1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Aiming to be a ONE-GUN shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Yes, the title is somewhat of a pun. What do I mean? My goal is to have a single gun, probably O/U, that I will use for all of the shotgun shooting I want to do - trap, handicaps, doubles, sporting clays, and some skeet. Sure seems a darn site better than packing multiple guns only to discover "the guys" are shooting something today for which I don't have the right gun.

In addition to the convenience, I expect to be feared wherever I shoot because I'll be one of those old dudes who only shoots ONE GUN - someone to be feared.

Now, how does all that sound as a life goal?

Larry

PS: No, I'm not 100% serious in this post. AS others have written, "...just sayin..."

2. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Yes, the title is somewhat of a pun. What do I mean? My goal is to have a single gun, probably O/U, that I will use for all of the shotgun shooting I want to do - trap, handicaps, doubles, sporting clays, and some skeet. Sure seems a darn site better than packing multiple guns only to discover "the guys" are shooting something today for which I don't have the right gun.

In addition to the convenience, I expect to be feared wherever I shoot because I'll be one of those old dudes who only shoots ONE GUN - someone to be feared.

Now, how does all that sound as a life goal?

Larry

PS: No, I'm not 100% serious in this post. AS others have written, "...just sayin..."

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Larry,

I have a Winchester Select Energy Sporting with 30" barrels, adjustable comb. I use nylon washers for spacers on the comb. I add two washers to shoot trap. Take them out to shoot clays. I would use the clays configuration for skeet.

I shoot this gun as well as I've shot any gun I've owned.

Caesar Guerini has a gun they tout as the one-gun for all-games. It's the Summit Impact (or Challenger Impact for the fancier engraved side). Adjustable comb, adjustable rib, and adjustable balance.

The only extra thing I'd want is a remote control to adjust the above between shots on trap doubles or sporting clays.

On another note, I've owned a few Beretta 391s. I changed the shims so often I built a device to install the washers in the stocks more easily. It was a dowel rod with duct tape on the end to keep the washer from sliding off.

The only person I know who can change a 391 shim and washer faster than I can is dickgtax. But he has long, boney fingers and doesn't need the device above to install the washer. Plus, he's Jewish and wouldn't spend the cash for a dowel rod!

Danny

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Larry,

I have a Winchester Select Energy Sporting with 30" barrels, adjustable comb. I use nylon washers for spacers on the comb. I add two washers to shoot trap. Take them out to shoot clays. I would use the clays configuration for skeet.

I shoot this gun as well as I've shot any gun I've owned.

Caesar Guerini has a gun they tout as the one-gun for all-games. It's the Summit Impact (or Challenger Impact for the fancier engraved side). Adjustable comb, adjustable rib, and adjustable balance.

The only extra thing I'd want is a remote control to adjust the above between shots on trap doubles or sporting clays.

On another note, I've owned a few Beretta 391s. I changed the shims so often I built a device to install the washers in the stocks more easily. It was a dowel rod with duct tape on the end to keep the washer from sliding off.

The only person I know who can change a 391 shim and washer faster than I can is dickgtax. But he has long, boney fingers and doesn't need the device above to install the washer. Plus, he's Jewish and wouldn't spend the cash for a dowel rod!

Danny

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Listeen to dmarbell ie. the Winchester Select Energy Trap! I also have one to which I added a Graco adjustable buttplate and a Tom Larkin adjustable comb. It will do any and all with Browning Invector Plus tubes! (Also, it is made in the old Leige, Belgium factory where the Browning Superposed were built. Need I say more???) And very affordable. Jack

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Listeen to dmarbell ie. the Winchester Select Energy Trap! I also have one to which I added a Graco adjustable buttplate and a Tom Larkin adjustable comb. It will do any and all with Browning Invector Plus tubes! (Also, it is made in the old Leige, Belgium factory where the Browning Superposed were built. Need I say more???) And very affordable. Jack

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

The most fun to be had in the clay target games is buying/selling/trading/modifying shotguns! My motto is: why have just one shotgun when you can have 30-40?

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

The most fun to be had in the clay target games is buying/selling/trading/modifying shotguns! My motto is: why have just one shotgun when you can have 30-40?

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it is ok if you got the gun that works for you. if you don't you'll never know

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it is ok if you got the gun that works for you. if you don't you'll never know

11. NealSS

NealSS Member

First of all what type of shooter are you AA , C or D. If breaking in the 80,s is having a good day ,Then Go ahead and get and Over and Under or Automatic of some sort. On the other hand if you are a AA shooter Let us be realistic .A trap Gun or Skeet gun ,Bird Gun is Just that They are Built different for a Reason!You can get these do all guns But dont expect to compete at a Very level in all of the different games you play. We are not all Jim Thorpe,s HA HA HA

12. NealSS

NealSS Member

First of all what type of shooter are you AA , C or D. If breaking in the 80,s is having a good day ,Then Go ahead and get and Over and Under or Automatic of some sort. On the other hand if you are a AA shooter Let us be realistic .A trap Gun or Skeet gun ,Bird Gun is Just that They are Built different for a Reason!You can get these do all guns But dont expect to compete at a Very level in all of the different games you play. We are not all Jim Thorpe,s HA HA HA

13. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Another vote for the select energy - BUT....

For $750 there are two citori satin field guns for sale on this very site that will do it all for you - including hunting. I beleive one even has a 3 1/2" chamber (if you are very brave).

I have been having the same internal conversation... One gun to do it all...

I think the citori would be a great gun for that - but if price is not an option then the new A400 Xtreme may be the ticket. Fires every 12 gage shell out there - but designed as a hunter. A little ingenuity may be in order to make it a real trap shooter - but then as stated before there will always be some level of trade off.

Joe

14. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Another vote for the select energy - BUT....

For $750 there are two citori satin field guns for sale on this very site that will do it all for you - including hunting. I beleive one even has a 3 1/2" chamber (if you are very brave).

I have been having the same internal conversation... One gun to do it all...

I think the citori would be a great gun for that - but if price is not an option then the new A400 Xtreme may be the ticket. Fires every 12 gage shell out there - but designed as a hunter. A little ingenuity may be in order to make it a real trap shooter - but then as stated before there will always be some level of trade off.

Joe

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a beretta 390 silver mallard that I think is about as close as you can get to the "one gun" but you you have to change barrels occasionally. Bill Wheeler

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a beretta 390 silver mallard that I think is about as close as you can get to the "one gun" but you you have to change barrels occasionally. Bill Wheeler

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I went from 16 shotguns down to only two. I shoot a 32 inch 682 gold trap O/U and a set of Kolar tubes to make the gauges for sporting clays. It is a little heavy for skeet, if I did it over again, I would go with 30 inch barrels. I am not a top shooter but I have broken a couple 50's with it. When I had a singles gun, I only broke a couple of 50's so I do not think the O/U is holding me back. Without having to "know" several guns, at least when I miss, I know why. I am sure that if I were able to go back to shooting 500 targets a week, I would be better, I do not think a singles gun would have much effect.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I went from 16 shotguns down to only two. I shoot a 32 inch 682 gold trap O/U and a set of Kolar tubes to make the gauges for sporting clays. It is a little heavy for skeet, if I did it over again, I would go with 30 inch barrels. I am not a top shooter but I have broken a couple 50's with it. When I had a singles gun, I only broke a couple of 50's so I do not think the O/U is holding me back. Without having to "know" several guns, at least when I miss, I know why. I am sure that if I were able to go back to shooting 500 targets a week, I would be better, I do not think a singles gun would have much effect.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

NealSS

Good post.

Don Verna

20. dverna

dverna Active Member

NealSS

Good post.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.