1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AL391 Adjustable Comb Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pfitz, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfitz

Pfitz TS Member

I had an adjustable comb installed on my AL391 and the aluminum base came loose. Epoxy was used to bond the aluminum base to the stock. I am looking for suggestions on what to use to bond the aluminum base to the stock or if it appears that there is not enough wood from the pictures below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

2. high 2

high 2 Member

About the best thing to do is cut a grove all the way around the stock about half way up from the bottom. Then do the same with the hardware. Mix a batch of acra glass and fill both groves and press the hardware back into position and let it set for 24 hours. The epoxy will cure in the groves making it unlikely to come out again. Be sure and do this with the stock off of the gun taking care not to fill the buffer spring hole up in the stock. It`s best to use screws for the hardware, but in this case it looks like it was cut too deep. If there is enough wood on the sides you might be able to drill some holes at an outward angle to catch some wood. Hard to tell from the pics if that will work. Larry

3. Pfitz

Pfitz TS Member

Larry, thanks for the suggestions. Is there a preference for the Acraglas Gel or Regular Acraglas?

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would mill a groove around the outside of the hardware piece (you can do this with a dremel if you're careful) and I would fill the cavity of the stock where the exposed holes are that meet the hardware with modelers clay. I would then grind a bit of aluminum off of the bottom of the hardware where the stock washer is, to assure that it is not contacting the hardware at all. If that stock washer contacts the hardware, it will tap the hardware loose. The best epoxy to use in this case would probably be JB weld.

When the epoxy dries, remove the clay and file off any excess that may be interfering with the hardware of stock washer.

5. Pfitz

Pfitz TS Member

Tron, this makes sense to me. There are several JB Weld part numbers. Which do you recommend? Thanks for the information!

6. high 2

high 2 Member

Tron, I`ve never used JB Weld. Does it work better than acra glass for a case like this? When I first started doing adj combs years ago, I bought hardware from Graco I think, that had to epoxied in place. After a couple customers had this same problem, I started to make my own hardware and use screws to hold eveything in. It also makes it nice to be able to remove the hardware for refinishing. Larry

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, the original JB weld or Golf club epoxy works wonders in cases like this. I found that acra glass when used in thin applications (like where it's binding hardware to wood) tends to get brittle over time, unlike JB weld or golf club epoxy which always stays a little bit soft and has some give to it.

The big problem with Graco hardware in my opinion is that it has no channels for the glue to adhere to. It's perfectly smooth and that's just asking for trouble.

Here is an easy way to mill a groove onto the side of smooth hardware. Usually, I screw my hardware in place, but there are times when room just doesn't allow it. I have a dremel tool with a cut off disc that is bolted in place on the side of a work bench. The cut off disc is 1/8" from the top of the bench. I just run the hardware along the disc and have a perfect channel for the epoxy.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN0271.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jb

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Tron you are the Guy, Great fix.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Pfitz

Pfitz TS Member

This really get me headed in the correct direction. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the help.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable comb installation

diy installing adjustable comb