1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AIM going under SCTP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pat drake, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

We are new to the aim program here in New Mexico. We started our first AIM team only four months ago. what do people think about merging the AIM program with the SCTP? Will this be a good deal for the kids? I know that most of the money would go to scholastic shooting programs. ie: high school and college. In new mexico we do not have any schools or colleges that have shooting programs other than a few 4-h shooters. any help would be appreciated

Pat Drake

2. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Pat,

I have been a coach for our SCTP HS team for 3 yrs. I have nothing but praise for the program.
    I think the merger of the two organizations is a very good thing for the kids, as the AIM program dealt only with individuals last year, and the team concept was lost.

I hope to see bigger and better things this year when the two organizations act as one.

Mike Kafura

3. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

When was it annoucnced that the two would merge? SCTP has all new management, are they running the show?

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how things posted on this site get so messed up. It's like a line of people passing something on to the next in line - by the time you get to the end it doesn't even resemble the original message! I don't think the OP had any intention of saying there was a merger, I think it was posed as a question?

AIM is the ATA's youth program, and it would not make sense for it to be merged with SCTP, as that would not be an ATA program anymore. I certainly don't know myself, but I don't think the ATA is getting out of the youth shooting program business.

5. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I received a call from the state ATA delegate last night. He forwarded me an e-mail from the executive director of the SSSF. The E.D. stated in his letter to the delegates that he was optomistic about reaching and agreement with the ATA, bringing the AIM program back under the SCTP. The state delegate told me that all the state delegates were having a conference call tonight (10-19-10) at 5:00 MST to discuss whether or not to allow this to happen. Being the NM state AIM director, the delegate has left the decision up to me. I am not familiar with the SCTP, SSSF, or really any of the other organizations. Thats where I need your help. We will do whatever is best for the kids, period. Thanks a million.

6. t-bar

t-bar Member

makes sense to have everyone under the same roof.

7. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Pat,

You have an email concerning this

Dennis Menning

Kentucky State AIM Director

8. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Can anyone confirm this? Can someone please post this email?

9. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

As an AIM coach who has started a local AIM team, I wish they would communicate better with the coaches. I find it distessing that these events would be discussed in the rumor mill with out advising us first.

That said, I do believe it makes sense to have it under one roof. My question is what happend to my credentials? What about my team? How will the combined porgram be administered? What impact will it have structurally on competition?

10. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Wolfman,

Who is your state Director for AIM

Dennis

11. roger8918

roger8918 Member

anyone with more information? this is starting to sound a little fishy to me?

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

AIM is a pure trap program. SCTP strives to promote many different games. I am a trap shooter and I support AIM.

Pat Ireland

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have been in the middle of this mess for last three years. It is MY OPINION that the ATA has struggled to successfully run a youth program, nor do they really seem to want to put forth the effort to make it successful.

I will agree with Mr. Kafura that everything I have seen was more oriented towards individual shooters than teams. I felt like the team aspect was treated like an afterthought this year and it was worse in 2009.

Less than half of the teams in SCTP are "School supported" now and I agree with Russ a fully Scholastic program will not work.

870, IMO ATA wants out of youth programs. They know this venture is not successful and the effort to make it successful is more work that they want to invest..

Personally, I feel ATA needs to roll the AIM into the SCTP and then throw it's full support behind it (YES $$$$) and let one organization concentrate on our kids.

SW

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

SW:

If this is true I guess I'll have to eat my words above!

I'm just surprised. Even if the program has issues, I'd think they would want to keep it in-house. That's not to say they can't support youth shooting outside the ATA necessarily, but having youth programs is (my opinion here) a big issue in maintaining 501(c)(3) status. Not saying it is required, but it certainly looks good to have it.

15. northriver mike

northriver mike TS Member

sctp in california is no longer, the california directors are going their own way with a shooting program it will be run the same way the sctp was run with out ata involvmant and aim is no where to be found. I have watched and coached high school and gun club from my experiance the the youth shooting program better stay with ata or pita or they wont last. also they need to split up the varsity shooters in to classes there is no way a second year shooter in the high schools can even come close to competeting with a kid that has been shooting since they were 8 years old i sure hope they figure this out befor this all goes down the tubes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.