1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ah Vista's service pack not out until 2008

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Got Vista..... GOOD LUCK!!!!!! First service pack out in 2008, isn't Microsoft just grand? ha ha ha ha

Jerbear

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

So what ELSE is new? Bend over and buy Micro$oft! That's why I'm trying to work with alternatives. Linux is free and it's getting better. I just can't see buying Window$ and supporting their bad habits. If they made cars, they'd be out of business from all of the recalls. Software producers seem to have NO liability at all. It seems like the EULA covers their butts all too well. On the other hand, it keeps me busy fixing broken Window$ machines, so it's job security.

3. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

People are bring back new puters w/vista on them when they realize printer and scanners won't work and no quickbooks. Jon

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

bobdog

You can always try a bootable distribution of Linux. It boots right from the CD or DVD and does not require a hard drive to run. They usually self configure as they boot and will detect most hardware without issues. Ubuntu, Knoppix, Sabayon, and a host of others can run from the disk. Knoppix is intended to run from the disk and is not recommended for installation to the hard drive. Running one of these bootable distros will not usually interfere with the OS already installed on the system. They all seem to have a lot of support in the way of user forums. A DVD sized distribution has a ton of programs to work with. There is even an "Office" compatible suite that works pretty well. The best part is that you are not stuck with something installed on the machine that you might not want. It is usually free and you can try Linux out to see if you like it BEFORE making a commitment. Ubuntu will usually send you a disk for free or for a small donation to cover the costs. Most are free for the download. You just burn them to disk from a disk image file and you are good to go.

See the link above. Other places to look:

http://distrowatch.com/

http://www.knoppix.net/

5. ricks1

ricks1 Active Member

bought a dell in feb had vista on it i downloaded avast and vista REPAIRED its self and wiped out the info that i had i send it back and got a refund the first of june my old computer blew up so i thought i would get another dell and get the vista out of it well dell has gone back to XP with a sevice pack this one is fast for a dial up i just dont like McAfee it up grades and will shut down what ever you are doing rick

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

LINUX is a bad choice for average home users for a lot of reasons.

Chiefly, there are too many versions on the market and not all the limited software available for Linux will run on all of them.

Also, LINUX is an operating system, not and operating environment. It has no user interface; that is, by itself, it puts nothing on the screen to look at. The user has to find their own interface display to see what's going on on the internet. Doing all the manual configurations necessary to provide an interface is way beyond what most PC owners are capable of.

If Windows disappoints you, switch to a Mac.

7. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

I've been running vista since jan no problems other than nero.....but found a free alternative to it(imagburn)

This is on my laptop no less.

I wouldnt go back, its much easier on my eyes.(vector based graphics)

Brian Werner

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mac V

Have you really tried some of the current Linux Distros? If all you do is a email, internet browsing, a little word processing, a few spreadsheets, some image editing, and maybe a little video editing, Linux will do it with little or no configuration right out of the box. Most Distros come loaded with applications to cover most common tasks, including an Open Office Suite that is mostly compatible with Micro$oft Office. If you need a distro with more emphasis on a particular task, there is usually one made just for your purposes.

bobdog

Hardware support in Linux has been an issue with the Hardware vendors driver support. It eventually gets worked out. The 775 Chipset is supported in more Linux distros as time goes on. I have hardware that is not supported well in Windows either. If one's purpose is to use Linux, then the purchase of compatible hardware is not hard to accomplish. In the Enterprise community, businesses usually purchase hardware that is compatible or preloaded with their choice of operating systems. It's not rocket science, but it requires some planning, which is a must with any platform. This is not really a debate over the best Enterprise OS or Server platform. It's mostly targeted for personal use, so there would most likely be some flexibility in use and selection.

My point is that there are bootable Linux disks that can be used to try out Linux and see if you and your hardware work well with it. If not, just remove the disk and shut it down. Nothing to uninstall or get upset about about with making a bad purchase. All you invested is a little time. It can be downloaded for free and most distributions usually contain enough applications to get you through 95% or more of what you need to do. They are easy to use and will usually autoconfigure on your system with no issues. To try an alternative to Windows, you don't need to go out and pay a King's ransom for a Mac to find out it's WAY over priced and just "Oh SO Cute"! Not saying that a Mac doesn't have a place, just that it's not one that stands out for low cost. You can try Linux for the cost of a blank disk and a download, using your existing hardware. I won't even get into the advantages of running an OS on a system to surf the web with access to local drives disabled. NO problems with malware or viruses. Your environment can be in virtual memory and dissapears when you shut down, so nothing needs to remain, not even a browser history or cookies. Not all too bad for free!

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Those that don't want to pay MS for an office suite you can get Open Office for free and it does EVERYTHING that MS office does. See the above site for a download. I use it and love it.

Jerbear

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jerbear not to hijack the thread but, every time I try to install a program through the DVD/CD drives I get a message, ERROR 1719 it say windows installer is not working properly any idea just what the problem might be and how to fix.

Bob Lawless

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Deking00 Just where I was going to send him. Just download from the above site and reinstall.

Jerbear

12. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Guys, as I am in the market for a new laptop, are you saying if I order a Dell, I can get it with XP? I like XP (and mainly use Mozilla as my browser). Thoughts on just get the Vista or find the XP version.

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

jimx200, tell them you will not buy their laptop without XP. My friend just bought a Dell with XP because his CAD program would not work and he was out of business.

Jerbear

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I bought and installed McAfee when mine ran out and have had no problems with my dell. Plan on re buying it again next month for another year.

I just wish my Dell would read more than one gig ram. Ray

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

deking00 thank you for your efforts everything was going fine until I got to the step about the Keys then I was like that old TV show Lost in Space.

jerbear thank you also I downloaded the patch and it still gives me the 1719 Error.

Bob Lawless

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

admiral Art

If you need to save something, you can choose to access a local drive. Most of the live disk versions such as Knoppix mount all drives as "Read Only" by default. You can mount a drive and write to it if you wish, it's not recommended to write to NTFS partitions using Linux, but you can certainly read them just fine. You actually CAN write to NTFS, but there is a small risk of corrupting the drive. I can use a floppy, thumb drive, external usb/firewire/sata drive, network storage, network server, extra internal drive, ram drive, etc for data storage if I need to. You have a wide choice of file systems to choose from, as long as it isn't NTFS. My point was simple. You don't NEED to access your hard drive to run a live Linux disk. You can create a swap file to increase your virtual memory or use it without. System memory is ALL that is required, as long as it's ample. 256 Meg is about the bare minimum and it works well with 512 Meg and above. Using the Live disk let's you have access to your machine without the need to change, install, or store anything there.

The advantage is that you can surf the web without the need to worry about malware, cookies, and the rest of the bad stuff. It all simply goes away when you shut down, since it can run in volatile memory. You can also scan a system for viruses and malware without running Window$. I use it for repairs to hard drives, operating systems, data recovery, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.