1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Rifles ?????? What to do.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deercreek, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I am about ready to decide on an air rifle. I have already decided on a 22 cal for harder hitting purposes from the data I have been reading. I spent about 3 hours last weekend with some hands on at Cabela's and Gander Mtn with several brands. I think I want to stick with Gamo or RWS and not the cheaper ones. I am fine with one between 300-500 dollars. I feel like I have completely started over in learning about this, I feel I know my firearms well but the air rifle thing is very different to me. I am thinking of the barrel break type or the cocking rod just below the barrel.

I am set on the two brands mentioned above just because that is what I have spent the hands on time with and don't really want to try and check out other brands. (I did not like the Beemans, Crossman's or Daisys)

Any info from air gun knowledgable persons would be helpful. I have already checked out Pyramid Air pretty well and read a couple of sites with reviews but I value MOST information that I have gained from this site.

2. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

I had an RWS for several years and in 2009 bought a Benjamin Marauder in .177. I had never owned a compressed air gun and while I won't say "never", I have no desire or intent of going back to a spring gun. I never did like the feel of the springer when you shoot it.
    It is a bit more money since you have to buy some form of air tank to fill it from but the lack of the movement when you shoot makes it a lot more fun. I've only had to fill my tank a couple of times at the local scuba shop ($6) and it'll last a long time.
    I'm sure that one of the Steyr's, Anschutz or Air Arms might be a higher quality but for $400-$450 the Benjamin is a lot of fun and has been well worth the money.
    I only shoot indoors or on field target type stuff and don't hunt with it so keeping it aired up isn't a problem. Those Gamo metal resetting targets are sure to keep you entertained for hours if you have 4 or 5 of them at different distances.
    The RWS are a lot higher quality than the Gamo's in my book and if you're going to hunt, the springer would be the better choice. The newer versions with the gas piston are supposed to make them a lot nicer to shoot but I have not had the chance to try one.
    Along with Pyramyd Air's site, check the customer reviews at Airguns of Arizona and Midway. Between them you should get a pretty decent idea of what will hold up and work well.

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I know you said that you don't want to consider another brand, but Ruger makes a very nice air rifle.

I did the same thing you did. When I went to buy the Gamo there happened to be an individual looking at the the Rugers. He was a virtual encyclopedia on air rifles plus he owned 20 of the various Gamo and RWS models.

Anyway, after listening to him I ended up buying the Ruger and all I can say is that is great....built like a tank, extremely accurate, good trigger, thumbhole wood stock, etc.

Jim C

4. biking

biking Member

Yahoo a soon to be air gun fan! Tell ya where I'm comin' from, I am a Grand Slam honoree, 27 yarder, AAA singles and A doubles shooter and now I am really really into airguns, they are awesome! I've gone through many in the last few years, you can't believe the accuracy and power. You're going in the right direction checkin' out all the airgun stuff at Pyramind Air however checkin' out all the guns you gotta consider the Benjamin Discovery PCP gun, it is incredible! I restocked mine with a custom stock, scoped it and I can put one pellet after another in the same hole all the way up to 50 yards. The problem with some of the "magnum" springers is that they are way to hard to cock, they're heavy and no where near as accurate as the PCP guns. And don't get caught up with the 1000 feet per second hype. Fact is the most accurate velocity for pellets is under 1000 FPS. Get into the airguns... unbelievable!

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I know of at least one GAMO air rifle that will not outshoot a $50.00 daisy smooth bore BB gun. The service line was not too helpful and said to try different types of pellets. Pellet selection may take you from 4mm groups down to 2mm groups, but it will not take 12 inch patterns down to a usable group. I would stay away from them. I have a FeinWerkBau (FWB) which is an olympic grade and makes 1mm groups with almost any target grade pellet. Good Luck

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gamo isn't too good in my opinion. I've owned practically every RWS made and while not bad, can't compare to my Beeman RX-2 (gas piston). Biggest drawback is it's a moose to cock. I also own several Beeman R-1's but my go to rifle is the RX-2. Wife shoots the R-1.

