1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aiming

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TEXASZEPHYR, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

My wife is new to shotgun shooting, been rifle and pistol for 30+yrs. question is how can i get her to stop aiming? She sees the target fairly quickly and maksw her move but when she gets to the target and the sight pic gets right she stops the gun and pulls trigger resulting in shooting behind the bird.
    I have tried getting her on 3/straight aways and graduating to sta 2 &4 tryng to build confidence. Would weighted barrel help. Gotta do something to get her past the 15 to 17 per trap

Bob

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What about covering the sights so she can't aim? It will force her to point?

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When you find the answer ... let me know how!

After 35+ years of shooting trap ... all of a sudden, I am doing the same thing!

Every so often, I catch myself looking at the barrel then hearing "Lost!". Very frustrating!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Teach her to see the bird with her head down and just trust the gun to go off when things are right. It takes a little time.

Pat Ireland

5. Mikr101

Mikr101 Member

I took a Double D trap clinic and Dean DeBow saw I was barrel checking. He used a marker and blackened out the front site and there was an immediate improvement in my shooting. I now only see the bird and have continued this to date.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Thanks guys. I had already blackened the bead. We also use the T Jordon wall chart. Am now trying to get her to swing faster with hopes that gun momentum will help with follow-thru. Any more ideas are apreciated.

Bob

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'm convinced the wall chart is part of the problem.

I gave one away when I realized that practicing by moving the gun to stationary targets (and the little black aiming dot near each one) just encourages the shooter to compare the bead to the target pictures during the "shot" to see how well they did. Then when shooting at real targets the shooter tries to recreate what they saw during practice with predictable results.

Clay targets don't stand still... it's illogical to practice shooting at stationary pictures if the goal is to develop the skill to track moving targets with a moving gun?

MK

8. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I've had our youth follow the pieces to keep them swinging the gun. It might work since it's easier to keep the gun moving than to stop and restart.

Does her swing need speeding up? Is it natural for her size?

It's worth a try...
    TNCoach

9. creek

creek Member

I have had to battle that same problem, and still happens occasionally when I am not concentrating.
    What works for me is keeping my mind on the timing as to when I pull the trigger. After I track the target with my eyes, not the gun, the gun should follow. You can only concentrate one one thing at a time for that split second, keeping your mind on the trigger only keeps me from aiming.
    John

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That is a common problem-especially with rookie women shooters and more than a few men. I try to encourage them to shoot their first good sight picture-not the second or third. It usually works but takes time to instill that concept. Please do not encourage her to speed up and force the shot as this brings up a whole list of new problems.

Patience!!

11. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Also being new to the sport I can only relay some helpful information that I received from a member of my team. I was taught to use pointing with my left hand. I only use the sight beads to get the gun into position and check that I am set. Once I call for the bird I look to acquire it and "point" at it.

The other thing that I was told is that when coming to shotgun from Rifle or pistol you have to unlearn aiming. I was encouraged to shoot with both eyes open. Does your wife? This makes bird acquisition faster, but also seems to make pointing easier.

Hope this is helpful, and not something that you already have heard.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"... I was taught to use pointing with my left hand... Once I call for the bird I look to acquire it and "point" at it."</I></blockquote>

As a righthander, I never use my left hand to point at anything> How does that help?

<blockquote><I>"...I was encouraged to shoot with both eyes open. Does your wife? This makes bird acquisition faster, but also seems to make pointing easier."</I></blockquote>

Statistics generated by the American Optometric Association show that by age 45, 35% of men and 75% of women have developed cross dominance vision problems. Encouraging a woman to shoot with both eyes open may do more harm than good unless/until it's certain that she is not among the majority of women who have visual dominance problems.

MK

13. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

MK (unknown1)-
    I was simply trying to offer advise that I was given that has helped me out. As a right hand shot I hold the forearm with my left hand. While holding in my stance, if I point my left finger down the barrel I can "point" at the bird. When I call I don't worry about aiming I just "point".

Your statistics on dominance are definitely something to keep in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.