1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaskan view of Palin?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kehrby, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I have read most of the postings on the Republican VP nominee but I don't know that I have seen any from the Alaskan contingency that we have here. Maybe I missed them but I would like to hear what they think of their Governor. Being from Indiana I think I have better insight on our useless Senator Bayh than most, who was supposedly on Obama's short list. Let's hear!

Steve

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Palin fever hits Alaska hometown of Wasilla

Sarah Palin's candidacy galvanizes the hamlet where she grew up, served as mayor and still lives.

By Marjorie Miller, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 31, 2008

WASILLA, ALASKA -- Much of Gov. Sarah Palin's hometown was in the grip of Palin fever on Saturday, a day after the former mayor was unveiled as John McCain's vice presidential pick.

Early-morning patrons of the Mocha Moose Cafe said they were pleasantly stunned by the choice of their former mayor. Before midday, the Radio 99.7 billboard whooped like a high school cheerleader: "Go Sarah. We Love You."

"We're very excited," said Karena Forster, who works at the drive-through Mocha Moose espresso stand, where Palin sometimes stops in for her morning skinny white mocha. "It's very neat to see one of our own rise up above."

Down the highway in the Frontier Mall, Patrick Carney Jr. said that when he heard the news on television a day before, "it knocked me flat." Carney comes from a large Democratic family, but he's wavering now.

Brother Mark Carney, who was in high school with Palin and works unloading freight, said Palin's addition to the ticket "changed my vote. I think it's good taking someone who's lived like a common person."

"She's highly principled. She may be from the other party, but she's very honest," said their father, Patrick Carney Sr., a former Democratic state legislator who's still voting the Democratic ticket.

Wasilla, about an hour north of Anchorage, is in the Mat-Su Valley, a place of sweeping lakes and rivers where clouds of mist lie low in the fields and snow-striped mountain peaks jut from the clouds. It is a town of fewer than 10,000 in the middle of a region that is home to nearly 80,000. Charmless strip malls with big-box stores line the main highway; lakefront homes open onto dramatic views.

Sarah and Todd Palin, who have five children, have a home on Lake Lucille, according to former neighbor Ray Pursche. When he moved to Wasilla in the early 1980s, he said, the town had one blinking traffic light and a few stores. That began to change while Palin was on the City Council, starting in 1992, particularly during her two terms as mayor.

"She's been very helpful, always bringing business into the city," Pursche said.

When Palin's mother, Sally Heath, answered her door Saturday, she apologized for not being able to chat. "I'm just trying to follow protocol," she said. "I guess life really has changed." She said family members were to meet with the campaign in Anchorage later in the day to confer on what they might and might not say.

Palin has been a favorite daughter in Wasilla since adolescence, when she led the high school girls basketball team to the state championship in 1982. She was, as the Anchorage Daily News put it, "practically canonized" for her athletic prowess.

But not everyone in town is a fan.

Irl Stambaugh was Wasilla's first police chief. When she was on the council, he said, they tussled over the issue of closing time for bars. He wanted to change closing time from 5 a.m to 2 a.m., but Palin thought that would infringe on business owners. When she became mayor, she fired him.

"I think it was a personality conflict," said Stambaugh.

Ed Kalnins, senior pastor of Palin's Pentecostal church, Assembly of God, described Palin as tenacious. "Once she understands a truth, she bites down on it and won't let go of the truth," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-palinside31-2008aug31,0,4903812.story

3. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

It's not all rosy:

http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/510080.html

Click on the link to see the comments at the end:

'Troopergate' inquiry hangs over campaign
    Inquiry: Ex-commissioner brings up undisclosed e-mails that he says mentioned trooper.

By LISA DEMER
    ldemer@adn.com

Published: August 30th, 2008 11:53 AM
    Last Modified: August 30th, 2008 05:51 AM

Alaska's former commissioner of public safety says Gov. Sarah Palin, John McCain's pick to be vice president, personally talked with him on two occasions about a state trooper who was locked in a bitter custody battle with the governor's sister.

In a phone conversation Friday night, Walt Monegan, who was Alaska's top cop until Palin fired him July 11, told the Daily News that the governor also had e-mailed him two or three times about her ex-brother-in-law, Trooper Mike Wooten, though the e-mails didn't mention Wooten by name.

Monegan claims his refusal to fire Wooten was a major reason that Palin dismissed him. Wooten had been suspended for five days previously, based largely on complaints that Palin's family had initiated before Palin was governor.

The events surrounding Monegan's dismissal currently are under investigation by the state's legislature. Palin has acknowledged that a member of her staff phoned a trooper lieutenant in an effort that could have been perceived as pressure to have Wooten dismissed and that her husband and other officials also had contacted Monegan about Wooten.

