1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

Any suggestions on an air rifle in the $150 range that would be accurate enough for dealing with backyard pests?

Thanks

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I have an old Sheridan 5 mm that is real good, I think they are now Benjamin though, but still pretty good guns

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just buy the Aquila Super Calibri ammo and set up one of your 22's...its actually no louder than any of the higher powered air guns

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=295321

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Sheridan Blue Streak 20 cal. eight pumps, about seven hundred fps and a solid lead pellet.

Tried out several a few years ago, using modeling clay as a penetration medium.

Most 177s would go through one and half way through the second stick (one inch square lengths of clay). My old Benjamin 22, had since the sixties and rebuilt a few years back, would go through two, blowing the first one in half.

Sheridan 20 would bury itself in the third, first blown in half, second cratered badly.

I did find some pellets last summer in 177, look like the standard diabolo hollow points but with a brass or copper bead in the nose, that just about took a rabbit's head off at the neck. Shot two out of the garden and I was totally amazed at the destruction. These chrono out at about 950 fps out of my break barrel springer.

Now, the springer and the Sheridan sit beside the sliding door for garden pest duty.

One suggestion that works for me.....on pneumatics, leave one pump in after you're done. Keeps the seal intact. Don't leave your springers cocked.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Same thing "CalvinMD" said but use the CCI CB Longs. They are half the noise of the ones he suggested. No joke. Haven't found a backyard critter they wouldn't dispose of yet. They do not over penetrate either. Note: They are the LONGS not the Long Rifle. Big difference.---Matt

grntitan_2009_250384.jpg

6. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the ideas, I do need something quiet so my neighbors don't get upset.

7. grntitan

Honestly the CB Longs i suggested are quieter than most air guns. I have the same sort of neighbors and they are none the wiser. ;-)

Matt

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have about 850 clams invested in my air rifle set up..lol.. its one you fill with a scuba tank.. its like a trap gun when you go buy one the sky is the limit.. I would suggest a break action where you cock the gun with the barrel, a springer type..

9. grntitan

blkcloud--Sounds like a cool set-up. I'd like to see one like that. Never too old for cool toys. LOL

Matt

10. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

I went with a RWS 54 Diana Grade, put a 4x12 Leupold on it, it will shoot 3/8" groups or better at 30 yd.Joe

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

not much in that price range but add a couple of bills and you're there. air rifles have come a long way.

click the link above to get some ideas.

12. wlc

wlc Member

I think I'll try the CB longs in my 9422. I get some birds in the spring that like to peck holes in the siding on my house.

13. wlc

wlc Member

That's a great site for ideas. I need to be careful, I can't afford another hobby.

14. grntitan

wlc--AHHH sounds like you have the same issue as me. I have a wood sided house. Those stink'n woodpeckers drive me nuts. I've dispatched of too many to count. Its the only critters my neighbors agree with me on. Their house is wood too.

Matt

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

One small problem with the 177s is that if you use the PBA pellets you can get a 22 caliber "crack"as they break the sound barrier.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have an old Benjamin Sheridan .20cal and it's been the best, most accurate air rifle I've ever owned. Kilt 42 Chipmunks last summer, most shots between 15 and 30 yards with factory iron sights....rarely miss.

17. grntitan

15 to 30 yards with iron sites on those little suckers is some damn good shoot'n Tron.

Matt

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Matt, my rifle is a Talon SS .177 I killed 400 plus pigeons from our town square with it this year..

[​IMG]

19. grntitan

Man that thing is bad ass looking. It ain't your old Daisy Red Rider that's for sure. Looks like almost like an AR. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Matt

20. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

I have a spring loaded break-barrel that "cracks" like a .22 when it fires a pellet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.