1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Al Thandiwe Safari Lodge/Trap Club, South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Too many pics to post here, so there's a link to my facebook page where the photos are posted.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.378843828862648.89732.100002111025944&type=1&l=d772564217

Al Thandiwe (pronounced tan-DEE-way) is located about 20 km east of Mokopane (pronounced mo-ko-PAH-nay), in Limpopo Province, in northern South Africa.

Here's their web site:

http://www.althandiwesafaris.com/

I shot ATA Trap, ATA Trap Doubles (got second place out of 5 entries), NSSA Skeet, and "Automatic Ball Trap" which is just a wobble trap machine set up to throw close to Olympic Trap speeds and angles. Its shot like Olympic, where you change posts after each shot.

Fun weekend.

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You sure got temporarily re-assigned to a cool place, how long are you going to be there?

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hard to say. The project I am on over here has an end date in about 2020, so I could stay quite a long time if I want to. And my wife loves it over here, and if mama is happy, everybody is happy.

Probably at least a couple more years.

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

tim99..........really enjoyed the pictures!!!!! WE forget how "BIG" this world is.................."run'em"

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, only 9000 miles from home.

Here's the GPS coordinates of the club if you want to find it on Google Maps

24°18'3.91"S, 29° 8'42.98"E

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Very nice, Beautiful club..

7. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Whats the cost of ammo etc over there Tim?
    Chris

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Chris,

Shooting is pretty expensive over here. When I get a "good deal" on ammo, which isn't often, a box of shells is about 60 Rand a box. At the current exchange rate of 8.5 Rand per US Dollar (which is the best it has been since I got here,) 60 Rand is about $7.00.

A round of trap is also about 60 Rand.

Usually ammo is more like 70 Rand a box.

Since I get paid in dollars, the exchange rate has a big effect on my cost of living over here.

The exchange rate has been as low as 6.5 Rand per dollar while I've been here, and that makes the cost of shooting even higher.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tim, interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing. How far away are you from this club?

10. The Stive

The Stive Member

Thanks for sharing the great pictures. John

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shot410ga

According to my gps, it was supposed to have taken about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. But Garmin doesn't account for crazy drivers, truck acidents, and toll booths with long lines.

Realistically, it takes about 3-1/2 hours.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tim, are you ever concerned about your safety?

13. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

timb99, did you have any kin folk out in Oklahoma? There was a gentleman that owned a machine shop industrial supply in my old home town with the same last name as yours.

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

15. revbook

revbook Member

Great posting! Doesn't appear as though they are set up for any type of handicap shooting. Best of luck.

Don in PA

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

shot410ga, like any big metropolitan area, there are places you just don't go. Our house has a lot more security features than a typical house in the USA, and we live in a gated community with 24 hour security guards. Generally speaking, its not as safe as being back home, but its not as bad as the media portrays it. But I won't be going anywhere near the miners stike areas right now, I'll tell you that! My wife volunteers in some pretty scary places like "settlements", and maybe its naive, but she says she never feels like she is in danger.

Hivolt, no, all my Bruggeman relatives come from northwest Iowa and southeast South Dakota. I grew up in Omaha.

Don in PA, yes, there are only a handful of clubs with handicap pads, and almost nobody but me shoots it at all.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I will tell you that the number one thing that makes me feel unsafe here is driving on the roads. The drivers here suck. And I have a little experience with bad driving. I lived 4 years in Thailand, and they have some pretty bad drivers there.

South Africans are the most impatient, offensive drivers I've ever experienced.

I've been involved in 2 accidents while I've been here.

That's my biggest safety concern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

al thandiwe safari lodge rates

how to say trap house in africa