She has insisted, however, that she did not authorize the phone call and was not aware of it. She has said she doesn't believe any of the contacts amounted to pressuring Monegan. She suspended one of her aides after the recording of his discussions of Wooten with the trooper lieutenant became public.

“The Governor did nothing wrong and has nothing to hide," the McCain/Palin campaign said in a statement, blaming the issue on the campaign of the Democratic nominee, U.S. Sen. Barack Obama. "It’s outrageous that the Obama campaign is trying to attack her over a family issue. As a reformer and a leader on ethics reform, she has been happy to help out in the investigation of this matter, because she was never directly involved."

But the trooper controversy has been swirling around Palin for weeks, long before Palin was launched Friday into the bright lights of the national campaign.

Monegan, however, said that Palin raised the subject of Wooten with him herself on two occasions after becoming governor -- once on the phone soon after she took office and once in person not long after that.

Monegan also said that the governor's husband, Todd, talked to him several times about Wooten and that three top officials in her administration contacted him.

Monegan also disclosed for the first time that Palin sent him two or three e-mails that referenced her ex-brother-in-law and his status with troopers. Monegan declined to provide the e-mails because of the ongoing investigation.

Monegan said he believes his firing was directly related to the fact Wooten stayed on the job. "It was a significant factor if not the factor," Monegan said.

No one from the McCain campaign ever contacted him to vet Palin as a candidate, Monegan said.

Who did they contact? "We don't talk about the vetting process," said Maria Comella, Palin's vice president campaign press secretary.

What role Palin played in seeking her ex-brother-in-law's dismissal is the governor's first brush with scandal in a political career that has been premised on reforming Alaska's corruption plagued Republican party and raises questions not only about her willingness to use her office to further a personal goal but also about her administrative abilities.

Palin's replacement for Monegan, Chuck Kopp, was forced to resign just two weeks after he was appointed because of a sexual harassment complaint that had been filed against him when he was the chief of police in Kenai.

Palin, in a news conference announcing Kopp's resignation July 24, said she was unaware that the Kenai city council had reprimanded Kopp as a result of the complaint and would not discuss how her staff had vetted Kopp before naming him to replace Monegan three days after Monegan was fired.

Palin apologized for the chaos that the Monegan dismissal and the Kopp resignation had caused. "This has been a tumultuous week in the Department of Public Safety, and as your governor, I apologize," she said at the news conference.

Alaska's legislature is spending up to $100,000 "to investigate the circumstances and events surrounding the termination of former Public Safety Commissioner Monegan, and potential abuses of power and/or improper actions by members of the executive branch."

The investigation is supposed to wrap up by Oct. 31, just days before the Nov. 4 general election.

Palin will be deposed along with others in the governor's office and former administration officials, said state Sen. Hollis French, a Democrat and former state prosecutor from Anchorage who is serving as the project director for the investigation. The special counsel just this week was trying to arrange Palin's deposition, French said.

French said Palin's new role as vice-presidential candidate won't change the investigation.

"I think it raises the profile but it doesn't really change the mission or the work," the senator said.

Before she was governor, Palin pushed for a trooper investigation of Wooten over a number of matters, including using a Taser on his stepson, illegally shooting a moose, and accusations of driving drunk. At one point, Palin and her husband hired a private investigator.

Troopers did investigate, and Wooten was suspended for 10 days, later reduced to five. That took care of it, Monegan said. But the Palin administration and Todd Palin wouldn't let go, he said.

Palin initially said that, after she took office in December 2006, she broached the subject of Wooten with Monegan just once, when they discussed her security detail. She said that she told Monegan that Wooten "had threatened to kill my dad and bring me down." She said she thought that was the end of it.

Monegan said Palin called him on his cell phone one night in January 2007 about Wooten, but it wasn't related to her security detail. He said he had already met with Todd Palin about Wooten, whom he hadn't heard of before, and had looked into the family's complaints only to learn they already had been investigated. Palin seemed frustrated that nothing more could be done, he said.

"For the record, no one ever said fire Wooten. Not the governor. Not Todd. Not any of the other staff," Monegan said Friday from Portland. "What they said directly was more along the lines of 'This isn't a person that we would want to be representing our state troopers.' "

Palin again brought up Wooten in February 2007 as they were walking together to wish a state senator a happy birthday, Monegan said. He said he told Palin he had to keep her at arm's distance on the matter and she agreed.

A Palin political rival, Andrew Halcro, was the first to publicly mention the Wooten matter in connection with Monegan. He titled his blog post: "Why Walt Monegan got fired: Palin's abuse of power."

"This is a governor who really built her name by stepping on the back of sinners — Randy Ruedrich, Greg Renkes, Frank Murkowski," Halcro said in an interview Friday, referring to the Republican Party chairman, the former attorney general and the former governor. "And now her administration seems to be taking the same approach as the people that she criticized."

