1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Bucket list is getting short.Next on list is a trip to Alaska.The wife and i are going to drive to the north west and then a ship to Alaska.both are in our late 70's so we will need some hand holding.what would be the best way to go.no hassle,no problems.thank you.

Tracy

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Tracy I have friends that have done that and loved the trip, it sounds like you will have a good time too, might as well as the saying goes, you never see a Brinks armored truck in a funeral procession, ya can't take it with you

Last night I was talking to my old neighbor kid that grew up on a farm real close to ours, we have stayed in touch all the years, he said he was going to buy a house boat on the Mississippi if we would go up and float down the river with them, my wife said hell yeah, so I guess that's the new item in out bucket list for next summer, should be a hoot

Gonna have to get a John boat to haul all the ice and beer though LOL

3. warren

warren Member

Three years ago Betty and I went to Alaska and spent a month up there. We got in the internet and rented an apartment in Wasilla flew up there and rented a car for a month and toured the state everwhere from Fairbanks to Valdez to Homer, using the Wasilla apartment as a base. Get ready for high prices for lodging and food, I can understand why because they only have six months to make their living. The Prince Willian Sound was in my opinion the most spectacular, we took a boat tour and those glaciers are amazing. Enjoy it's an amazing trip once in a lifetime.

warren

4. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Tracy - If you want to take a ship to Alaska from Washington, Alaska State Ferries runs a ship (I think out of Bellingham) which may or may not stop in Prince Rupert, B.C. Go to their website, but be prepared for some sticker shock. It definitely is NOT cheap! You could go as a foot passenger, or take your vehicle, which would be a good thing for touring the state. If you don't want to take the ship both ways, I can tell you that the Alaska Highway back down through B.C. is an incredibly beautiful drive, with great scenery, places like Liard Hot Springs, where you can stop and soak weary bones, and tons of wildlife. Depending on your schedule, you could do the ATA state shoot, or the PITA state shoot, as well. Food, fuel, and accomodation isn't cheap, as noted above, but the trip is worth the expense.

5. Kenny Helderlein

Kenny Helderlein Member

Hi,
    Also the train is a great way to get around. Most of Alaska closes in September so plan ahead.You have to go to Denali National Park and Mt McKinley.
    Have Fun.

6. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Holland America and Princess own Alaska tourism.

They own the bus lines, the rail cars, the gold dredges and many of the hotels.

We took a cruise from Vancouver to Skagway, took the White Pass Railway to the top then a coach from there to Whitehorse, then on to Dawson City. We boarded a high speed catamaran and sailed down the Yukon River to Eagle at 60 mph. Boarded a coach and took the Taylor highway to Tok, then into Denali via railway, then back to Anchorage via train abd then flew home.

Great trip. Don't miss the overland stuff. It's great.

7. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

You might want to get the book "Milepost" It's the thick paperback travel and driving guide to Alaska, ferries, routes, lodging, fishing, hunting regs, even gas stations, detailed maps,phone numbers,

You can get it at Amazon or bookstore.

Have a great trip,

8. arend003

arend003 Member

My wife and I have been there twice now and can't wait to go back. Our last time we flew into anchorage and rented a RV to tour the state. It was nice but we did rent a car in Fairbanks to head on to fish the Chena River. Also don't rule out the many B& B's up there . we stayed in several and they were all nice and in some cases cheaper then the motels.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AREND003, Did you make reservations at the B&B's or motels prior to the trip or did you find rooms were available as you needed them?

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The state run ferry is a wonderful way to get to AK. I went from Prince Rupert both times and then drove a rented vehicle home. The AK hwy has to be done at least once. I drove it when it was still all sand and gravel in the 70's. When a semi was coming I would pull over and stop. I'm sure I saved some headlights and winshields. Bill

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

If you come up in July make sure to make reservations ahead of time. Think about renting an RV,it's cheaper in the long run. June is less busy and generally better weather.

Jim

12. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

The wife and I just did a cruise this past May. Sailed out of Vancouver with stops in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway, ending up in Whittier. Walked around in Ketchican and checked out the totem pole museum. Was pretty cool. Went whale watching in Juneau and took a helicopter ride to a glacier and walked around on it in Skagway. Saw our first grizzly bear on that one. Spent one day (aboard ship) in Glacier Bay National park sight seeing and one day in college fjord sight seeing (also aboard ship) which is in Prince William Sound. The glaciers are absolutely amazing. The wildlife and marine life we saw was awesome. That was a once in a lifetime trip for us probably, although I would go again in a heartbeat if possible. If you go have some quality comfortable 8X binoculars with you. They were indespensible. We spent a couple days in Vancouver and a couple extra days in Anchorage also. Went four wheeling in the Mountains south of Anchorage. Could go on and on....was well worth the price tag. Did this thru Princess Cruises except for the 4 wheeler part. You can do all of the excursions we did with little exertion. They will pick you up, take you on the trip and then drop you off again. Princess seems to cater to the older crowd. No kids on board when we went. :)

David

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Take a curise it's a great way to go and they have all types of excursions that offer a wide variety of sight seeing and activities.

14. arend003

arend003 Member

two of the B&B's we had reservations one in Anchorage and the other on the Chena Hot springs road.. we did do a hit and miss on two but had no trouble.

15. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I lived in Alaska for two years it is a MUST see and if your a Fishermen well lets just say I live in Maine and nothing before or after even comes close ! Make sure you take in earthquake park and the other spots in this thread! And Driving the Alcan is a Trip in itself at any age Beauty beyond compare!Most of all enjoy your trip however you do it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.