1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

AIM NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS SCORES ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Anyone know who will be posting scores (available to see online)for the AIM National Chamoionships?
  2. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

3. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Member

Sure wish the ATA would consider Shooterspost. They did an unbelievable job with the SCTP Nationals. It was as close to instantaneous as it could be.

I left there at 3:30 this afternoon and 3 of our squads that shot before noon weren't posted yet.
  4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

AIM would never think of doing anything that the SCTP does better.
  5. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Member

I know, yesterday at the coaches meeting that was moved up 3 1/2 hours from 6:30 to 3:00, it got a little spirited.

People were complaining about everything from the dates for this year to vendors not being there to not being able to test-drive guns to you name it.

Do you think the 4 Zone committee people, the exec director or anyone else from the ATA was taking any notes?? No, Wagner said just send an e-mail and all items would be researched and discussed. Think any of them will answer an e-mail this week?? I would imagine all decisions will be made at the big meeting next week and we'll find out about it in january,2013.
  6. tachyon

tachyon Member

http://www.shootata.com/aim/pdfs/2012_Grand/all_Scores_Preliminary.pdf
  7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><i>I would imagine all decisions will be made at the big meeting next week and we'll find out about it in january,2013.</i></blockquote>

The ATA BOD Meeting is not used to make decisions about the AIM program. Reports are given regarding the AIM program, among other items, but the Delegates do not discuss and make decisions about the day-to-day administration of the AIM program. Now it's possible that a Delegate may comment about the AIM program, but "all decisions" will not be made. You're welcomed to sit in on the BOD meeting if you don't believe me.

And it's my understanding that Lynn Gipson was taking notes.

It seems to me that an email would be a good way for an interested individual to make sure that their question is correctly stated and properly documented.

Since the AIM Championships will be over for the next year after Tuesday, I'm not sure why an answer this week is necessary, or even desirable. I'd think that you'd want a well thought out response, not some knee jerk rebuttal.

It's also my understanding that an overwhelming majority of the meeting attendees expressed their opinion regarding the current program. I would hope that the current Administration would take that very seriously.
  8. perazzigal2

perazzigal2 TS Member

The ATA needs to just give it up on having a Youth Program!!

The EC has not listen to a thing any of the Coaches and Directors have said to them in the last three years, what makes you think they will listen now. Until Mike Hampton is gone nothing will change.

Anne
  9. Dieselman

Dieselman TS Member

Everyone. Give Perazzigal2 (Anne) and A+ for being so insightful. The problem is that by the time the Grand is over Hampton will have the EC convinced that the AIM program was totally successful and that all directors, coaches,parents and participants were quite happy. Those that said anything negative during the special meeting or afterwards will subsequently be satisfied by Hampton's responses and everything will be right in the ATA world - make that, the NEW ATA TEAM.

A few years back as I recollect, some of the "volunteer" directors had the audacity to conduct their own survey and it strongly supported having - leaving - the AIM shoot on the Saturday and Sunday during Preliminary week so the youth shooters could enjoy the Grand experience and visit with the vendors that would be open by that time. So much for listening to those that 'pay the freight.'

Time will tell.
  10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Just got home from the AIM Nationals a few minutes ago.

Not the most unpleasnat experience at the same time not as bad as expected.

Still would rather it be the weekend between pre-lims and Grand week, but we will see what happens.
  11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How did your teams fair Bob? We only had one squad. Was not a great team score but had a two boys shoot well. I too prefer it during the Grand but thought it went well.
  12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

All our kids did well. Many personal best scores shot, especially from our first year shooters.3 of them shot their first 25 straights. Wasn't too crazy about the way they did the scoring for awards. Unless you wanted to stand around at the side of the shell house and do the math, you had no idea where your kids stood. So, we waited until it was all over.

It would have been nice if they would have announced what club and where the winners were from.

We did have 1 shooter win 1st place division 3 Sub-junior. Luck of the draw so to speak.

