1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuck-d, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuck-d

chuck-d TS Member

Is there anyone out there that has knowledge of air rifles ? I am interested in finding out which cal. .22 or .177 is best for plinking and squirrel hunting. and the make and model of such a rifle.
    any help would be very much apprecated
    thanks in advance,
    Chuck-d

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Here's one I'm considering buying. Comparatively, price seems right.

Jimmy Borum

3. Ringneck

Ringneck TS Member

I have shot a .177 RWS Model 36 for years, killed from 30 to 40 rabbits in the garden during the last five years. Usually the pellet totally penetrates the bunnies, a .22 might be better!

4. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Look out - you'll get bit like I did. I have a crossman phantom and did about everything you can imagine to it. Centerpoint 4 - 16 scope, polished every working surface, honed cylinder, grt 3 trigger, barrel to reciever precision fitted, spring damping tar, etc.

It's a cheap gun (about $100), but one of the best looking synthetic stocked guns you can buy.

If your mechanically inclined, buy a cheap one and have a ball upgrading it.

5. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

It depends on how much money you want to spend. If you want something nice for $600 or so, an Air Arms TX 200 or HW 97 or RWS 54 would be great. These are the springer guns that serious competitiors use in Field Target or air rifle silhouette in hunter class. They will all group in less than an inch at 50 yards and all have velocities around 1000 FPS in .177 and 850-900 in .22. I shoot a TX 200 with a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR scope and like it a lot. I don't use it for small game and varmints but can't think of anything that I would rather use. I have shot some of the GAMOs that will do 1200 FPS with lead pellets or 1600 with raptor pellets. This is the one that was used to kill wild hogs on Steve Smith's TV show. However, the triggers are not good enough for target work or even the accuracy for long shots at rabbits and vermin. The GAMO Extreme Hunter runs around $300-$400. Any of the three guns I mentioned has a great trigger and good accuracy right out of the box.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've owned numerous RWS and Beeman air rifles. I'd rate the Beemans as far superior to an RWS or Gamo. I currently own a few Beeman R-1's in .177 and .22 cal. but my favorite is the Beeman RX-2 with gas piston. You can leave this one cocked forever without spring damage. Only drawback of these high powered air guns is major league cocking effort.

That said, if plinking is your game get a .177. If you enjoy killing your target buy no less than a .20 cal. with .22 cal. preferred. Springers will test your rifle shooting skills-kinda like shooting a flintlock some days!!

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/ this should vaporize any critter.
    Just getting into air guns a bit recently. I had a gent hand me a old crosman 140 pumper in 22cal made in the mid 50s. It needs a few seals to make it perfect. He heard can revive older guns so he thought I could do this 140
    After getting it up and running it took out a pesky squirrel that has been eating at my shed dormer from about 20/25 yards. The trigger is not nice. It holds the valve directly and the pull gets heavier the more you pump.

I now have another crosman 1400 waiting for a new seals that has a different trigger set up and built late 60s early 70s I think.

Before that I just had the walmart/Kmart specials @ 100.00 or so. They all lost their power or just shot like crap out of the box.
    I purchased GAMO hunter model few years back at Dicks sporting goods. It was a deep discount for minor stock dings and scratches. It just did not fit me well.
    LOP and trigger to grip length was just.....not right. Just could not snuggle into that stock. Also it was loud

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a Feinwerk Bau 300 competition air rifle. Serious rifle, serious money. 10 meter olympic competition is limited to 500 fps. Even though the rifle will hold 1mm (yes.039") groups it does not have the power for hunting. Too many wounded critters. I would recommend an accurate .22 pellet rifle for hunting, you cannot beat the extra pellet weight. I would say any .177 less than 750 fps will not be satisfactory.

I bought a middle line GAMO pellet rifle and it was not as accurate as a smooth bore daisy bb gun, I was really disappointed.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://americanairgunhunter.com/ some good reading

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought a springer rws 25 years ago, it has served me well, last year our county executive ask me if I would kill the pigeons that as taken over our court house, considering the distance I knew my rws wasnt up to it so i did a bunch of research and found the air force line of air rifles, I never knew people shot air rifles at 100 yards.. i bought the talon with the built in silencer, man its a pigeon slayer, i killed 148 in one night.. here are a couple of pictures of my rifle with some pigeons.. before you buy seroiusly consider them.. I have about $800 in my set up which includeds a new scuba tank to refill my bottle..

