1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alcan 220 Max-Fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oldstuff, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldstuff

oldstuff Member

I have some Alcan 220 Max-Fire Primers (enough to make me want to know). They measure out the .240 same a a Che3ddite. Says on the back of the package made to reload in Winchesters. The question---I'm laoding 17.2 gr. of Red Dot, the 1 oz. Down Range wad, 1 oz shot. Can I use these primers in place of a Winchester or Cheddite??

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was told yesterday on a thread i created that they are a HOT primer so do not use it on a maxed out load. Thats all i can help i'm afraid. I too have some but i'm just gonna use mine as display.---Matt

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Read the thread Matt started.

The short version: No. Th2 Alcan 220 does not substitute for ANY primer.

It is hotter than a Fed209A or a CCI-Manglum.

Old Lyman's ... 1 and maybe 2 have some limited data.

Bob

4. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Check your PM.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have a friend that took the remainder of my old Alcan 220 primers to use in his muzzle loader. Tells me it's the best ignition primer he can find. I never considered them as too hot but then I never loaded anything but mild trap & skeet loads. I wish I could find some of the old reloading books I had..but then we only had a couple of powders and felt wads & nitro cards. Took forever to load shells.

Big Jack

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I dont know if this is what your looking for but its a load chart someone posted over at Gunboards. Looks like they are hunting loads using AL-5 Powder.
    AL-5 must have been a slow powder, as much as their using.

Wayne

Alcan AL-5 2 ¾", 1 ¼-oz. 12-gauge loads with "Flite-Max" and "Unisleeve" Wads and 220 Max-Fire primer except in those Remington cases requiring the Remington size primer. (From Speer Number 8)

Plastic Alcan and Federal (paper base wad) - 29.0 to 30.0 grs. - Flite-Max #5
    Plastic Alcan and Federal (paper base wad) - 31.0 - Unisleeve B

Plastic Federal (plastic base wad) - 28.5 - 29.5 - Flite-Max #4

Remington Express and Shur-Shot - 29.0 - Unisleeve A or Flite-Max #3

Remington Target - 27.0 - Flite-Max #2

Remington All-American - 26.5 - Flite-Max #2

Remington All-American - 27.5 - Unisleeve A

Win-West. Poly Formed - 31.0 - Flite-Max #1

Win-West. Poly Formed - 32.0 - Unisleeve A

Win-West. AA and Super-X Super Speed Plastic* - 28.0 - Flite-Max #4

Win-West. AA and Super-X Super Speed Plastic* - 28.0 - Unisleeve B

Alcan papers

[​IMG]

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

fine powders will get into the primer itself- the flash hole doesnt have a cover on it

the reccomendation used to be no fine primers

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I load just about the same 1oz load and I've found any primer works well This is a very low pressure load ,with a lot of room for variables! I dont think there is anything you could do to make it dangerous.Mike Moloney

9. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Contact Alliant. You will get an answer in a day or two. Some of the replys being posted here are quite different that what I was told by Alliant. Better you get your information straight from Alliant, by clicking on the website address above, than from me or others on this site. Just contact them by email at their website.

The ones I have were manufactured in the USA by Smith & Wesson - Fiocchi, Inc. designed for reloading Alcan, Western, Winchester, Federal, Red Head, American Eagle, Canadian Industries, J. C. Higgins, Revelation and any other fired shot shells with a primer pocket of .240.

All of the Alcan 220 maxfire primers I have ever looked at, and that is several thousand, do have a red flash hole cover.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

oldstuff, I have about 300 of these exact type of primers and I was going to use them in the same basic load you have. STS hull, Win. primer, 17 grains clays, CB ll00 wad, and one oz of shot. This load is about 8,200 LUP and ll80 fps. So this primer will speed it up some. I don't see how it could rise over 10,000, but check with alliant and make sure first. Break=em all. Jeff

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The red flash hole covers as seen on my Alcan Max-Fire 220 primers.---Matt

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
220 max fire shot primer

alcan 220 max fire primers

alcan 220 max-fire primers

alcan 220 maxfire primers

alcan max-fire large pistol primer 220