I would imagine there will be more changes again next year.
  13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Holding the AIM competition during the Grand, (in my personal opinion) dilutes the youth program when it mixes them in with all the other Grand shooters. I feel the kids deserve their own separate competition. In the past, when it was tried to shoot the AIM kids in conjunction along with the big kids, squadding turned into a nightmare. Coaches, parents, and shooters flooded the ATA with requests for refunds when the squads overlapped and the ATA program couldn't be shot. The Youth Carnival was new this year and hoped to provide fun, family events prior to the competition. I haven't really heard much comment either way on how this was received. Nothing is stopping the kids from shooting on Mon/Tues and staying longer to shop, shoot, etc. With so many schools starting earlier and earlier, it is getting harder to schedule any August shooting dates.
  14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I don't think it dilutes the youth program at all.

There were according to Hampton in the coaches meeting on Sunday, only 15% of the AIM shooters last year that stayed for the Grand. The fact is that the 15% that stayed, took home the $100,000 and half the handicap events and money. That in my opinion is why they pushed the kids up in front of the Pre-lims, threw a "Shooting Carnival" that they could only participate in each event once.They had to be registered for the event to participate. Brothers or sisters or friends that wanted to try any of the games could not participate, unless they were registered to shoot the 200 target tournament. How does that recuit more kids into shooting?

As the one lady coach stated in the coaches meeting," It's like you (the ATA) wanted us, now you've got us, but you don't know what to do with us."

I am still curious why the EC that was invited to Columbia, Mo. to visit with Larry Potterfield and his Midway Foundation, walked away from an $800,000.00 a year for 10 years offer from them for the Youth programs of the ATA.
  15. roger8918

roger8918 Member

So were are the scores? The link that was provided by tachyon doesn't seem to be working.
  16. tachyon

tachyon Member

Try the link again. It worked for me just now. When they were updating the scores it would not work for a few minutes, once the scores were updated it started to work again.

It is just a raw listing of everyones scores, no sorting by scores, squads etc.

Is it true that the classifications and awards were done like a lewis class event? So you could be a winner if your squad hit the right score not just the high score?
  17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Lewis classification system is the fairest way to distribute trophies when you are faced with a group that can't be classified at all accurately.

In the case of AIM, you have shooters with skill levels that are all over the map. Many of whom are also extremely inconsistent.

To attempt to classify them based on age won't work. Most of them don't have enough targets to have developed any meaningful average. And some of them will be improving quickly and out pace their "average" over a few hundred targets.

People who look at the Lewis as a "luck of the draw" type event don't know how a Lewis is calculated. It's the best way available to handle the situation we are faced with in the AIM program.

After all, in a Lewis class distribution, you will never have "D Class" won by a 100 straight. (B and C class won't be won with 100 straights, either.)
  18. gsd63

gsd63 Member

V10 you are not in touch with youth shooting at all. If you care to answer do you or have you coached a youth team ? I will be very suprised if so.
    The Lewis is luch of the break after the HOA. Ask Leo Harrison if he would like to shoot for his National Championship using the Lewis.

The Lewis system and the date changes are why our teams (60) plus kids are coming up over the weekend to shoot individual. We did not want to shoot a "Carnival" and be counted as part of a FLAWED system !!!!!
  19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what "luch of the break" is, so you're one up on me.

Leo wouldn't mind. He'd win the top class.

Now why don't you tell everybody how you fairly classify 1100 kids with little experience and very few targets to go by.

Oh, and when you come this weekend, make sure none of your kids play the enhanced Lewis option. It's "luch of the break" too, you know.
  20. gsd63

gsd63 Member

V10 Since you want to be cute I meant "luck of the breaks". As far as anygh shooter goes you shoot great and win HOA no foul. But what if there is squad that is at the lower end of the split. Say they were an A squad that would have taken A but due to being in the bottom of the break that get nothing. If the old system was in effect they might have won class A.

It is also my experience that these kids have plenty of targets in the system. Agree that some get better as the year goes on but so does every new adult shooter. Now give their awards by Lewis.

And yes all are playing the LEWIS and understand it is simply luck on how the scores fall. That is LEWIS. I sure hope some of them take as much of your money as possible. Because if you continue to run the AIM as this year that is all they have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.