[​IMG]

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

12. TC

TC TS Member

Does Airforce or anyone make a decent repeater?

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

With few exceptions, such as the more ultra-powerful exotics, shooting squirrels with an airgun will result in mostly cripples and a lot of suffering for the animal. Squirrels are tough critters, and can be tough to do in with a .22 rimfire, unless brain shots are made. Except for the most exotic airguns, none of them even remotely approach the .22 long rifle for muzzle energy.

Hopefully, you will not have to learn this the hard way.

bluedsteel

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

An awful lot of dead squirrels and crows around here would beg to differ-not to mention the occasional groundhog!!

15. buck3200

buck3200 Well-Known Member

A employee of my father's(Industrial Electrical) had personal friends at Beeman in Orange County,Ca. He had Pacific Electricord/American insulated wire as his "MAIN" jobsite(80% of the time)while I had Carol Cable Co. as mine.Both had LARGE wharehouses adjacent to the manufacturing. The guards would beg us to have lunchtime "hunts" (weekend)for pidgeons that had flown in and would trip motion sensors requiring them to check between the "rounds" they were expected to make instead of watching TV. Great workday FUN!! Felt a bit strange at PEC though as several years before a employee had went "postal" and killed several others and herself. "Crow-magnums" were the gun of choice in .25 cal. Nearly equal to hyper-velocity .22's

16. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

Hello there….

Since I have not been able to shoot my Shotguns, Pistol and Rifles over the past several years (medical conditions), I have gotten very heavy in to the world of air rifles and pistols.

I always had a pistol, rifle or two as a kid growing up. Beeman Springer, Crosman 357 CO2 pistol, Daisy 1200 stuff like that.

But when I found out that I was not going to be able to shoot anymore, I thought my world was going to fall apart. Than I discovered the true world of an Air Gun Shooting…

I had no idea of the stuff that was out there…

CO2 Rifles, Springer Rifles and PCP Air Rifles…

I prefer the Pre Charged Pneumatic Air Rifles

Than you have:

Big Bore Rifles that can take down Big Game

Semi-Automatic Air Rifles that are a Blast To Shoot

Bolt Action Rifles With Electronic Triggers

Single Shot Olympic Match Rifles

Custom Made rifles in all sorts of configurations and Calibers

The Big Plus is they are all virtually recoil free and once you make your initial investment in your equipment, they are very inexpensive to shoot

It all depends on what you are really looking for in an Air Rifle and what you have in your budget to spend…..

A half decent rifle starts at $250 to $350 all the way up to $3,000 to $4,000

Some of the Great Air Gun sites you could check out are:

Airguns of Arizona: http://airgunsofarizona.com/

Pyramid Air: http://www.pyramydair.com/

Network 54 Classified Airgun Site: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/

Top Guns Airguns: http://topgun-airguns.com/

Straight Shooter: http://www.straightshooters.com/

Pamona Airguns: http://www.pomona-airguns.com/

Just to name a few….

I am into the European Gun Manufactures who make some of the finest Air Rifles in the world.

I am very partial to FX Air Guns, from Sweden who make a fantastic line of bolt action and semi automatic rifles that are a blast to shoot..I own several different models..

Daystate another European manufacture that makes one of the finest Bolt action rifles with an electronic trigger….I own a Mark3

Than you have Air Arms, Air Force, Beeman, Benjamin, BSA, Crosman, Daisy, Feinwerckbau, Hammerli, Gamo, Sheridan and so on…

Any way, you get the idea…I could go on for hours talking about air guns…

If I can be of any help, or you would like to see what some of these fantastic air rifles look like, just send me a note and I will get back to you as soon as I can…

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

Train222@aol.com

17. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Stu, you beat me too it,I was going to post you as a refrence, how goes it?
    Jim

18. rw993

rw993 Active Member

My experience with the cheaper ones are the triggers suck (10lb pull?). WHO HAS THE BEST TRIGGER????????

RW

19. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

I had a Sheridan Blue Streak that was made in the 60's that still shoots to this day without ever needing any service. They are built with all steal components and genuine wood stocks. They make a very sturdy air rifle. Mine was .20 Cal and I think the muzzle velocity was around 800 FPS. Many of critter where I grew up wish that gun wasn't in the neighborhood.

20. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My airforce is a .177, it has adjustable velocity settings, I usually shoot mine at about half throttle.. and "snipe" squirrels in the head all the time, on occasion I have shot them in the chest..and they drop like a greased brick...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content

pacific electricord shooting