More of the story came out on July 17, when the Public Safety Employees Association, with Wooten’s permission, released the investigative file concerning the complaints brought against the trooper by the Palin family and others.

The personnel investigation began in April 2005, long before Palin became governor and months before her October 2005 announcement that she was running. The investigation into Wooten wrapped up in March 2006, before she was elected.

Troopers found four instances in which Wooten violated policy, broke the law, or both.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

The McC team had time to vet all these possible contingencies. I suspect they wouldn't have picked her, if they didn't already know the Trooper was going to look like a louse when washed off in the glare of the media.

5. Joe Potosky

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pak-rH0dCeA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pak-rH0dCeA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

COLDEST STATE..HOTTEST GOVERNOR!

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, I live in Anchorage...met Sarah about 6 years ago. I was fortunate enough to have lunch with her and a couple other local pols because of a job I had then.

My impression back then?? Smart lady. focused. And she is decidedly middle class - or was, anyway. She gets it - she's made her mortgage payments just like the rest of us.

And Alaska's been trying to build a $26 billion gas line for about 8 years now. In her few short months in office...she's gotten the damn thing farther than the lifelong senator / govenor republican (Frank Murkowski) did and farther than the lifelong politician democrat Tony Knowles did. I'm not saying what she's doing to get it going is good or bad...just that she finally has it moving along, and that's something.

She seems to get things done. There's a flap right now because she fired her director of public safety, who wouldn't fire a trooper. The trooper was divorcing her sister and made threats against her family. She asked the director to can the trooper. He said no. She told him she was no longer pleased to have him work for her.

Seems to me like its really no big deal.

I like her. McCain already had my vote....she's just a great addition to his ticket.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff P, firing the director for insubordination refusing to fire a trooper making family threats sounds like a job well done to me also. The trooper should have been arrested for making threats! This lady ain't politics as usual and the biggies don't like that. Tough I'd say! Hap

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

She is smart,hardnosed and not afraid of big business. I have to say it's the only candidate in my lifetime that I feel is in the trenches with the rest of us. She may not have the experience of other Washington politicians but she has common sense to help carry her through the tough decisions. And I don't think you would ever want to piss her off because then you would have to deal with the rest of us crazy Alaskans.

10. big D

big D TS Member

I agree 100% with Jim & Jeff! She is a great person, and she shoots sporting clays. Dave Inman

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

What has amazed me about the ongoing discourse concerning Governor Palin's fitness to be V.P. is that she is the one and only person on EITHER ticket who is not entrenched in that bloated cesspool on the Potomac already. So many Americans say they want to see some "new blood" up there, they want "Change"...someone who is NOT an "insider"...well folks...here's the only shot we're likely to get in our lifetime to send someone up who is not already a part of the problem.

12. Joe Potosky

Photo by ERIK HILL / Anchorage Daily News

Wasilla mayor Sarah Palin reloads while shooting at the fur & feather station that features ground-level and airborne targets at the 5th Annual Alaska Ladies Charity Classic sporting clays shoot Saturday June 3, 2000 at Grouse Ridge Shooting Grounds

13. snapshot

snapshot TS Member

They talk about her not being experienced for the job..... I hate the thought of having some experienced politician doing nothing, keeping things in the pot like all the "Experienced" ones have been doing for year after year in Washington! I hope McCain turns her loose, I think she is dynamic enough to bring about things she feels are good for the people! Go girl! We are for you in the Hills of Kentucky! Biff

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Troopers found four instances in which Wooten violated policy, broke the law, or both."

He was given a 10 day suspernsion, reduced to five by the scumbag that Palin fired?

They both should have been fired with the trooper being prosecuted.

15. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

If Wooten was breaking the law, Monegan should have fired him. If Monegan wasn't doing his job, he should be fired also. Seems pretty simple.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Da, what a crock.

For the first time in a long time a real human being like normal people shows up instead of the usual political hack just looking for pockets to pick and you throw stones.

Get back into the placenta jar.

HM

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Get back into the placenta jar.

ROFLMAO!!!

18. chessney

chessney TS Member

Wheres her ear plugs in that photo? That photo was a photo opp. It's a political photo setup..Ziggy

19. BMC

BMC Member

I just wish she was on the ticket as #1 and McCain as #2.

Devil, I agree that this is in many ways a vote against election. I'm doing just that. But Palin brings a whole lot of legitimacy to my decision now.

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

A bunch of you guys are always complaining about having to vote for professional politicians and someone comes along that has actually lived most of her life as a regular person and is not even a lawyer and you complain about her as well.

Perhaps either you can define the type of politician you want or maybe you should just run yourself. Or maybe it's just because you compare her life to your own life and realize how much more she has accomplished than you and it's very hard for you to accept your own deficiencies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.