1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AIM or SCTP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pacemaker, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

What is the difference between these two programs that are developed for young folks to shoot?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

AIM is registered ATA targets and program. AIM is Trap and run by the ATA. The SCTP is a seperate organization and non-registered targets. It involves all aspects of Clays shooting. Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet. That is a very brief description.

3. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Thank you for the reply

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Read for yourself....

www.shootata.com/aim/aim4ata

www.sssfonline.org

Many programs in our area have dropped AIM and gone solely with SCTP. I had thought the two would have merged last year, perhaps that will happen this off-season.

SW

5. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Speaking strictly for my geographical area...coaches who have a passion for registered trap shooting gravitate towards the AIM program. Coaches who don't belong to the ATA and have never personally shot in a competition go with the SSSF program.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

mmonique, I don't think they really even have to have a "passion" for the ATA shooting, just be a casual participant and enjoy the sport themselves somewhat may make a difference. But I agree with what you're saying and seeing.

7. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

Bob,

I agree without exception that the casual trapshooter who also coaches is making a huge contribution by introducing new shooters to the sport. My only point going back to the original posters question was that each program has its own personality.

Mark

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you want to compete, really compete in trapshooting you need AIM by ATA. What's the matter with doing both?

9. mmonique

mmonique TS Member

OR as I have been thinking lately neither. Why not just bring them to a shoot and compete for whats available. Perfect example is last year's MASS State shoot. Juniors from our club team took Sub Jr RU, Sub Jr Open and C open.

Do they really need to belong to a program. I've been doing this since 2007 and I'm not sure anymore.

Mark

10. roger8918

roger8918 Member

My team participates in both AIM and SCTP but, at least here in Pennsylvania, the organization of the SCTP program is head and shoulders above the AIM program.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Do they really need to belong to a program

Yes, unless you want to overlook the thousands, yes thousands, that are shooting AIM, SCTP and 4H each year across the country, The only reason most are shooting is that a clay target program is offered locally.

Take a trip up to Canada where they have no national clay target programs, junior shooters are something that is a rare site at many clubs.

Check out the various news articles posted involving Jr. shooters...

http://www.losttarget.com/#JR

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

roger8918..........explain please.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Our High School Team does both AIM and SCTP as well. We are partial to AIM because we really do not care for the SCTP's classification method.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Our State AIM shoot is held on Saturday and the SCTP State Shot on the Sunday of the Colonial Classic.

Our State SCTP Trap Director is in constant contact with his head coaches. He sends out emails with costs times, provides a detailed coaches cheat sheet of what is needed and how the day will go. Holds a pre-shoot coaches meeting and puts on a nice awards ceremony.

Except for replying to an email that I sent him in March requesting a confirmation of the date of the shoot, I have not heard for the AIM director since September 2010. To me, last years AIM State shoot seemed like little more then an afterthought. The AIM awards ceremony piggybacked the SCTP's on Sunday and was little more then the kids lining up to receive their awards. His original plan was to just mail them out the next week.

I also attended the SCTP National event last year and it was easy to see it was ALL ABOUT THE KIDS! I do not have first hand knowledge of the AIM event so I cannot compare the two but I would be very impressed with AIM if it came any where close to what I saw at the SCTP.

Someone I was talking to at the SCTP Nationals I had a great analogy.....The SCTP is all about the kids, the AIM is all about the ATA. From my perspective I feel that sums it up very well.

15. Bob Hawkes

Joe Potosky makes a very good point. It is not just the junior shooters lacking in nmbers up there either. It is too early to tell but the programs started by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, SCTP and CSSI, and also AIM by the ATA have to have a benefit long term for the shooting sports. Interesting how people will bash the ATA but I see no comments on NSSA and NSCA who did nothing to help foster junior shooting. No Good Deed Shall Go Unpunished. Too much truth to that I guess. Shoot often and enjoy, Bob

16. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Bob, I agree with you comments on the NSSA and NSCA. From my perspective neither has done a good job promoting youth in their sports. At least for the Sporting Clays events my kids attend, none have reduced rates for Juniors and most have mandatory (part of the fees) buy into the options.

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Wow Roger.... PA sounds just like WI.

SCTP is about the kids and we are having a great time with it!

The SCTP program includes Skeet, Sporties, Trap, International Trap.

The Midway USA endowment program is a great way to earn money to build your program.

The "Remington Team in a Box" is a great deal for upstart programs.

Tons of awards and categories to give more chances for kids to win at Nationals.

Opportunity to go to Colorado Springs to train and compete with USA shooting members.

IMO AIM is an afterthought to ATA.

SW

18. k810329

k810329 Member

Im an assistant SCTP coach and an AIM coach.2 of my sons shoot both AIM and SCTP.Although we enjoy shooting both the SCTP is hands down better for us.There is much better competition,better events,better management of the program and better communication between out state organization and parents and coaches.Our SCTP coordinators here in Tennessee seem to be more attentive to our needs and concerns than our state AIM director.I had some concerns and tried to take them to our state director and recieved no reply.After all our AIM teams went with the SCTP program this year I decided to call the ATA offices but by then the damage was done.We will continue to shoot both as long as my kids want to.Im not sure about other states but our SCTP does register targets with the ATA.

19. rmathis

rmathis TS Member

I too coach squads that participate in SCTP and AIM. Actually to be accurate, in Tennessee, the local SCTP program is separate from the national SCTP organization but mirrors the rules with a few exceptions. Here are my thoughts on the differences in Tennessee and Nationally:
    1. SCTP is not discipline specific and provides a framework for scholastic competition in other clay target sports.
    2. SCTP provides a link between youth shooting and the Junior Olympic (international shotgun sports) program.
    3. AIM has the potential to be the best program for youth shooters participating in American Trap since for most of them the ATA will be the outlet for their future shooting when they get older. So far AIM has dropped the ball in many areas both at the National and State levels. Unfourtuneatly there still appears to be some resistence by the ATA old-timers to promote youth shooting. On paper, the AIM program provides by far the best format for kids who want to shoot American Trap because of the class and category system that exists in ATA and the potential to keep shooting after graduating from school. Why does ATA not add a pre-sub category and make AIM and ATA completely overlap at regular ATA events?

For now, SCTP is a better organized program with better organized youth shooting events. AIM could absolutely take over the American Trap part of youth shooting if they would just try even a little because on paper it is a superior product for american trap disciplines. So far ATA and the state trapshooting associations have not wholeheartedly endorsed youth events, although they have not turned down the thousands and thousands of daily fees that the kids pay for registered shoots.

For skeet, sporting clays, international trap, skeet, and double trap....SCTP is the way to go.

For American Trap (so far just singles but handicap and doubles would be a logical extension don't you think ATA?)......AIM is best on paper but not yet in practice.

20. Bob Hawkes

Good points and well spoken rmathis. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you as that is very similar to the situation in this area also. If it were not for the efforts of two people in our state, AIM would be non-existant. Too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aim4ata merging with sctp