1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alcan AL8 11/4 loads?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 2shot, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2shot

2shot Member

Back in the late 50's and early 6o's I used al5 & al7 for hunting loads. Never any al8. A friend now have 2# of al8. He would like to load 11/4 for protection shoots.Are there any al8 shooters out there that has fond memerioes of the Alcan powders? Thanks for any help.Mike

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to load it but too many years gave passed, I have no notes or memory.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

AL8 was really slow burning. I'll dig for info on loads but we used it for 1 3/8 loads primarily in 12 ga. The loads are going to be somewhat guesstimates as the data is so old most of the components have changed that are available.

4. Joe P.

Joe P. TS Member

I went digging through some of the OLD reloading manuals I haven't looked at for years. I did find loading info for AL-8 anywhere from 10 to 28 Ga. but the info wouldn't help you unless you also have Alcan plastic cases, 220 Max-Fire primers, Air Wedge or PGS over powder wads (or even nitro card wads for some of the loads), felt wads and Quik-Serts. They were all for the heavy loads of shot. I haven't seen any of those things for probably 30 or more years. I think you are out of luck.

I recall my favorite lead duck load (that should tell you how long ago that was!) was 31.0 Gr of AL-7 in a 12 Ga. Win Compression formed case (The AA) using a Flite-Max 4 wad and 1 1/4 oz. of #4 and all started off by a 220 Max-Fire primer.. It was a killer.

I also found a FEW loads in the .44 Mag using the heavy bullets of the time (240 gr.) but nothing else in centerfire.

I think your AL-8 is probably heading toward the garden as fertilizer unless you really hit the jackpot in some real old time shooter cleaning out his 40 year or so old things from the garage.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

From the Lyman First edition Reloading manual:

Winchester C-f (AA) case, Alcan P.G.S., 3/8 Feltan-Bluestreak, 1 Alcan Kwik-sert. 34 grains of AL-8 behind 1 & 1/2 ox of shot.

This is some really slow burning stuff, and probably filthy without a heavy charge to burn it all.

The built up wad column is probably leaky, so using this data with a plastic wad may give you an unpleasant surprise.

For your 1 & 1/4 protection loads I advise 7625, Fed case, and Remmy SP12 Wad.

You can get it to 1400 or so.

Use the AL-8 for fertilizer as previously stated.

HM

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used to use it in my 2 1/4 ounce 10 guage loads. Kicked the crap out of me but it sure took those high flying snow geese out of the sky.

7. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I use Alcan 8 for 28 gague loads. I have some new ! lb. cans and a 5 lb. keg.Alcan 220 max fires are now Fiochi primers. Fowl Frank

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

If you use it for protection shoots with ONLY 1 1/4 OZ it will almost blind your partner with a brown haze of smoke. It is much better to load it with 1 1/2oz with up to 35 grains in a straight wall case such as a federal top gun.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alcan al8

alcan kwik-sert

alcon al8
reloading recipes for alcan flitemax wads