1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AIM Shoot Prior to the Grand

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by deereRalph, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Folks,
    I do not know why the AIM shoot should be before the Grand. It makes it more costly for parents that have to camp or stay in hotels. Thought the way it had been done for the past few years worked well. I may be wrong, the kids need to be part of the Grand. Guess that's wrong. Who is making the decisions now?
    The shoot we all want to be are best at, as trap shooters, is the Grand. That's why it's called that. The Grand American.
    Grif

2. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Grif,
    Have you heard that they are moving AIM portion of Grand? If so, from what sources? New dates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

3. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

SongDog,
    Sorry for the late reply. Got the information from the AIM updates, sent out most Fridays from Tara Short.
    Unless they have had a change of heart or brain. Moving the AIM shoot is a mistake, in my opinion. Mike Hampton is now in charge of the AIM shooting at the Grand and maybe elsewhere also, I do not know. According to the update I received the dates have changed as well as the program. I do not know if this is a done deal or just in the talking stages. To me it is not the best decision for promoting trap to parents with kids that want to shoot.
    Just my opinion, and we all know everyone has one.
    Grif

4. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

Grif and SongDog, the AIM Program has been moved to a Monday Tuesday at the Grand. 60% of our kids from WI mite not be able to attend the AIM at the Grand because of this change!
    Fromer WI AIM Coach/Director and Former Central Zone AIM Rep.
    Gary DeSmidt

5. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Gary,
    You are a former AIM Rep.
    I may become also, what happend to you? Dennis Menning was a great guy and all of a sudden quits? What's up? I have to question why?
    Grif

6. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

I don't know what they are thinking if they move the Aim Grand to a Mon. & Tue,they will lose alot of kids,most of the kids are back in school by that time or will be next year when they go to a balanced school calender.

7. Gary De

Gary De TS Member

Grif, shoot me your e-mail and I will call over the week end. This is not the place to go into details. trapshooter@netwurx.net

Gary

8. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Would love to have someone forward me these emails. My State Director keeps everyone in the dark.

coach@masondixonclaybusters.com

9. highrib

highrib Member

How much will the extra labor cost to run this tournament as a
    independent event?With the financial/economic issues that are facing the ATA
    and the individual ATA members cost would/should be considered.

Billy Wood
    VA State Director

10. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Hmmmmm. This kinda hurts the vacation time and school work time for the kids. I hope there is a "logical" explanation and it is expressed. Also, this decision needs to be made soon in order for folks to have time to take vacations & make arrangements.

For those of you in the know, please keep updating. I have sent email to my state ATA director and the AIM HQ. I will also update if I hear anything.

11. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I have gotten a reply from AIM already. Dates for the 200 singles are Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th.

They are having a "Youth Shooting Carnival" on the Saturday and Sunday prior. See below from AIM.

To: AIM Zone Representatives and AIM State Directors
    Subject: 2012 AIM Update #4

This week’s update is about the 2012 YOUTH SHOOTING CARNIVAL to take place on August 4-7 2012. The AIM Grand Championship will take place on August 6th and 7th with preliminary days on the 4th and 5th.

We understand the concern people have about the changes to the AIM Grand dates. To let everyone understand some of the reasoning behind the change, the AIM Team has compiled a list of the thoughts behind the decision. Our goal, above all else, is to provide the best experience and service to the youth shooters.

1. This is not a decision to get the kids out of the Grand. The Grand American is for EVERY ATA member so the kids are already included in the Grand. After this past Grand where the kids took over by winning ½ of all the Handicap events, the $100,000, the Grand American Handicap, a Beretta and the Kolar the AIM kids DOMINATED the Grand. They are all ATA members so the Grand is already put on specifically for them and they should be there just as much as everyone else. We understand how people can see it differently but when you look at it this way you can see the Grand is the Grand and all ATA members are eligible to attend and participate and the AIM Grand Championships are just for AIM members. It is a special event only for the kids. The AIM Grand is just for AIM shooters and they deserve to have our entire attention. Our goal is to grow the AIM program and the AIM Grand Championships into the BEST in the world. Due to time and space restraint during the previous AIM dates we were unable to accomplish this goal. We feel that to be successful we need ample room to grow. Being held on the weekend limits our growth potential. We are already using all 3 ½ miles of trap line available. With this move we now have ample space to add participants and events to the program.

2. IT is ALL about the kids!! The kids deserve their own event. The Grand American is of course the première trapshooting event in the world and in theory it seems like it would be great to hold the AIM event in the middle of the Grand. However the logistics behind holding two championship events simultaneously end up resulting in the impossible task of giving 100% to either of the events. The ATA wants to put their FULL support behind the AIM program and nothing but 100% is acceptable.

3. Expansion from a two-day to four-day format will provide ample opportunity for the youth to participate in numerous events, while also providing a chance to learn more about trapshooting and its unique community of shooters. The new four-day format makes time available that could not previously be offered for more in-depth meetings with coaches, directors and Zone representatives along with time to have seminars, exhibits, clinics and dinners for the kids.

4. The two largest attended youth trap events ever held were on a Monday and Tuesday. We understand the issues associated with moving the event away from the weekend. We do believe that the sacrifice will be awarded with the additional activities and events that the ATA will be able to offer.

5. Participants have asked overwhelmingly for more events. One of the most suggested improvements to the AIM Grand is to have a Doubles and Handicap event. Being that those events are all available at the Grand with few participating we feel that the shooters feel more comfortable having an AIM Handicap and Doubles event. To be able to offer this we need space and time. By having the additional days we will be able to offer at least 300 registered targets.

