1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AIM Team Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k810329, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k810329

k810329 Member

Im thinking about trying to put together an AIM team in my area because im not happy with the direction our SCTP team and the state organization is heading.I have had several of our shooters express interest in a new team,especially for the increased shooting opportunities.Ive contacted our state rep and am hoping to hear back soon.
    Can any current team coaches give me any pointers or advice? Im especially interested in fundraisers to help offset the cost to the kids and parents.Im totally new to this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.Ive enclosed my e-mail address in the event anyone has anything that may help me.Thank you.
    James
    k810329@hotmail.com

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear James

What state are you in? AIM is doing well in Tn. It was originally set up as a fail safe for SCTP if the program failed under the new owner.

With that said, if SCTP is not fun, or is too much drama, by all means, set up for AIM. If not fun, your young athletes will find something else to do, and you will lose Coaches and other Volunteers.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

James I don't know if you have been to the above web address or not. I am not involved in the coaching or running of a team.

I do however see more participation in my state with Aim this year than I have seen with other youth programs of the past few years. I just posted the aim web site hoping you might get some information form that. I hope everything works out for you good luck.

Bob Lawless

4. k810329

k810329 Member

Shooting Coach I am also in Tennessee.

Bob thanks for the web address.

5. clayman51

clayman51 Member

James,

I sent you an email

Dennis Menning
    KY State AIM Director

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

James,

Your email came back, Invalid address

Dennis Menning

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I know the AIM State Cordinator for Tn, here is her contact info. thanks!
    Darby Payne
    195 Birch Lane
    Pulaski, TN 38478
    Cell: 931-309-6563
    Fax: 931-424-9167
    Email:
    dpayne11@utk.edu
    dpayne8@tnstate.edu

8. k810329

k810329 Member

k810329@hotmail.com

9. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

K810329,

I Am a Aim Coach in Minnesota. Aim is the direction the nation seems to be taking for Trap shooting. SCTP seems to be spinning toward skeet and Sporting and not commited to just one sport. When the rules changed and the costs rose, many went the Aim route including most of our State.

I can tell you Aim is not difficult and the direction is fairly clear, although new and with some growing pains, it seems to be working out well.

There is some differences such as 3 classes, Pre-sub, Sub-Jr. and Jr. classes. Other changes are you can now shoot until the age of 23 if you continue onto higher education ( College Teams). My wife, CalimitySJ, and I along with several other volunteer coachs run a program in Buffalo, MN. and for the 1st year we were SCTP. Aim is much simpler and geared for our sport.

As far as fund raisers we have done several community drives, but not to benifit ourselves, but the community. A Blood Drive, where shooters shoot for free, when donating blood. A food shelf drive where youths get pledges for targets broken, and after the shoot collect those funds and donate it to the Food shelf. We also sell raffle tickets to other fund raisers and help out thier sales and they in turn donate back a portion of the collected funds to our youth group. Donations are graciously accepted and we make every donation very public by announceing it in the local papers.

One of our most successful fundraisers is to write a grant for donations from "Friends of the NRA". We have used this group for a couple of years and it proves to be very valuable. You can find them under the "NRA.com" site and then click on Friends of the NRA and then state fund grants. A representives name will appear under your state. Contact them. The instructions and forms are on line.

Pheasants Forever, Deer Hunters, Ducks Unlimited, Cabela's all have been some revenue help. Lots of groups have $$$ they are just looking for a worthy cause! This my friend is one!

Good luck
    Primedust
    Mark Stevens
    Buffalo Gun Club, Buffalo, MN. Head Coach Level II.

10. Nick Aycock

Nick Aycock TS Member

James,
    The ATA has the Benefit Sweepstakes which is an excellent fund raising opportunity for any youth team, gun club, or State Association. There are no upfront costs and your team simply sells the tickets for $5, keeps $3, and returns $2 along with the entry stub to the ATA.

I've posted the link above so that you can get more information and even order tickets online. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at nick@shootata.com

Nick

11. k810329

k810329 Member

Thanks for all the advice and help guys.I really appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.