1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catpower, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've been thinking about getting an air rifle to save what seems to be my gold plated .22LR's I was thinking in the $2-300 range does anybody have any recommendations?

Been looking at the Gamo's they look pretty good but figured one of the members here might have a little insight

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Try Stu aka Mr. Gun on here

3. chemist

chemist Member

try www. Yellowforum.com or www.gatewaytoairguns.com- both excellent places to learn about the. Some excellent used buys. Some can be as much as a good trap gun.
    Go onto Pyramid air.com and you can look at models and prices. DO NOT put a regular scope on a spring powered air gun- EVER>

Yes, Stu is the guru of info on these, I love his collection- now if the lottery cooperates
    Rich K- chemist

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You'll shoot your eye out.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can't beat a Benjamin Sheridan 392 in that price range. American made and will last a life time. I would suggest either the .20 or .22 cal. Also, stay away from any and all guns "Made in China", there are a ton of them out there in that price range with very deceptful names that you may trust. They are pure junk and will not hold up.

Jb

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Beeman R-9 in .20 Cal. Find a good used one!!

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What ever you decide, or especially if your heart is set on a Gamo, order one of this guy's replacement triggers ($35-$40). While you're waiting for it to show, shoot the gun as is. Then replace the trigger with Charlie's and you'll feel a lot better about what rifle you've chosen.

The triggers on the Gamos (and some of the others)are what they refer to as "an adjustable two stage trigger". What it really is is the most awful trigger ever placed on a rifle. 3/8" of creep, followed by a spongy let-off is not "a two stage trigger". "Adjustable" means you'll be able to adjust from one end to the other and feel virtually no improvment.

I'm sure there is a model out there that has a decent trigger, but I doubt it is in the $300 range. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

P.S. I was shooting my second Gamo Hunter 440 with a Simmons Pro-Air Scope and on the last shot, all four mounting studs holding the rail broke off of the receiver and allowed the scope to drop to the floor of the porch. I'm sure they likely were breaking off one at a time, but I never caught it until it was too late. That also likely explained why the gun would group better with open sights than the scope there towards the end. ;-)

8. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got a Beeman R1 .177 that im going to sell for $400. JW

9. Ogallala_1

Ogallala_1 Member

what makes come in the 20 caliber. Is there a benefit over the 22 caliber?

John

10. redfin

redfin TS Member

i have a beeman c-1,it knocks stuff over,just as powerful as a 22 short.

11. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

First off, what are you going to do with it? If by chance to are planning on shooting target paper targets at 25 and 33 feet, you can go several ways. But first off, there are three different types: Pneumatic or pump-up, CO2 and Spring-powered.
    Which one do you want?
    There are pro’s and con’s to all three.
    The first one I’d cut is the CO2. CO2’s are nice but you will soon tire of refilling or finding your gas supply.
    What about sights? Scope, Open or Aperture?
    How much are you planning on spending?
    If you are looking for low cost, not cheap, you might want to look at the Daisy 853 equipped with aperture sights.
    But if you are looking for some thing good and cheap, there is no such thing. But just a cheap one is a Crossman.
    The low cost Spring Powered guns always have recoil. Recoil, some thing you will soon get tired of.
    I have a Daisy 853 for several years that I shoot indoors at 25 feet on the NRA target. When I say “in doors”, I’m referring to “in my basement”.
    When I shoot at 33-feet, I use my FWB-300S.
    When I shoot out doors, it’s Trap with a Remington 870 TB.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I know that it is a lot out of your price range, but if you look around you can find a Feinwerkebau (FWB) 300 for about $500-600. They are a single side cock, match grade with a trigger that is unbelievable. Mine is a two stage and is 6oz. The certified test target showed 10 shots at .039" center to center (1mm) I know that it sounds like a lot of money, but consider the price of 5000 even top grade pellets against the price of 5000 cartridges.

If you want to improve your shooting skills a precision air rifle is the way to go. The slow pellet speed DEMANDS that you hold hard for proper follow through. When you master a good pellet rifle, the 200 yard offhand event is not difficult to register top scores.

13. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

CatPower,

It all depends upon what type of air rifle you are looking for. Springer, CO2 or PCP…

When ever I am asked, what rifle do you recommend for a beginner..

