1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alcan AL-5

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by STARSKY, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARSKY

STARSKY TS Member

Looking for updated loading data on Alcan AL-5. I bought two 3lb unopend tins at an auction, and I hate to not use the powder. Starsky

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have no idea what to load now but I did use a ton of this about 30 years ago for crows and long range shooting and be assured it will turn your head around in a 12ga with 1 3/8oz shot in a mod 12!
    Sorry I could not help!
    Jim

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

There are some loads in the Lyman shot shell Manual, 2nd edition. They are mostly 1-1/4 and 1-1/8 loads. This powder goes back to the days of the Air-wedge over powder wad, and felt filler wads with maybe an Alcan quick-sert or the unisleeve, which was the forerunner to the one piece wads used today. The Lyman shotshell handbook, 1st edition seems to have more loads using this powder.

I think it is unlikely you will find any present day data for the Al-5.

4. pfofml

pfofml Member

Starsky,
    I used to load AL5 for 1.25 oz hunting loads. I cannot recall the amount of powder used. I used Al 120 for trap loads. I may have some old sheels around loaded with AL5. What does AL 5 look like?
    Peter

5. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Jim, if you used AL5 with 1 3/8 oz loads, I can understand why it turned your head around :)

Starsky, not sure where your located but if you decide to sell the powder and we can hook up sometime, I would be a buyer. This is provided they are unopened containers.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

38 Special 110 gr. HP.. worked REAL well with AL-5

7. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Didn't AL-5 & AL-7 have some corrosive properties to them? My grandad bought Winchester Xpert primed paper hulls, 100 to a box, and we loaded them with a 600 jr. I was just a kid, but I remember they were "hot" and the barrels were a pain in the a$$ to clean. I would keep them as collectors' items if it were me.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Starsky, here is what I got for Alcan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Starsky you have a PM.

10. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Hey Starsky, I have a bag of I would say 200 Alcan Flite-Max No.5 12 gauge wads you can have if have a need for them. Send me a mailing address and I will get them out to you. Thanks,Tim

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Without all the components and shell hulls of yore, don't you think you would be guessing at pressures? It has around the same burn rate as Hero and was basically used in heavy hunting loads. I still have about a pound of it left, I should load up my wife's flower bed with it this spring.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you load handguns.. its still useful..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.