1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air travel with a firearm

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 525rick, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 525rick

525rick TS Member

I will be visting my son in San Diego CA in August and he would like me to bring one of my shotguns to shoot some clays while I am there. I will be traveling from New York state to San Diego by American Airlines and I would like to know if this will be a problem when I get to the airports on both ends of my trip and also if the gun will be safe in the cargo hold and not get stolen. Any info you can give me will be a big help.
    Thanks Rick

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

See the previous thread on this topic (above)

3. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey Rick I work for AA an I can tell you that we in Chicago take alittle extra care when we ship guns out its the last to be loaded and first to get off.Just make sure of all the normal saftey checks are done and reafirm at the counter when checking in

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Rick ,

You can ship your gun to yourself in care of your son w/o going through an FFL holder . If you'll ship it FedEX in a vanilla outer carton with appropriate insurance , you should be well pleased --- if you can do w/o you "go-to" for a few days on each end .

Charlie

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

I have carried a gun via airlines but, if I did again, I think I'd go Fed-Ex.....definately not UPS as you will have to go thru an FFL on bith ends! Just make certain it is in a good case and in a cardboard box, shipped to yourself at your son's address.-Jerald

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

USPS is ok for shipping to yourself. And it's cheaper than the damn airline insurance, not to mention handled better.

Watching through the plane window as my 4 barrel set sailed through the air when the baggage handler tossed it on the conveyor was almost a cardiac event.

Other passengers thought I was nuts, trying to yell out the window.

HM

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

My guns fly as much as I do, I prefer AA as this Airline has done a excellent job.

My recomendations:

1. Have a top quality case.
    2. Show up early
    3. Always be pleasant with the ticket agent he or she is your best friend.
    4. Personally give your case to the TSA and stay until the officer gives you the tumbs up to leave.
    5. Be pleasant.
    6. Be pleasant.
    7. Be nice.
    8. Be respectful
    9. Dress nice
    10. Be pleasant.

Did I mention be pleasant?

Ronbo

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ronbo is right on target. I do exactly what he says except I buy the extra insurance. Sometimes we can be our own worse enemy and acting like a AH with the airlines and guns can be a prime example. Just act polite and respectful and you will be treated correctly.

TB

9. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The only difference in handling between the airlines, UPS, FedEx and USPS is that you ain't watching the handling at UPS, FedEx and USPS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.