1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Airline Approved Two-gun case suggestions...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

I need to get an airline approved case for my son who will be traveling quite a bit to shoots. With all the additional luggage charges the airlines have now I'd like to get a double gun case that can hold two O/U guns plus chokes, accessories, etc. rather than carry two guns.

I was looking at a Starlight Case and I'm wondering if anyone had any experience them or any other suggestions would be appreciated. I think a composite is better than aluminum, but open to suggestions.

Thanks, SW
  2. jbshep

jbshep TS Member

I've been very happy with the aluminum cases sold by Cabelas, the ones with the angled corners .
    Check the weight though, many airlines now have more severe weight restrictions. Brad
  3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

5. boomer

boomer Active Member

Definitely Pelican!
  6. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

+1 for the cabellas 'bullet proof' two gun case. Easily carried my 34" bt-99 and the 32" xt. Highly recommend.
  7. bhunt

bhunt TS Member

Tuffpak
  8. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Americase is about the worst

It will be about totally destroyed- maybe on the first trip- corners- latches protrude

The only reason it is heavy is becaue it has that thick OSB inside the walls of the case- oriented strand board might be heavy but really is the cheapest component to add to the case without a lot of puncture resistance

Will your gun make it in an americase? probably

I would use one of the poly type cases mentioned above, without the protruding latches.

Regards from Iowa

Gene
  9. minnship8

minnship8 Member

I've heard way too many horror stories about Americases being destroyed by airlines. Their sides get punctured when handlers throw the corner of another suitcase on top of them. I have a Nasco that is really sturdy, however I don't believe they are made anymore. I have a number of pelican cases that I traveled with that housed cameras, and TV equipment and they are indestructible. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for a gun.

Regards,

Chip Porter
  10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

I've got a 30" XS and a high-ribbed 32" XT to carry.

A lot of them I look at are only like 13" tall inside, that does not seem to be deep enough for the two barrels and receivers??

Model number suggestions if you have one you know will fit two breakdown O/U's.

I would prefer something +/- 40" long, not 54" long if possible.

Thanks, SW
  11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Rhino.... Are great but getting Joe to build you one is another matter. I have a combo case and a two gun. They are nearly indestructible

T
  12. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

I needed a solid airline approved case which didn't incur overweight or oversize charges from my airline. Weight no more than 50# and less than 62 linear inches (length+width+height). I ended up with a Storm Hardigg (merged with Pelican) model #IM3100 case. It has 6 latches vs the Pelican with 4 latches. I was able to cut the foam to accommodate both my SBT and my doubles gun and still be within the weight and linear measurement guidelines. Caution, there isn't a lot of room to spare with two complete guns in this footprint but they are well protected. Another plus are the built in wheels and two handles, one handle on the side and one on the end along with the convenience of the case designed to stand on end while waiting in line or for transportation. The best price I found + shipping was on e-bay through c2csafety. Good luck, Steve
  13. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I have a SKB case that has wheels and a string loaded handle that holds two guns and have flown with it seven times with no damage. The wheels and handle are great for going through the terminal. Inside dimentions are 41X12.

Rick
  14. dlw77

dlw77 TS Member

we purchased a boyd safe case holds 2 receivers and 3 barrels loaded weighs in at 49#.It has held up great and great people to deal with. www.boydsafecase.com/Two_Gun_Aluminum_Shotgun_Case_p/alumtwoshot.htm Dave
  15. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

Wheeled SKB is probably the good dollar value. There are others that cost more and work the same.

HM
  16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have a Warwick alumnium, two receiver/4 barrel case I would sell for $200 plus shipping from 67401. Two guns n junk should keep you under 50 lbs.
  17. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Active Member

Please understand that there is no such animal as an airlined approved case. I was getting into this area about 6 years ago and the airlines laughed when I inquired about an airline approved set of regulations. The airlines would have tons of lawsuits against them for any such approval on a case. If it is made the airline will find a way to trash the case. The only hope that you have is to do a little research and by the best case you can and hope for the best. If this rule has changed please let me know.

Dennis DeVault
  18. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I use a 2-gun americase with cover and wheel kit and have never had a problem with it on airlines. I like it because I can pack up lots stuff in additon to my guns,subgauge tubes and tools and still make the 50lb limit. I will say that for me it's not the case as much as having the insurance for peace of mind when traveling. Joe
  19. HSLDS

HSLDS Active Member

Pelican or Colorado Custom...
  20. Hhgarvey

Hhgarvey TS Member

The Harrdigg 3100 case is the only way to go. We travel a lot with guns to international discipline events and all the USA shooting athletes have this case. The latches are much better than the Pelican latches. Harrdigg was purchased by Pelican two years ago and I would never go with Pelican buy the Harrdigg one instead. The latches like I said are better also the wheels are farther apart on Harrdigg so it does not wobble side to side while pulling it. This case will take two o/u no problem. Well built and priced very well too
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.