1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Car is this for you

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lkn4rocks, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

A new vehicle that is coming on the market, is this for you?....Copy and paste the URL below in your browser window.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/659/

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

These guys need some research money going their way don't they? Dan

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I remember seeing something on the History Channel or something like that about a car developed back in the 30's or 40's that ran on air.

5. alpine

alpine TS Member

Air motors are inherently very noisy. Plus air at 4000 psi is a danger in of itself. Storing air at those pressures is another problem. "Charles law" is not the only problem the will have to overcome.

6. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Alpine wrote..."Air motors are inherently very noisy. Plus air at 4000 psi is a danger in of itself. Storing air at those pressures is another problem."

Can they be noisier than a Harley or a sport tuned car with a 4" exhaust? and sure...4000psi can be dangerous....as can an internal combustion engine with 20 gallons of fuel in it. can you say ....PINTO? hehehe Sure, I knew ya could.

7. alpine

alpine TS Member

A cup of gasoline properly dispersed is about the same explosive power as a stick of dynamite. And yet most people have done well for the past 70 years.

8. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I had a toy like this when I was a kid. Little car, single piston 'engine', an air tank and a small pump (like a bicycle pump). Pump up the tank, give the wheels a little start, and away it went. But when the pressure went down, it wouldn't get out of its own way.

It may get 65mph or so on 4000psi, but after about 50 miles when the pressure comes down to 2000 or so, I'll bet you'll have to sell your soul for 35mph.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I have been working on a similar car concept for several years, now. The twisted rubber-band airplanes I had as kid used to work quite well and the same power plant may work for a car.

There would be no pollution and winding the rubber band would provide exercise we all hear is good for us. For those not wanting to wind the rubber band or if it becomes unwound on the freeway, a small turbocharged V-6 would wind it for us.

The first car built was too heavy and the rubber band may have been too small. The second prototype was made from balsa with a larger rubber band but rolled over when the rubber band was being wound.

The current model has retractable struts extending from each side and stays in place nicely when turning the rubber-band-tightening crank. In the first trials, the car moved less than a mile, which could be aproblem when vacationing with the family. The solution probably lies in finding a larger rubber band. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.