I always suggest the Benjamin Discover or Marauder Duel Fuel Rifles

The main difference between the two is the Discover is a single shot and the Marauder is an 8 shot repeater.

They are both duel fuel rifles, compressed air and co2…

With a compressed air rifle you will need a pump or scuba tank set up to fill it. I suggest the Scuba Tank Set Up. Unless you are looking to build up your body, the hand pump takes a lot of effort and mussel to fill the rifle. Where the scuba tank fills it up in seconds.

Once you make the investment in your Scuba Tank Set Up, you can fill up any compressed air rifle that is out there.

If it is with in your budget I would go with the Benjamin Marauder…

Simply, for the Money, it’s the best deal out there..

An 8 shot compressed air rifle for less than $450.00 shipped from Pyramid Air (Need to use the 10% off coupon that they always have floating around)

Here is the direct link to the Marauder:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

train222_2008_0303680.jpg

The Discovery is also a great deal at less than $270.00 for the rifle or less than $360.00 (shipped) for complete kit with the pump.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Air_Rifle/1543

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

train222_2008_0303681.jpg

Hope this information was helpful.

You can contact me direct if you have any questions…

Stu

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

Email: train222@aol.com

Web Site: http://www.mrgunsplace.com/

215-969-0726

14. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

CatPower,

It all depends upon what type of air rifle you are looking for. Springer, CO2 or PCP…

When ever I am asked, what rifle do you recommend for a beginner..

I always suggest the Benjamin Discover or Marauder Duel Fuel Rifles

The main difference between the two is the Discover is a single shot and the Marauder is an 8 shot repeater.

They are both duel fuel rifles, compressed air and co2…

With a compressed air rifle you will need a pump or scuba tank set up to fill it. I suggest the Scuba Tank Set Up. Unless you are looking to build up your body, the hand pump takes a lot of effort and mussel to fill the rifle. Where the scuba tank fills it up in seconds.

Once you make the investment in your Scuba Tank Set Up, you can fill up any compressed air rifle that is out there.

If it is with in your budget I would go with the Benjamin Marauder…

Simply, for the Money, it’s the best deal out there..

An 8 shot compressed air rifle for less than $450.00 shipped from Pyramid Air (Need to use the 10% off coupon that they always have floating around)

Here is the direct link to the Marauder:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

train222_2008_0303680.jpg

The Discovery is also a great deal at less than $270.00 for the rifle or less than $360.00 (shipped) for complete kit with the pump.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Air_Rifle/1543

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Discovery_Rifle_Pump/1534

train222_2008_0303681.jpg

Hope this information was helpful.

You can contact me direct if you have any questions…

Stu

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

Email: train222@aol.com

Web Site: http://www.mrgunsplace.com/

215-969-0726

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Thanks for all the info, I have a Sheridan Blue Streak, but I was kind of looking for the break open types so I don't have to pump it up, bursitis in my shoulders, really bothers me sometimes, and I need a spare so when the grand kids invade there won't be any big arguments over one gun

I know they will then argue over who gets which gun

Thanks again

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a Beeman R7 and it has a trigger that is as good as my varmint rifles.

Shoots as good too.

HM

17. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

R W S 350 Magnum. Google it. A little more money then you said but a great rifle.

18. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

If you can find a good used FWB 124 sporter, single barrel cock about 830 fps.
    I have two, one is like new the other probably 20000 pellets. shoots ground squirrels, crows, MY cats, jack rabbits and a couple of coyotes. If I find another good used one at a decent price I will buy another.

19. Slugo

Slugo Member

I love shooting air guns!! Believe it or not, here's my most accurate. Mid 70's Sheridan 5mm (20cal) with open sights. It's deadly...

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I sight in my air guns by shooting a pellet at the target, then adjusting the scope to pile the pellets into that same hole. All the Beeman R-9's in .20 cal. I've ever owned shot into the same hole thereafter. Lower cocking effort and a good scope are important-some air rifles are a moose to cock. Always keep screws tight and search for the right pellet.

I've owned probably every RWS made and although not bad, just not a Beeman!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

love shooting air rifle