1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Al Timney Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dicksie, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Al Timney passed away today at 4:45 PM. We first knew him as a gunsmith at shoots we attended in California, Nevada, Arizona and Ohio; then we worked around him for years in the same machine shop. He was a good machinist and a true inventor and innovator. Almost everyone of his products were made with out blueprints all of the numbers were stored in his head.

Al will be remembered and missed by many.

Dicksie Spolar

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

that is sad news. al was always a big help to me. he would help the new gunsmiths with his many years of knowlege and experance. doug hubbart

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Sigh...

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Sad news.

5. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Very sad news, I had several of his triggers and he was a great guy.

Terry.

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I first met Al at the California State Shoot in 1973 as I wanted a better trigger for my 870. I bought another from him in 2000 and he was still going strong. Good man and service....I'd hate to guess as to how many shoots he attended over the years. Rest in peace.

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Bought many triggers and such from him over the years. Gruff and tough but was always interesting and honest, I liked him very much.
    Dick Ogle

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace Al.

Tom Strunk

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I had the privelge of visiting his home and garage while he was working on a 1100 Remington trigger for me. I walked into his garage [really squeezed in] and watched him work. How he found anything [parts. etc.] was beyond me... but he sure knew what he was doing! My condolences to the family. Fred.

10. Vickie

Vickie Member

So sorry to hear this. We will remember him sitting at the table in his booth at the Grand in Vandalia. He had a lot of great ideas in gun parts and repairs. Our condolences to his family. God Bless.

Tom and Vickie Larkin

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

This is confusing, because I have been in contact with Heather Green. Heather works for the folks who bought the Timney Trigger outfit several years ago.

Heather sent me the following email several months ago in which she states Alan passed away "a few years ago."

This is a copy of her email to me:

[​IMG]

Whiz White

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Allen Timeny was a genius when it came to guns. If no part was available, he would remake one for you, or design a better one.

He was active until a few monts ago, but old age and memory problems got the best of him. As I anderstand it, he was in a Rest Home until his passing yesterday.

We will all miss him!

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

He was a great old guy who was never too busy to answer the questions of a trap newbie trying to be competitive with his 870 TC trap...he will be missed terribly

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Al was a good friend. I have been to his house several times in Cerritos just to visit as well as many times at the Grand. He like to tell the stories about shooting with Roy Rogers. Al was quite a man!

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

My condolences to the family. Dave Bishop

16. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Back in the 50s there were 3 mobile vendors. Bob Allen, Bud DeCot and Al Timney. He was one of the original road warriors. Todd

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

whiz white:

I sort of thought as you also that he passed on a few years ago but im sure that the one that made the thread is correct since he is into the reloader buisness and a vendor im sure at the past grands in Ohio.

Maybe Al sold out and the new people lied about him passing on if so then I will nevever buy or recommend anyone to buy from them, Whiz if you find out anything post it on this thread if we should give buisness to Heather Green or not.

Ok I am getting an email ready to send to the new company that said he passed a few years ago.

If I get any replies then I will post it.

Foghorn220

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd be interested to know what's going on.

I did purchase a trigger from them in AZ about 2 months ago.

Whiz

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

First and most importantly. I am very sorry to hear about Mr. Timney and my condolences and prayers go out to his family. He will truly be a great loss to the shooting community! As far as "Timney" triggers, I saw an ad in the Sept. edition of "Shotgun Sports" by Merle Kemmerly that said they were making all of the Timney release triggers now?? The ad is on page16 if anybody wants to see it.

20. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Al was one of the great innovators in our sport. I bought several triggers from him without problem. I still carry a double release for my perazzi I had
    Al build 12 years ago. Never had a problem with it to this day. Sorry to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family. - Jim Elliott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
al timmney
al timney
alan timney triggers

allen timney gunsmith

timney triggers in cerritos