As a hunting weapon the .22 cal. springers are hard to beat. Just ask a very large groundhog that met his fate in my backyard yesterday!!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Can't help with air rifles. But, if you want to talk about shooting a shotgun in the air where a target isn't, I would be happy to indulge you.

Pat Ireland

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The Gamos have awful triggers that, fortunately, can be fixed by going to the above link and plunking down $35 or so for the replacement.

Also, most of the break action guns have the same problem. The scope is mounted on the receiver and the barrel is off by itself connected by, of all things, a hinge! You'll be able to shoot decent groups with the open sights because they're mounted on the barrel, but if you slap a Simmons Pro-Air on it you'll likely pull your hair out trying to get a decent group out of it (at least my Gamo 440, anyway). You'll think it's sighted in and the next starling you see - it's bye-bye birdie. If there's anyone who's figured out a way around this problem, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Next time I'm going to be looking at a side-lever.

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

RWS is a good German made Diana air rifle thats on your lower end of Adult airguns. The Gamos are crap, but if you want to buy the Huglu of spring piston guns, it's your money. Try educating yourself here:
    http://www.straightshooters.com/
    before you decide where to lay out half a grand on quality English or German Air.

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

You have already said that you wanted a springer but take a minute to check out the PCPs. You will be surprised. The Benjamin Discovery is a nice gun. I have an Air Arms S-410 carbine in 22 cal. I get 30 shots set at high power. I shoot squirels out to 100 yds with it, and there is no noise. I use it in town on wood rats, jays and pigeons. You might contact Mike Mazzucci and he can really fill you in on the PCP air rifles as he has several. He is the one who got me hooked. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Vince McNamara

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

You really should look at a PCP. I have a Airforce Talon, it fills from a scuba tank, does not make that pingy springy sound when you fire it and it almost completely silent thanks to the built in silencer. I shoot pigeons with mine and have killed 148 in 1 night, here is a picture of 8 I shot from our local courthouse the other evening.. these are BAD AZZ guns.. I have a rws break barrel.. it doesnt hold a candle to the Talon..
    [​IMG]

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Feirickbau? spelling

Model 124- nearly new- long thought of as the most accurate and dependable 22 break open ever made

email me if interested

Gene Nosco

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Gene:

How about Feinwerkbau

14. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

stick with rws....or beemans hw series. I have been collecting shooting air rifles for 25 years. spring piston ones. stick with the german makes and you will be fine, The enligh made ones are great in .177 but the .22 the pellets dont fit right in some of them bsa for example. the .22 is mor like a .23 cal.

.177 for feathers,.22 for fur.

15. deercreek

I was probably a little misleading in my posting---I do not necessarly think that Gamo is great, it was just one brand that had many different models to look at. The Gamos with wood stocks from 400-600 looked much better and felt better to than the common ones. Just from what I looked at last weekend I like the RWS the best. Why did I not see many other than the "spring" guns ???

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have a Remington Genesis which is a piece of crap! spring gun, lucky to hit a softball from a rest at 25 ft!?!?

17. Erik W

Erik W Member

This is interesting. Would someone explain how the modern "non-spring" guns work? Do they still use the mini Co2 capsules? From what I read above, they are more quiet; are they as accurate as spring gun? What kind of accuracy can be expected from a decent "sporting" rifle of either type?

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Check out the web-site for the Airforce rifles pictured above. They have several videos of bench shooting these rifles and are impressive to say the least! Check too the forum these shooters of Airforce guns use posted here. I like those rifles!

Hap

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I posted another thread with my picture of my 124 FWB-- I had the models mixed up-- the 127 is the .177 the 124 is the .22

regards from Iowa

Gene

20. deercreek

Hap Mec Tweeks

Where should i look for the video you are speaking of ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.