1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air gun to kill coyotes?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Dogbest, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Dogbest

Dogbest Active Member

We live in a rural subdivision that has coyotes that are killing people's pets.
    The coyotes have gotten so bold we see them on the golf course during the day.
    Is there an air rifle or something similar that is powerful enough to kill a coyote?
    Regular guns are not allowed to be shot in the subdivision.
    Thanks.
    Dan

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

They hunt deer with air rifles in the UK...

Chance McCall thanked this.
  3. cervidaehunter

cervidaehunter Member

I've killed a few coyotes and many crows and coons with the Benjamin Trail Nitro Piston 2, in .22 cal using crosman domed premier pellets that are 14.3gr. Not that loud and super accurate. I always take head shots on the coyotes. Aim for the eye or the bottom of the ear. Couple of them DRT!
    Amazon has the gun with a scope (scope not that good but will work) for a great deal right now.
    I would suggest picking up a Hammers scope for it. Great scope made for high power piston air rifles at really good prices.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. cervidaehunter

cervidaehunter Member

Don't use a hollow point or pointed pellet. The domed style have the best penetration and deliver the most energy per grain.

5. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'd go with a Marauder .25 and head shots only. The gun has a shrouded barrel, making it super quiet.

Eddiefromoverlook thanked this.
  7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

9. Tron

Don't be fooled by that "Built in USA" bull$hit. That means it's assembled.Nitro 2's are assembled here with mostly Chinese parts.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  10. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

I wouldn't brag my NP2 up too much either. It looks cool, Pyramid Air had a decent deal on them so I ordered one. It hasn't broke but tack driver, it is not. I'd use my .22 before grabbing the NP2. Came with a junk CP scope that wouldn't move windage hair. Had to smack it with a screwdriver to get it to set. It's in a landfill somewhere.
    May mount a better scope and try again, may not...

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

How about one of the new airbows? They look very promising to me after using a very awkward crossbow for the last few years.
    Legal even for deer in some states.

Tron thanked this.
  12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rural subdivision? Ask around if they wan't their pets eaten, or you responsibly to shoot the yotes. .22 long to the noggin would be better than any air rifle, and more responsibly accurate.

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Real gun not legal but I would discreetly use a .22 and CB's

grntitan thanked this.
  14. Tron

That may be a great option.

15. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I have a Feiwerkbau 124 sporter (not made anymore) in .177 that has a rated fps of 830.
    I have killed 3 with it with head shots out to 25 yards.
    I have killed a few more with it out to 35 yards with a pellet just behind the shoulder and into the lungs if you don't hit a bone.
    The body shots do not drop them in their tracks but they do die shortly, usually without running off.
    There are a lot of other air guns out there that shoot considerably faster than this one but not too many as accurate.

16. chemist

chemist Member

Two main types of air guns. Springers which have springs inside and you use the barrel or a lever to cock, or PCP where you fill a built in reserve to propel the pellet. You can use a foot pump or external tank. Theses guns can be muted using lead dust collectors or shrouds. Springers in the 900-1000+ fps range are loud and approach a .22. Springers on the low end are not expensive compared to the PCP and accessories. You should determine if shooting an air rifle in the development is legal and killing varmints. Betcha the first time someone sees or hears you, you indwell the animal lovers all over you. Old 3S , shoot, shovel, and shut up applies. Last comment, do not, I say do not put a regular scope on a springer rifle as it will get destroyed from the linear and torsional recoil of the spring.

17. mach1cj

mach1cj Member

My best friend has a 124 sporter also and you are right RWT... one hole time after time.

18. Dogbest

Dogbest Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the guns mentioned.
    Dan

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would have already done this and kept my mouth shut in his subdivision. In fact, I use this method often for undesirables. I keep a couple rifles setup and loaded just for this job.

20. easyloader

easyloader Member

A suppressed .22 using subsonic hollowpoints would do the trick. In urban Oregon, using an air gun is not much different than using a firearm, as far as the law is concerned. It wasn't always that way, but we have become much more "civilized" since the Democrats took over. By the way, I have two Feinwerkbau 124's and they work beautifully.