1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Albert Gets Paid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Who can blame Albert Pujols, his kids needed shoes and food. Right?? Honestly it's a great day for me. Now my Cubs don't have to worry about Albert. Boy did he screw you Cards fans though. :)

$254 Million over 10 years and a full no-trade clause.

To Quote SNL's Garret Morris:

"Baseball been berry, berry good to me"
    [​IMG]

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

3. John55

John55 Active Member

Goodbye and good luck. He'll never get the love from CA fans he had here in STL, but he can buy lots of new friends. Seriously, it's likely better for the Cards to have lost him and it's a better place for him for several reasons. I doubt he'll be able to perform on the field at his current pace for the next 10yrs and now he can transition into the DH role where he can last 10 years. STL will have lots of free cash to pursue other players that will likely have more impact on the team in coming years. It's a win for both sides, IMO. And Matt, they'll always be able to beat the Cubs regardless of who they put on the field,LOL!

4. grntitan

Alright now John. I guess i set myself up for that one...........LOL

I think the Cards are gonna have a tough next few years. Matheny in and Pujols out will have an affect on both the win column and fan attendance(my opinion). I give Matheny 2 years.

5. John55

John55 Active Member

I'll give you Cubs fans credit... being so dedicated to such a losing organization. I truly hope that someday they can make it just for all of you dedicated fans.
    I really doubt the loss of Albert will effect the team all that much, they have others who can step up and replace a good part of his offense. Matheny is another matter, time will tell but I have a feeling he will be a lot better than many are thinking right now. Fan attendance shouldn't be hurt, they are WORLD CHAMPIONS you know,LOL!

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that if anyone on this board had any skill that someone would pay $25 million a year for....each and every one of us would take the money in second.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking that none of us has a skill that's worth that....

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Matt:

Don't know if you remeber what Bruce Sutter did to the Cubs after declaring his alligance and loyalty in the early 80's. Rat bastard!

blade819

8. grntitan

Blade,

Yeah I do and it hurt too What was worse to me was the Cubs trading Lou Brock(and two scrubs) to the Cards for Ernie Broglio, Bobby Shantz and Doug Clemens.

Still ranks as one of if not the worst baseball trades ever.

9. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I usually don't give a rat's patoot about ANY sport other than H.S. and that has got to be a mess. I think the cards owners up-bid Albert and then "dumped" him in a state that is financially out of control. He "MAY" have 2 good years left, but I doubt it as cash has a way of f**king up the best. I feel that Albert has 2 chances of giving the owners their "moneys worth" -- slim and none....merlyn

10. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

I wish Albert the best. See ya later. I am surprised he left but understand completely why he did. The Cardinals will miss him, the fans will miss him, glad we wont play against him with any regualrity. Hopefully mangement will spend the money wisely for a couple of different players to add depth the the club.

11. John55

John55 Active Member

At first I was surprised but after some thought I came to the realization that I probably shouldn't have been. In the end it was all about the money. I always thought Pujols wanted to be the next Stan Musial, but that obviously wasn't reality. He didn't want to play his entire career in a city that ranks second to none in love of good baseball and knowing what that is. He didn't want to play for a team that ranks second in all time World Series appearances and wins. He isn't like Mark McGuire who took less just to play for the Cardinals. In the end it was all about the money and his ego, which he has more than his fair share of.

12. blade819

Matt:

Here's a BIG one. Remember what Greg Maddox did to the cubs? Talk about betryal! Dwight Howard with MY Magic will do the Shaq thing next year and leave the Magic for the Lakers. Man this is why I'm turned off with professional sports!
    blade819

13. grntitan

I think what shocked many Cards fans was the fact that Albert claimed it wasn't about the money. He even said after the dedication of the statue outside of Pujols-5 Restaurant that he wanted to remain a Cardinal(like what else is he gonna say at that dedication). In the end, nobody should be shocked. Pro players don't have that one team dedication anymore. Very very few players complete their careers with one team in any pro sport anymore. It's just the way it has become. After such cases as Blade named above, i have become numb to it. Heck i even expect it now.

14. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

No one to blame except Curt Flood, he started all this. I will bet my right foot that has only half feeling that it won't take the Cardinals 100 plus years to repeat.

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

As a Cardinal fan I'm disappointed. I would have liked to see him finished his career in STL, but you can't spend all your money on one player, it is still a team sport.

Incredible isn't it! A quarter of a BILLION dollars to play baseball for 10 years!! Makes me look pretty damn stupid. I played for free. Heck it is even worst than that, after I screwed up the shoulder and baseball had no need for me, I PAID to join a city league so I could play softball.

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Albert seemed to say the right thing but his actions always led everyone with any common sense to believe he was looking for the big payday and it did not matter where it was he would go there. Most believe he is older than 32 and most can look at his numbers from the last four years and see his production was dropping off. Being a Cardinals fan i am really relieved he moved on so they are not shackled by his contract for a decade. The Cardinals can now look to bolster the pitching staff and find a young everyday shortstop with many years left. It is really a bright day for the future of Cardinal baseball. I think many will look back in a couple years and say wow are we lucky we did not spend that much money on a fading star. He did very little to help them win the series this year. Good luck Albert but i am one fan glad you are moving on. Your best baseball years are in your rear view mirror.

17. blade819

Don't balme Curt Flood. Blame the shyster Agents. Half of these so called atheletes would look up if you told them the sky is falling. Throw in the owners to. They bitch about their collective bargaining agreement but yet these are the guys who give in to the spoiled atheltes who decide to break their contracts mid way thru to get better money and the owners give in.

blade819

18. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Albert Pujols is a fine and generous human being and does the right thing with his off time and his money. I truly believe he will use much of his new fortune to help with his charities.

19. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

NO SINGLE PERSON IS WORTH THAT KIND OF MONEY PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

Salaries in professional sports are so far out of line it makes me sick! I do not go to any games and barely watch them on TV. These so called professionals have a good year and want more money, no matter they signed a 3 yr contract for XX amount of dollars. If they dont get it, they hold out. The clubs should take THEM to court for breach of contract or be able to put them on a restricted list where they do not get paid or cannot sign with anyone else.

Oscar

20. blade819

Here's an added twist to it via ESPN this morning. They took the 22 million x 10 years offer that St. Louis offered to keep him and did a cost of living adjustment for Southern California. It equates to a salary of 35 million per year for 10 years. 10 million more than Albert got from the Angels. Hey Albert.... the sky is falling!

blade819

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.