1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska Vacation Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackbear-57, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackbear-57

blackbear-57 Member

Thinking about taking a 1 week vacation to Alaska Mid-July. Am planning to rent a car and see the sights, never been there before. Wondering about a good place to stay that would be a central location? Would fly into Anchorage. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Steve

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

1 week is NOT
    long enough

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Dgh is right if you can go for more than 1 week do it.Alaska is HUGE so its more of picking a certain area and wild life you want to see this time and go with that area.Have fun its a trip you will want to do again and again.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

DGH is right about the time. This is a huge state and the distances involved to get from point A to point B can be many hours. Anchorage is about as central as you can get. From there you can drive north 3.5 hours to Mckinley and south 3.5 hours to Homer. Just so you know our state shoot starts July 16th so bring your gun.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here's a link to our vacation last year. Actually, we go every year.

Fly into ANC and rent a car. Drive up to Wasilla, spend a few dyas there. Then drive drive down to Soldotna, spend a few days there.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/alaska_2007.htm

Here’s a quick recap of our Alaska Trip:

Day 1: Fished the Little Su River with Norm from Rainbow River Expeditions. Limited out on silver salmon. Stayed in Wasilla at the Kozey Cabins.

Day 2: Drove up to Willow. Flew to Lake Creek / Mc Dougall Lodge with Denali Flying Service. Fished Lake Creek with Mc Dougall Lodge. Caught 4 silver salmon. Drove up to Talketna for dinner. Stayed in Wasilla at the Kozey Cabins.

Day 3: Left Wasilla and drove down to Seward for dinner. Stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center / Portage Glacier & Whittier along the way. Stayed in Soldotna at the Spurrview House.

Day 4: Flew out to & fished at Big River Lake / Wolverine Creek with High Adventure Air. Limited out on silver salmon and saw lots of bears. Stayed in Soldotna at the Spurrview House. Had the best dinner of our trip at Spurrview House (king crab).

Day 5: Drove to Anchorage. Flew out to Mount Spurr / Triumvirate Glacier and Beluga Lake with Rusts Flying Service. Stayed in Anchorage.

Day 6: Flew home.

Day 7: Slept late, ate salmon for lunch & dinner :)

[​IMG]

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Greetings,

I stay in Wasilla (an hour north of Anchorage) at the Kozey Cabins. It's $800 a week for a cabin that has 3 queen beds.

I fish with Norm from Rainbow River Expeditions. $130 a day per person (1 guide, 4 people and a boat).

Rental cars are $350 - $450 a week on the Alaska Airlines website (reserve EARLY)

In Soldotna I stay at the Spurrview House (It's great) $175 -$250 a night.

I fly-out fish with High Adventure Air. $325 per person per day.

Alaska Airlines has a HUGE sale in October for the following year. Normally airfare is $750 round trip from Orange County to Anchorage. In October it will be $450. Plus you can get a "$50 Companion Ticket" just by getting an Alaska Airlines credit card.

It pays to buy your tickets early.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

P.S. there’s plenty of time to do other things if you don’t want to fish every day.

www.kozeycabins.com/ - Kozey Cabins

www.fishingalaskasalmon.com/ - Rainbow River Expeditions

www.alaskaair.com/ - Alaska Airlines

http://www.spurrviewhouse.com/ - Spurrview House

http://www.alaska.net/~haac/ - High Adventure Air

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

Come on up. You won't believe how beautiful it is up here. The other night I drove down from Fairbanks and at 2 am it was still light enough to see and by 4 am the sun was begining to rise. It's going to be a great shoot this year. We are expecting about 40 visitors for the lower 48. We are going to have food every night and one night free BEER. JeffP has a pile of trophies that wouldn't fit in a pickup truck if you tried.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Wouldn't fit in a pickup bed MY ASS...wouldn't fit in TWO pickups.

And I don't know where I'd put the Winchester SX-2, the Weatherby Vanguard .300WSM, the Springfield Armory 40 cal or the Browning Hi-Rib .410 pump we're giving away either....

9. flylta

flylta TS Member

Jeff and otnot

How do I talk my wife into moving? We're in Florida and she says she wants to move some place where she can learn to hate winter and love summer. My suggestion was Alaska would probably accomplish that, she said she's not that eager...

Still waiting to make my first trip.

Ron

10. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Went there last Sept and 10 days was not long enough. Among all the other things suggested to do here, go to Talkeetna. It is wonderful. While there, take a plane ride around Denali ( Mt. McKinley ) Take a good camera. The pic are something else. I flew K2 Aviation although there are a couple others.
    I am jealous.............have fun.
    Nubs Wagner.

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well Ron if I had my choice I would spend March through October here in Alaska. That way you would get a little winter and then leave at the end of fall. The rest of the time Florida would be a good start. LOL I'm in the tourist industry and we have several clients right now from Florida and even though it's in the 60's they are wearing heavy sweaters and very glad to be out of the heat of summer. You going to have to come up and see it for yourself. Here are couple of pictures of winter and then summer. Life is too short not to do what you want.

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=Eagles008.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=alaska.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Ron...

what do you do for a living? There's a ton of jobs up here in finance/accounting, engineering, project management.

I drug my wife up here 8 years ago. I was here in the early 90s, moved out, met her. Fate threw us curve, so we were footloose and I told her to pack up, we're moving to Anchorage. She'd never seen it. We flew up, spent 10 days looking for work, flew back south, loaded the car and drove back.

on the job hunting trip, she saw 4 moose here in town. that was enough for her. She loves it here.

13. blackbear-57

blackbear-57 Member

Thanks for all the information. I farm in Iowa so am trying to catch up with the field work after all the rain this spring. I found some decent air fares from Minneapolis to Anchorage in mid-July. We will decide soon if it will work. I have been putting this trip off for a long time. Thanks Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.