1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AK-47 info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ouch, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouch

ouch Member

I shot an AK last week at my club. It got me interested in puchasing one. Any good advice? Thanks,Richard

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Buy a good one, NOT a Century Arms. MAKE SURE YOU GET CHROMED BORE/CHAMBER.

Tapco mags work flawlessly, may need fitting, are worth the hassle.

Get plenty of mags while they are relatively cheap.

Couple of cases of ammo for stash, some for play. Spend extra coin and get non-corrosive. Not all parts of the gun are chromed or stainless.

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have one that I'm thinging of selling if you decide to buy one. Mike....

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I had a Arsenal SLR-107. Made in Bulgaria. Black synthetic furniture. They made those with the AK74 flash hinder, which looked better than the standard look of the AK-47 barrel. The fit and finish was excellent. At the time I bought it new (2008), it cost me around $800 and some change.

5. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

If you are thinking about buying one, lay down and take a nap until the thought goes away. AKs will go bang, but the very best AK will be out shot by the worst AR you can find.

Just my opinion, plus ARs have an almost unlimited amount of add on options. My Rock River AR shoots 1/2 MOU all day long.

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

most ak sks peeps shoot wereWOLF ammo,and that stuff isnt good for accuracy.
    22 calibers are inherently accurate ,more so than 30 cal.
    if you wont reload 7.62x39 ,you wont realize the potential accuracy of it and you wont reload it cause wolf is so cheap blasting ammo.
    that said ,a milled reciever ak/or vepr will be the most accurate of the whole.

7. Brandon401401

Brandon401401 TS Member

This question is plain and simple GO BUY ONE! You won't regret it.
    A couple things you need to look for are
    - Make sure front sight and gas tube are straight not canted.
    - Magazine seats smoothly without excessive wobble. A little is ok
    - Bolt cycles smoothly
    - Trigger pull / reset smooth. The Tapco triggers are awesome.
    - look at Rivets make sure they are not over/under pressed.
    - make sure it has a bayonet lug never know when the zombies are coming lol
    If you have the cash for a higher end AK thats great however don't hesitate to get a WASR 10/63.
    Check out this video -http://youtu.be/aSuAPjw2Jgw

Brandon

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

AK's are designed and manufactured for uneducated peasant grunts. Do you fit the bill or maybe you just want to hunt Zombie's?

9. oz

oz Active Member

if you want info go to ar15.com they have AK sections

10. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Fun guns and relatively cheap to shoot, but prices on the guns themselves have gone insane.

While they will never be match guns, I had one that would put holes in tea cup sized groups at 100 yards until you got bored with it. It was literally 300% more accurate than my Mini-14.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I agree, fun gun, they run and good mags are rugged and cheap. They are accurate enough for what they were designed for.

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Maybe Tron will chime in about the time we shot my AK at trap targets....

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    re: AK inaccuracy....

Well, in many cases they are better than a Ruger Mini-Blaster. but I was still not satisfied with the 7.62xx39, and have better guns anyway.

Having said that, I still have an old Norinco 84S pre-ban AK in .223. It is surprisingly accurate for an AK. Probably because of both the cartridge and the smaller hole in the barrel, effectively giving a thicker barrel and more stiffness.

I just realized I have not shot it since the mid-1990s. Will have to take it out to the ranch and run a mag through it.

14. MR870

MR870 Member

Check out Classic Arms of Indian Trail NC.Been dealing with them for 20 plus years and they don't sell junk.

15. uplate

uplate TS Member

Buy one. The Chinese Poly Tech are good. Probably pretty pricey by now. I've
    had a few different ones. Still have a few. Inaccurate? 3 1/2" groups at 100yds
    from benchrest using Norinco non corrosive ball. Not bad considering what
    they are. Don't waste money on corrosive ammo. An AK doesn't need a bunch of
    add-ons. Buy good quality steel mags.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Romanian WASR-10. They were $380 4 years ago, now more like $600 (wonder why?) . Not the greatest, but you'll likely be unable to wear it out. Only one you can find with any regularity these days that's halfway "affordable". Good luck.

Bob Falfa

17. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I bought a WASR that I was able to hand pick...no canted sights, etc. I paid $229 for it. I sold it a few months ago with a few mags for $875. Stupidity knows no bounds.

I only wish my crystal ball worked as well in business and investments.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I remember when you could buy an SKS for $69. Not that long ago. I see them going for about $300.

19. ouch

ouch Member

Thank you for the replys. I have a Mini-14, SR-556 Ruger and an SKS. The Ak was just fun. I attended a gun show this past weekend and seen dealers selling from $575.00 ( the Century Couch advised against) and up. Private sellers walking with theirs from $450.00 and up.

One dealer told me the price will drop when we win the election, So I'm going to wait.

? Is 7.62 X 39 better or worse than 5.45 X 39 ? I noticed about $40.00 per thousand difference in ammo cost. Thanks,Richard

20. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Avoid the Century guns like the plague, they are very hit or miss quality wise, you may get a reasonably good one or you may get a complete dog. The Romanian WASR 10 is a good value but they are rather crudely made and not especially accurate even for an AK. The cream of the crop is the Arsenal SGL series which are made on Izhmash Russian military "milspec" receivers with American compliance parts. You'll pay more for an Arsenal but trust me it's worth it if you want the best there is in an AK. The 5.45x39 is the Russian version of our 5.56/.223 round (though somewhat less potent), they are generally more accurate than the 7.62x39 AK's and the ammo is both plentiful and cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.