1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Airman's letter to obama's national security

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by porky, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porky

porky TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    CINDY WILLIAMS was appointed by obama as an Assistant Director for NATIONAL SECURITY in the Congressional Budget Office.....

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Times about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America ..

Ms. Cindy William wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year citing that she stated a 13% wage increase was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117..80 before taxes per month. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,49040 after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington , D.C. Area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three yearsˆ™ experience in my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum............. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces.

Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN ; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."

As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone. Obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.

Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your open piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL , I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment right and every other right you cherish...On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms... Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve? What do you think someone should be paid to defend your life, and the life of your family?

A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC
  2. cementman

cementman Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Milford, Michigan
    As much as I respect those who are serving in our Armed Forces, I think the salary quoted by the above airman is a bit distorted. Click on the following googled excerpt from the Air Force Times and it shows a salary in excess of $43,000.00 for an A1C with two years of service, the minimum years to acquire an E3 rank.

Again I respect each and everyone one of our solders wearing the uniform, just want the facts be correct.
  3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    In the Cabana
    Cementman, those figures include BAQ and separate rats, the base pay will be much less
  4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Sep 29, 2008
    This story has been spread around the internet since 2009....some factchecking reveals Cindy Williams never served under Obama. The link to the original article is above, from 2000. So I guess Obama was really the president during the Clinton presidency LMAO

On another note, this airman is smoking something if he thinks the current force posture of the US military can be sustainable by paying military personnel comparable wages to the private sector, particularly in a high cost of living area like Washington DC. He is stationed in Utah. A lot of military personnel don't understand this, especially the younger enlisted personnel. Too immature. Gee, let's pay infantryman a comparable salary to private sector employees of Blackwater/Xe/whatever their name is now. Or let's pay military pilots a competitive salary to those in the airline industry. *rolls eyes*

The skills he "learned" in the Air Force was free of charge, courtesy of the U.S. government so he needs to take his whining somewhere else. Try getting the same skill set on your own, as Joe Blow civilian, and you would be spending thousands and thousands of dollars on education, certification, and periodic re-training with their own money. Plus he has a security clearance, free of charge from the US government, which gets updated every 5 years. A private contractor foots the bill to get a clearance(and the periodic updates) for one if its employees and contractors would rather hire someone with an active clearance than someone without. So he has a competitive edge when he decides to pack it in and go civilian and be a network technician with a defense contractor. A lot of these enlisted personnel don't put things into perspective.

Been there, done that, if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would had not signed up for infantry but would had signed up for a technical MOS. I could have done one enlistment, got out, and quickly get into a high paying job without paying for the education this airman got for free. I don't think this airman appreciates the free education and security clearance he has received.
  5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Any time you compare active duty enlisted pay to civilian pay you have to use what DOD refers to as Realized Military Compensation. Not sure if they are still sending out regualar statements as they did when I was in but what it shows is "total" compensation.

Base Pay

Separate rations - tax free

Military housing allowance - tax free - even if you live on base and don't see this figure in your pay - your quarters, your billet or your 3 bdr house on base is a value added to your income - you'd be paying it as a civilian.

Your retirement pay (mine was 2.5% per year) is something that costs you nothing, no contribution on your part at all. Find a civilian or gov't job where you get 50% retirement after 20 years and you don't have to pay into it at all.

Medical,dental and life insurance are at no cost but have value as well and cover your eligible dependents.

Realized military compensation is what you'd have to earn as a civilian to pay for the level of benefits you receive as an active duty service member. I never believed it until I got out after 23 years and went to work in the private sector.
  6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Blackshear, Georgia
    Cementman, I don't know where that chart came from but it is so wrong it's ridiculis. Do a little research. Less than two grand a month is correct and I suppose you would go to Iraq or afghan for $24,000.00 a year? I know people, civilians that is, that are there and make anywhere from 95 to 180 grand a year but the first 15 grand is taxable. Duh. Jackie B.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.