6. A further addition to the AIM Grand will be the inclusion of new shooting disciplines to the event schedule, possibly including skeet, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, air rifle, archery and a special TOP SHOT event. In conjunction with our sister organizations, AIM will offer prizes and trophies for these various events. Our hope is that the increase of disciplines will provide greater exposure to new shooters as well as a chance for experienced shooters to compete in a wider variety of events. The World Shooting and Recreational Complex, home of the AIM Grand, offers extensive facilities for the various disciplines that will make the youth’s shooting experience a truly unique experience and be one of the few national events that provides multi-discipline competitions solely to youth shooters.

7. Of course there is also the fact that having the entire facility offers more RV/ Camper availability along with closer hotel accommodations.

We want to stress that we did not come upon this decision without carefully looking at both sides. We truly feel that this move enables our athletes to compete in the premiere youth shooting sports event in the country. We hope that this gives our members the possibility to participate and be pioneers in an event that has the potential to grow into a sporting event that is recognized as THE outdoor youth sportsman’s championship. We believe that AIM has the ability to grow into a program that will help forever shape this country’s thoughts on the shooting sports. To accomplish this we feel that it is necessary to expand. We understand that change is hard and we hope that you will continue to support this great youth program.

12. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Thanks for posting this....<br>
    <br>
    Sounds good to me....I'm really looking forward to seeing what this "Youth Shooting Carnival" is all about!

13. aboztrapshooter

aboztrapshooter TS Member

ok, so here is my 2 cents worth. I help coach one of the larger AIM clubs in the state of Indiana. Since we took over the program we have taken anywhere from 23 to 27 shooters to the AIM Grand every year. Since they have decided to move it to Mon. and Tues., without talking to coaches or parents, we will more than likely not being bringing any shooters due to the fact that they will be in school. Doesn't the A in AIM stand for academics and wouldn't we be defeating the purpose of promoting academics if we pull them out of shool for as much as 3 maybe 4 days depending on what all is going on?

Are they having the vendors come in for this event? If not then I think they will take a sizeable hit on sales because let's face it these youth spend alot of mom and dad's money. Ask the vendors at the Indiana State shoot what happened to theirs sales when Indiana moved the youth to outside the state shoot so they could "devote more time and attention to them". I think this will be a huge mistake on on the part of AIM management but it apparent that they don't care what we at the grass roots level think.

One last thought then I will shut up. I understand the concern to get the youth more involved in the shooting sports and I promote it every chance I get but honestly if I wanted skeet, sporting clays and everything else they listed then I would have never hooked up with AIM I would have stayed with SCTP!!! Don't get me wrong I have nothing against SCTP each has it's place in the shooting world. Make s me think that AIM wants to be just like SCTP and quite frankly I don't think we need 2 of the same entity.

Sorry this was so lengthy. I will step down off my soap box now. Mike C

14. ky4some

ky4some Member

My son shot his first year in AIM last year and attended the Grand. Had a great time. Part of what made it a great experience was that it actually was during the Grand. Lot's of adult shooters, vendors, etc. It made him acutely aware of the fact that he was at the national championship of the sport. Don't know how this format will impact that but we will give it a chance. I can certainly understand the difficult logistics of running two events at the same time.

My won't be in school yet so the Monday/Tuesday thing doesn't matter for him. But I'm sure it will feel more like a "youth" event if no adult shooters are around. Maybe a parent/child event could be included. I think thhat would be fun.

Let's hope the vendors are there. That was part of the fun for us. We also enjoyed Scott Robinson's exhibition.

Mike Kamer

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

If they have the AIM shoot at different dates than grand, maybe we wont have some whippersnapper of a kiddo winning our 100k. It asn't supposed to work out that way was it?? Can't have them kids out shooting us, Just sayin

Bob

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Seems to me there are folks trying to grow a program. As with any change, there is NO convient time for everyone. Good luck on trying to improve the AIM program. Jake

17. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

It appears to me the changes are to make the kids feel that this shoot is for them and not make them feel like 2nd class citizens. Some adult shooters have complained about the kids in the past. Also it is my understanding that a majority of the vendors will be there. Do not believe that they are trying to be the SCTP...but nothing wrong with introducing them to other shooting sports and to give them something to do to stay busy and entertained why they are there.

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I think the main reason for this change is "the good old boys" don't want to lose to the kids again next year. Get the kids out of the way a week earlier and by the time the "Real Grand" starts, most of them will be back in school. That's what it sounds like anyway.My question, and I'm sure someone can answer it, is how much has the ATA grown in active membership since the inception of the AIM program? Another question is since the SCTP no longer requires registered targets, how much has that affected the ATA in lost fees and membership since a lot of teams don't shoot both programs? Just curious.

Maybe AIM and SCTP should merge and become one program with just shotgun sports and let the other shooting sports stand on their own feet. Combining all these diciplines to one big festival is mind boggling and Sparta could not handle it all.

19. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Bob -

Did all the kids skip school for this year's Grand? If they did, why wouldn't they skip school this year too?

When does school start these days? Around here it's not until late August, so going to the Grand wouldn't be an issue. Must not start that early around Sparta either otherwise about 90 percent of the trap help wouldn't be there.

In what part of the country does school start before August 7?

Scott

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Scott, I am sure some kids either had to skip a few days or are home schooled. My kids start back on August 13th this next year so they will only be able to shoot prelim events from Wednesday thru Sunday if they choose to. As someone else posted earlier, the A in AIM is for academics and I won't let my kids skip school to shoot. I think the education comes before shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.