1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

air plane and gun travel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullll, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullll

pullll Member

I will be flyinf from Indy to Tucson late next week and would like to shoot while there, several weeks. What info about American Airlines and transporting a trap gun on the airline in stowed bagage. The gun came with an Americase. Will be changing flights at Dallas Ft. Worth. Need a better case, cover for case, box for case, new case? Kolar combo.

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

You case is fine. Just have it unlocked at the ticket counter when you check in as you will have to open it there and fill out a card and stick inside. After counter agent looks at it gun, you lock it up and on the way it goes. I have canvas covers for my cases so they do not get marked up. Jim Foley at Big Sky Case Covers makes about the best cover I have seen and they are reasonable. If interested you can call Jim at 406-546-9915 or email him at jimfoley0402@gmail.com. Do not be afraid to ship you gun, Have shipped mine all over the world with no problems.

Have a good trip and shoot well

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have flown all over the us with my Perazzi without problems . I would suggest the you consider putting a tag on your case lock with your cell phone number on it just I case TSA wants into it during the trip.

Buy the extra baggage insurance. It puts the airline on notice that you don't want your case growing legs.

Tom

4. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Bought a pelican case for flying to the grand this year. I really love that case. Worked great for the Ljutic.

5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Seriously consider travel insurance for the gun. I have a rider from my homeowners for this to cover if the gun disappears enroute. Know the rules and regs for travel and be prepared to explain them to the ticket agent, who will likely be clueless. Every airport has different TSA procedures, Tucson makes you wait at the ticket counter until TSA clears the firearm. Make sure you get the clearance from TSA before you go to gate. Otherwise, no issues and you won't have to do anything during the layover in DFW. Last item, get a damn good lock for the case. It does NOT need to be TSA approved, but it should be good enough to discourage the baggage smashers from getting curious about the contents.

Hal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.