1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Airline approved gun cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by m fowler13, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

I'm going to have to purchase one in a few days. I have found a vanguard and a pelican case at two different locations. The vanguard can hold two guns this is what i'm looking for.The cost is $120.00. The other is a hard plastic case, is a two gun case for $139.95. Anyone have any suggestions or somwhere to purchase these cases feel free to say so. Still looking but going to jump on one in a few days. m fowler13

2. build4u

build4u Member

I know this is not what you asked about However it might be worth a look. Have you seen the Nal Pak cases? The have one shorter for break down guns. They do not look as much like a gun case for theft. I put mine in Boyt break down soft cases then pack clothes and stuff around them. They have wheels and a pull handle. I like mine a lot when flying. However it is the only time I use it. They used to let me put the firearms tags on the soft cases (since they were cased) and not the outside case, which I liked for theft. I am not sure about now I have not flown with them for about 6 years. David http://www.nalpak.com/Tuffpak-1134-W-Wheels.

3. cafowler

cafowler Member

I've had a Pelican for about 20 years. I'd get the long one that two full size guns will fit in with taking the barrels off.

Pelican's have a lifetime warranty, which makes them my choice. I had an issue, sent it back with a $10 check for return shipping, and had a new one in a weeks time, no questions asked. Pelican is the choice for many military and police dept's, good enough for me.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The only requirement from the airlines for a gun case is that it be locked. So, anything you can lock will work for them.

Of course you want something to protect your prized gun. Hands down that is the Pelican.

The Pelican 1700 will hold two shotguns broken down. It comes with wheels so it's easy to roll through the airport or wherever you're going. They usually cost around $180-$200 so, if you see one for $120-$140, grab it.

Storm, those on the Nalpak site and some Browning cases are all made by Pelican so, why not just buy that?

I work for the Air Force and we use Pelican cases for all kinds of stuff. Trust me when I say these guys aren't gentle with these cases. If they can withstand the maintainers on an Air Force flight-line, they can handle anything.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had a Pelican 1700 for 20 years...none better...

6. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

The company I work for makes sensitive testing equipment. Very expensive equipment. A lot of government agencies buy our stuff, and money is typically not a concern, however Long life and reliability is.

We sell them in a pelican case.

You can't go wrong with one of their cases.

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Not the prettiest case, but Pelican is a great case and holds up to lot of abuse. Many companies use Pelican to ship sensitive instruments.

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Not as cheap as a Pelican, but you could look at Rhino. It's been scraped, thrown and generally abused by the baggage bashers. A few scratches here and there, but otherwise it's just fine. I got mine because I think it has the best security of any case out there. I'd prefer that the case arrived with the gun still inside. HJH

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Cabela's bullet proof gun case is a great case.

10. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Thanks guys I am going to get one in a day or two work permitting. The pelican sounds great. What about a plano I know the price is cheap but is the product cheap as well. Going to check the pelican cases now. Be back in a few. m fowler13

11. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Pelican is my choice as you can see.

They have been from Australia to the USA and return every summer for the last 5 years and not so much as a scratch.

Release Trigger.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Thanks for the pictures . Going to check on the Pelicans as we speak.

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Pelicans, nothing else can compete.

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Are they plastic? How good are the locks?

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yes, they are made from a polymer material. The latches are very tough and the cases are nearly indestructible.

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

They are fiber filled injection molded plastic...really really tough stuff. My travel case of choice too. The military uses untold numbers of Pelican cases. Why? Because they just plain work.

17. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have many airline cases,,plastic and alumiun,, pelican long 2 gun is first choice,, when i need to bring more than two guns the cabelas 2 gun aluminumin comes out to keep the pelican company

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

For day to day use, my kolar rides in an americase. If I were to fly with it again, it'd go in a pelican. I wouldn't take my Americase on a plane, I go to great lengths to keep it in excellent condition, and I know it wouldn't remain that way if used for air travel.

I consider the Americase to be a presentation case, and the Pelican to be a utility case, both serve their purpose, but your better off using the right tool for the job...

19. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I don't use my Pelican for daily use either. But for shipping or airline travel it is tops.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My Browning Travel Vault is a Pelican... Chicago to Florida, Hawaii, Vegas and back multiple times... without incident...

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flight approved gun case uk