1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alcan Primers/ 220 Max-fire

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I was just given 299 of these primers, and was thinking about reloading them up. Would anyone on here like to buy them??? If not how can I reload them up. I am currently useing STS hull,or old style AA,AA primers,AA one oz. replacement wad. one oz of shot and 17 grs. of clay powder (1180 fps). Does anyone have a receipe for these primers with the components I now am useing. Would it be safe to just subsitute with these primers with current load only to adding to the fps with these hotter primers. I remember a few shooters on here wanting some of these primers awhile back, but not sure who whated them and if they are still interested. Thank You in advance for any help. Break-em all. Jeff

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

You can use the same data as the Federal 209.
    Don

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

They're a little hotter than the WW209. Rennerize is right, about like a Fed. 209. I'd back off to about 16-16.5 of clays. Use old hulls because they're over size and will stretch the primer pocket.

Buz

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If they are the older version of the 220's they will enlargen the primer hole on those hulls and then almost any 209 primer will be loose in those hulls.

Otherwise they are a good very hot primer.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are a hot primer and are indeed a bit oversized. I'd use Federal 209A data and stay away from anything much over 10K PSI. They remind me a lot of the newer RIO primers. Load them up in a flat of one-ways. I'd drop the powder charge in your load at least 1/2 grain OR MORE and run a few over a chronograph to see what you get. I'd feel better using them with a slower powder that develops a bit less pressure than Clays. International Clays or Green Dot might be a bit safer at that velocity.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Quack is right on the money. They are HOT!!! Maybe hotter than the current 209A.

7. Pull & Mark

Hogdon's site has my load with Fed's primer @ 16.5 gr's of clays for a ll80 fps load,with high but still OK chamber pressures. That's what I will use if no one wants to buy them for any reason. Thank You to all. Break-em all. Jeff

8. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Used them in the mid 70s'$30.00/5000. Whatever happened that they are not on the market? I believe around 1980 or so they disappeared. Mike

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Gentlemen, they are exactly the same as the F615, they were made for Alcan by Fiocche of Italy. They came in round aluminum cans at one time. I have loaded several thousand of them and still have about 1000. BEN

10. Pull & Mark

Ben, Maybe the one's you had in the round aluminum can were made by Fiocche, but the ones I have are made in the USA. They are in a cardboard cover sleeve with a plastic rack type tray holding the primers. On the back it says Made by S&W ammunition company, Member Smith and Wesson Sporting Goods Group. Alton, Ill. 62002. The cover also states that will fit Alcan,Western, Winchester, Federal, Red Head, American Eagle, Canadian Industries, J.C. Higgins, Revelation and any other Fired shot shells with a primer pocket of .240". Kind of a interesting plastic box with 10 rows one way and divided in two sides the other. The primers are hanging on their outer rims in groups of 5. All Good. Break-em all. Jeff

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Smith and Wesson bought out Alcan, then quit making shells, and importing powder Al-8, Al-7, and Al-5. I assure you the primers were manufactured by Fioochi of Italy. Ben

12. Pull & Mark

Ben, I remember loading with these primers when I was a teenager!! I reloaded all the shells for my father and myself. That was my job. His job was buying the rounds and components. The good old days. LOL LOL. Never even knew that Fioochi was around that long ago. Which is suprising because when I was 18 years old I knew everything. LOL LOL. Break-em all, this weekend. Jeff

13. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Made by S&W ammunition company, Member Smith and Wesson Sporting Goods Group. Alton, Ill. 62002."
    Those maybe the bad primers that S&W sold to the customer as Alcan, but they were actually the same primer that was used in there factory ammunition before buying out Alcan. I have a few left and they are not going to be reloade. I had flame coming our of the end of barrel and action when using a auto. I am not the only reloader that has had the same experience. The old Alcan were hot and the newer primers marketed under S&W were not, I even compared by firing both with just the primer down the barrels of SxS and there was a big difference in the flame that came through the end of the barrel. 10Tenner

14. Pull & Mark

10tenner, So are you tring to tell me then to load them just the same as the Win.AA's primers in my load as they are the same or close to. Even if they are the hotter one it would just boost the fps up from 1180 to about 1210 perhaps at the most. Chamber pressure would be about 11,000 with the hotter one which is high but still OK for just 299 loads. I'll use-em up in pratice I think. Break-em all. Jeff

15. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I stopped loading them do to there erratic nature, and having flames coming out of the chamber of my Superx2 and out the end of the barrel, and with some of sounding shells. There was a discussion a fews years back and I was not the only one that had this same problem with the S&W primers. I wished I had a photo of both primers and there was physical difference between the two. I had some old S&W hulls and deprimed one and they were exactly the same as the primers marketed by S&W as Alcan 209 primers. The old Alcan primers were good for magnum loads, my father killed allot of geese with the use of the Alcan primers, PGS powder seal, Alcan fiber wad, Quick sert shot protector 2.0 oz of 2's lead and 56 - 58 grs of H6 through his old SXS 10ga. 10tenner

16. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

my 1967 reloading manuel Xl and all my 220 primers and wad boxes have.

ALCAN Company, Inc.
    Seminary Road
    Alton, Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alcan 220 primers

alcan co alton il new name

alcan max fire small rifle primers