primers would be looser and would fall out of the older empties.

I don't know if this was a sales tool by the Clarks but it kept you buying the Alcans.
  20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

ALCAN 220 MAXFIRE, sure sounds bigger n more powerful than puny lil ol 209s huh Barry? I'm sure someone can measure the primer diameter against current 209s? I know I loaded a bunch of Alcan primers but I don't recall ever having a problem with switching hulls with a Winchester primers though. Hap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.