1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Alaska state shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Where to fly in too? Best place to stay? Rent a car? Bill

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Where's the shoot at?

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hi Guys and Gals!
    The Alaska State shoot is held at Birchwood Trap and Skeet Club. You can stay in Anchorage which is 20 minutes from the club and more expensive or in Eagle River at Micro Tel which is only 5 minutes from the club. There is better food and entertainment in Anchorage but make sure you make your reservations early as this is the peak of the tourist season up here. If you need more information give me a call at 800-982-2377. I will be cooking an all you can eat salmon barbecue on Friday night(free) and there will be a $10 steak night on Saturday. Last year we sat around the campfire and (after shooting) and ate and drank free beer until the sun set at 11 p.m. LOL It's a great trip if you have the time to spend an extra week fishing since this is also the peak of all the salmon runs. A real great option is to rent a motorhome in Anchorage and stay at the club. The events will be shot over 8 fields with one practice trap. So far there is $5000 added money with more being pledged. Come on up and enjoy our Alaskan hospitality. Remember the sun won't set until 11 pm and will rise again at 4 am. Bill you and I will have to get together and have an Old SBT shoot of our own. LOL

Jim Trujillo

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

What are the dates for the shoot? My wife has been bugging me to go to Alaska again, but I hate shooting and fishing. KIDDING. We are putting a vacation schedule together and would be interested in shooting. Last time we were there was early March and it was colder than this California boy was used to.

MIke

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well the shoot date is 7-16 to 7-20. If I wanted to go fishing I would plan to come on down to the Kenai River after the shoot and catch 6 Sockeye salmon a day and then go to Homer or Ninilchik and catch a couple 100 lb. Halibut. There are also glacier and whale watching or salmon shark fishing tours out of Seward. Or you can head north from Birchwood and stay at Mt. Mckinley park. If you want to get up close and personal with Brown Bears then come down to the Peninsula and catch a charter flight across Cook Inlet and watch the bears catch salmon within a few feet of you. You can expect the temperatures to be in the high 60's on cloudy days and the high 70's on clear days. The range at Birchwood has one of the most beautiful back drops you have ever seen. In the back ground is Mt. McKinley and Mt. Foraker.

Jim

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

otnot, Thanks, I wil try to work it in. I like the slamon and halibut idea. Bears, no. Last time I was there the idiot who loved the bears just got eaten. I did love the halibut in the brew pub in Anchorage and the beer samplers.
    Hope to see you there.
    Mike

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I'll be there with two other shooters from Point Hope! You guys better look out!

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hipshot make sure you bring some muktuk as the girls on 4th avenue will love you forever.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

otnot....Will do! Bye the way, they still got that old tanker ship down there on ship creek what used to burn coal to generate electricity for Anchorage? Thems was the days!

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Click the above link for pictures from last year's Alaska trip. My wife and I go every year.

Here are my Alaska tips:

I stay in Wasilla (an hour north of Anchorage) at the Kozey Cabins. It's $800 a week for a cabin. It has 3 queen beds.

I fish with Norm from Rainbow River Expeditions. $130 a day per person (1 guide, 4 people and a boat).

Rental cars are $350 - $450 a week on the Alaska Airlines website (reserve EARLY)

In Soldotna I stay at the Spurrview House (It's great) $175 -$250 a night.

I fly-out fish with High Adventure Air. $325 per person per day.

Alaska Airlines has a HUGE sale in October for the following year. Normally airfare is $750 round trip from Orange County to Anchorage. In October it will be $450. Plus you can get a "$50 Companion Ticket" just by getting an Alaska Airlines credit card.

It pays to buy your tickets early.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

P.S. there’s plenty of time to do other things if you don’t want to fish every day.

www.kozeycabins.com/ - Kozey Cabins

www.fishingalaskasalmon.com/ - Rainbow River Expeditions

www.alaskaair.com/ - Alaska Airlines

http://www.spurrviewhouse.com/ - Spurrview House

http://www.alaska.net/~haac/ - High Adventure Air

11. otnot

otnot Active Member

Ysr Racer, nice pictures. When I was a kid in the 60's you could drive up to Portage glacier. I couldn't believe how far it has retreated. Of course I haven't visited it since then either. LOL

Sorry Hipshot that was before my time. Now they burn natural gas to generate electricity. Let's not make this too long as my seal oil lamp is burning low and I have to feed the dogs yet tonight.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'll just chime in with Otnot...we're gonna put on a HELL of a shoot.

New club managment - trap friendly.

Great alaska themed trophies - a good mix of open, in state and out of state.

Decent added money - $5,500 is the plan, more if we can swing it. We usually have less than 100 shooters total. So there's plenty for everyone.

Ribeye steaks Saturday night - all you can eat, or until we run out.

Ladies ring shoot on Saturday.

Fun shoots every night we can get people interested.

Good fishing, great scenery - on a clear day, Mt McKinley is the background.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

TrapperMike, Yea Humpies has great beer battered Halibut and the largest selection of beer on tap in Anchorage.

14. d endicott

d endicott Member

Is this a ATA or PITA shoot?

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

This is an ATA event. The state PITA is held in Fairbanks the last week of June I believe.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

ysr_racer: Nice pictures.

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have had a couple of calls about hotels but I think YSR-Racer found a pretty nice place to stay. Kozy Cabins sleeps 6.

Another place for $100/night: http://www.alaskarealtyonline.com/

And yet another: http://www.hillsidecabins.com/cabins.asp

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Can I bring my pet Walrus?

19. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hipshot, let me guess you were up here during the 40's in the military? You can bring your walrus only if she is cute. LOL

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

My only advice is BOOK EARLY!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.